PDA

View Full Version : tired little boy

jaytravis
05-08-2008, 04:56 PM
ive been temp childminding this week looked after him a few times his mum drops him off at 8am he has not lomg turned 2 when i had him on sat she says hes not to go to sleep in the day ok she just gone i told her he really neeeds a sleep he was falling asleep at the table and been really crying and grumpy the reason she doesnt want a sleep so he falls asleep in the car and will go straight to bed when she goes home(i give him tea) so he prob sees her bout a hour in the morn and thats it poor boy felt really bad esp when you could see how tired he is its not fiar on my other kids to see him crying and being so grump
glad its only this week

SimplyLucy
05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Awwww bless him.

I've been asked to only let my full time 23 month old sleep everyother day. Well today was a non-sleep day and he fell asleep on my carpet at 4 pm whilst playing with the farm set. His eyes just went all heavy and he dropped off still holding a cow and sitting up. I laid him down and gave him 20 minutes!

jaytravis
05-08-2008, 05:00 PM
im so tempted to give 30 mins bout 10ish

SimplyLucy
05-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Well it's not your fault if he falls asleep. You're putting the childs need first and it's a child led activity.....sleeping!

miffy
05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
im so tempted to give 30 mins bout 10ish

I would do too - I think it's awful how some parents expect you to keep their child awake, deal with them when they are grumpy because they're so tired whilst looking after lots of other children too.

Bet you any money the child would have a sleep if he was at home all day with mum!

Miffy xx

LisaH
05-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I would never stop a child from sleeping, I think its an awful thing to do!

Especially the ones who have to get up really early . One of my mindees gets up at 5.30!!! He arrives at my home at 7am and I put him down for a sleep after lunch because he is horrible when he is tired. Lol:)

fionamal
05-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Im of the beleif that if a child is tiered then let them sleep. Theres nothing worse than having a tierd grump child

Alibali
05-08-2008, 05:57 PM
How do you keep tired children awake? It's cruelty to not allow them a sleep if they need one, the parents should be happy for him to stay up a bit longer so they can see him.

Mrs.L.C
05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Do the parents not have problems at night? Children can get over tired then not sleep at night or wake in the night...I always thought sleep promotes sleep at night? its must be heart breaking for you having to keep them awake. Its heart breaking that the parents are happy to have their child fall asleep pretty much as soon as they collect...making a rod for their own back i say, letting them fall asleep in the car and not in the childs bed

Minstrel
05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
About 2 seems to be a really difficult age with sleeping in the day. my ds just turned 2 and insists he does not want to sleep in the day and can manage to stay up fine AS LONG AS WE DO NOT GO OUT IN THE CAR!!
he finds it impossible STILL to stay awake in the car no matter what time of day or how long the journey. I thought it was only newborns who did this??
Do you think it is normal? maybe hes just really sensitive to motion.

Mrs.L.C
05-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I had a little boy and once he turned 2 he refused his naps but fell asleep in the car...he even asked a few times if we could go out in the car....I think because he wanted to go to sleep. i dont thinks theres anything wrong with it. I was doing it in my teens lol

Minstrel
05-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I was doing it in my teens lol

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
05-08-2008, 07:51 PM
sleep deprivation is a form of torture and I would not stop a child from going of to sleep. I would rather let them have half an hour after lunch than let them nod of around 4ish.

Its parents selfishness to say that they don't want their child to sleep.
My ex-PFH (parents from hell) used to say about not letting their little one go to sleep but she nearly always dropped of lunch. Funnily enought the parents never mentioned that she had trouble getting of to sleep that evening as they told me she did when she had an afternoon sleep.

louise
05-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I was told awhile ago to stop naps with mindee who is now 2 1/2 sorry he is at mine at 8 goes home 6 or 6.30. He has a 15 min walk and a 15 min train ride. That is a long day. i said he needed it. Was told last night they have dropped it at home. I asked about her saying'what about here as its a long day.' She is fine for a short nap here now. (sorry it was a 1 1/2 today as he refused to wake up) Poor kid would like to spend time with parents as well. I let my son give up on his own.

Lou

EllieF
05-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I feel that if a child needs a sleep then they need a sleep, to not allow it is like abuse. A short nap wont hurt, and if it helps him to be happy and enjoy himself, then it is a must.
Poor little chap!
Ellie