PDA

View Full Version : iPad during meals

Hello you
17-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Hello everyone,

Hope you have had a great week start. I am here today to seek some tips and thanks
for your time...please, I am looking for help, those who does not know any advises, do not
say nasty things...
Who does know how to break a bad habit of a child who has to watch PEPA PIG cartoon in order
to be fed, if the IPad is not set up, she does start eating, at all...crazy, but is the reality!
many many thanks!!

Lal
17-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Hide the ipod.

Rubybubbles
17-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Needs to be removed completely

If a mindie I would not let them have it at all

Tealady
17-08-2015, 09:51 PM
No ipad allowed. If they don't eat tough. Be consistent. They will soon learn how things work at your house.

Simona
17-08-2015, 10:10 PM
In your setting you set the boundaries and rules
If you are working in the child's home then you need to talk to the parents who must have started the bad habit!

tess1981
17-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Polite and firm. Just say we have the ipad after lunch. They will soon understand. I have one mindee who constantly sucks a dummy at home.. she never leaves it down and would cause a row at collection tine to get it. But in mine she knows it is only for her sleep time she puts it straight into her bag in the morning and takes it out at sleep time she knows that's the only time she allowed it in my house ..
The child might not eat much for a few days but will quickly learn

Hello you
18-08-2015, 12:33 AM
Dear Simona, I am working at child's home, but her mother has asked me to solve the bad habit, she is desesperate because she knows it's been her fault. She needs HELP!
Thank you :)

In your setting you set the boundaries and rules
If you are working in the child's home then you need to talk to the parents who must have started the bad habit!

Kiddleywinks
18-08-2015, 06:47 AM
her mother has asked me to solve the bad habit, she is desesperate because she knows it's been her fault. She needs HELP! Thank you :) You won't be able to solve it alone... Mum will also need to say no, particularly if you aren't there, or any steps forward you do make will be undone as soon as you have a day off!

Mum (& you) need to take it away, but mum also has to be consistent, more stubborn than the child, and be prepared for a few 'hard & difficult' days (tears, tantrums, and possible refusal of food at least until the child realises they're hungry)

JCrakers
18-08-2015, 07:33 AM
No ipad...there will be tears and tantrums but both you and Mum are not to go back to giving it her back :D

Simona
18-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Dear Simona, I am working at child's home, but her mother has asked me to solve the bad habit, she is desesperate because she knows it's been her fault. She needs HELP!
Thank you :)

If the mum has asked for help it means she admits she has made the wrong decision to give the Ipad to... in a way... bribe her child to eat?

You can't solve the 'bad habit' on your own ...it needs cooperation from the mother.
Whatever rules you both decide to set the child needs to hear the same message from both of you

Sorry to ask but is this the same parent who asked for help with 'sleeping'?
maybe you need to sit down and work out a set of rules for everyone's sake
Good luck!

Hello you
18-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Dear Simona,

Apparently, the sleeping problems has been solved, by itself...the child is teething, 8 teeths at the same time,
she is suffering à lot, poor...I went there for a full day, yesterday and the IPAD is a big ISSUE
that she has not talked about, before.
The child is 13 months, in my opinion she is not too hungry because she is still having 3 bottles of milk a day, maybe if we start to cut down the afternoon bottle, she is going to be very hungry and it might help her to eat more without PEPA PIG ...
Anyway, lots of things to deal with...MANY THANKS ;)

If the mum has asked for help it means she admits she has made the wrong decision to give the Ipad to... in a way... bribe her child to eat?

You can't solve the 'bad habit' on your own ...it needs cooperation from the mother.
Whatever rules you both decide to set the child needs to hear the same message from both of you

Sorry to ask but is this the same parent who asked for help with 'sleeping'?
maybe you need to sit down and work out a set of rules for everyone's sake
Good luck!

moggy
18-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Dear Simona,

Apparently, the sleeping problems has been solved, by itself...the child is teething, 8 teeths at the same time,
she is suffering à lot, poor...I went there for a full day, yesterday and the IPAD is a big ISSUE
that she has not talked about, before.
The child is 13 months, in my opinion she is not too hungry because she is still having 3 bottles of milk a day, maybe if we start to cut down the afternoon bottle, she is going to be very hungry and it might help her to eat more without PEPA PIG ...
Anyway, lots of things to deal with...MANY THANKS ;)

3 bottles at 13 months is not ideal, NHS advise here: Drinks and cups for children - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/drinks-and-cups-children.aspx)

'If you're bottle feeding, it's a good idea to introduce a cup rather than a bottle from about six months onwards. By the time your baby is one, they should have stopped using bottles with teats. Otherwise, they may find it hard to break the habit of comfort sucking on a bottle. '

...and here: What to feed young children - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/understanding-food-groups.aspx)

'From the age of one, you can replace breast or infant formula with whole cows' milk or carry on breastfeeding. Try to give your child about three servings of milk a day, either as a drink or in the form of foods made from milk such as cheese, yoghurt or fromage frais. '

So, at 13 months a serving of yoghurt at breakfast, cheese at lunch and a cup of milk in the evening for example, is all the 'milk' they need. She'll be full up if having 3 bottles of formula.

Hello you
18-08-2015, 02:06 PM
You are absolutely right! Now, I have to find a way to tell the mother ... I hope I'll be listened!!!!

3 bottles at 13 months is not ideal, NHS advise here: Drinks and cups for children - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/drinks-and-cups-children.aspx)

'If you're bottle feeding, it's a good idea to introduce a cup rather than a bottle from about six months onwards. By the time your baby is one, they should have stopped using bottles with teats. Otherwise, they may find it hard to break the habit of comfort sucking on a bottle. '

...and here: What to feed young children - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/understanding-food-groups.aspx)

'From the age of one, you can replace breast or infant formula with whole cows' milk or carry on breastfeeding. Try to give your child about three servings of milk a day, either as a drink or in the form of foods made from milk such as cheese, yoghurt or fromage frais. '

So, at 13 months a serving of yoghurt at breakfast, cheese at lunch and a cup of milk in the evening for example, is all the 'milk' they need. She'll be full up if having 3 bottles of formula.

moggy
18-08-2015, 05:14 PM
You are absolutely right! Now, I have to find a way to tell the mother ... I hope I'll be listened!!!!

Good luck- sit together and look through that website, maybe, make some notes together and put together a plan. It is not going to change overnight, this will need time and gradual changes from all involved.

Hello you
18-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Moggy, I really appreciate your time and your lovely words, thanks à lot!

Good luck- sit together and look through that website, maybe, make some notes together and put together a plan. It is not going to change overnight, this will need time and gradual changes from all involved.

Simona
19-08-2015, 08:43 AM

As Moggy says: sit together and work things out ...I totally agree with that.
We cannot tell parents but we can support them in making the right choices and ....dare I say it....mend their ways when they have introduced 'bad habits' such as Ipad at mealtimes....although often these are measures to make 'parents' life easy and provide a nightmare for us carers!

When it comes to nutrition though I wonder why the HV has not picked this up...this child is 13 months after all!

Keep us posted!

bunyip
19-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Hello everyone,

Hope you have had a great week start. I am here today to seek some tips and thanks
for your time...please, I am looking for help, those who does not know any advises, do not
say nasty things...
Who does know how to break a bad habit of a child who has to watch PEPA PIG cartoon in order
to be fed, if the IPad is not set up, she does start eating, at all...crazy, but is the reality!
many many thanks!!

The bunyip way:-

Remove i-pad.
Place sausage sandwich in front of child.
State, clearly, "if you need Peppa Pig, you'll find her between those slices of bread. Get on with it."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................on second thoughts, maybe previous posts are ever so slightly more appropriate..........?........................ ;)

lizduncan72
19-08-2015, 02:59 PM
The bunyip way:- Remove i-pad. Place sausage sandwich in front of child. State, clearly, "if you need Peppa Pig, you'll find her between those slices of bread. Get on with it." Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................on second thoughts, maybe previous posts are ever so slightly more appropriate..........?........................ ;)

Love it! :)

blue bear
19-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Ipad needs to be hidden permanently. Gone no more,not after lunch if you or later when or gone on then because you are not well,been good, etc etc.
mum has to kick the habit on behalf of the child after all mum has caused the habit. Put the ipad in the loft tell the child it has gone and do t get it back put for at least six months and then only for rare treats such as in doctors waiting room and mum is totally desperate never ever as a bribe.

catswhiskers
19-08-2015, 09:19 PM
But this child is only 13 months old so I would just replace the ipad with something like a favourite toy with no explanation at 13 months. That's just me and as a childminder and my own aged 16, 19 and 22 and we don't own an ipad I suppose I'm being mean. Or just put on the TV as a background if the 13 month old needs support.

13 month old are very fussy eaters anyway so don't just blame the ipad.

Hello you
19-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Today, I was feeding her giving a jam with yoghurt and the mother came into the kitchen, the child
was crying because she is still getting used with me as her nanny and she is also struggling with
teething's pain, poor baby, so off course she was not happy and crying a bit, her mother has put the IPad in front of
her, I WANTED TO DIE AND THROW AWAY THE MACHINE, it is very hard....

Rubybubbles
20-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Today, I was feeding her giving a jam with yoghurt and the mother came into the kitchen, the child was crying because she is still getting used with me as her nanny and she is also struggling with teething's pain, poor baby, so off course she was not happy and crying a bit, her mother has put the IPad in front of her, I WANTED TO DIE AND THROW AWAY THE MACHINE, it is very hard....

For me in this case I would be wondering if I wanted to stay! Mum clearly just wants you to deal with it! I've been think g about this and how in as I think it is at 13 months old mum is relying on the iPad :-(

Simona
20-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Today, I was feeding her giving a jam with yoghurt and the mother came into the kitchen, the child
was crying because she is still getting used with me as her nanny and she is also struggling with
teething's pain, poor baby, so off course she was not happy and crying a bit, her mother has put the IPad in front of

If the mother put the Ipad in front of the child it means you and her have not sat down and 'agreed' a shared strategy and rules so the child does not get confused.

Also if the mother is at home when you are the nanny it is important she does not undermine you...which is exactly what she did.
It is your choice in the end...no point in wanting to die or throw the Ipad away...mother will get another one.

13 months should not be difficult at meals times, there should be no toys at the table ever and they can become 'fussy' if we do very on our boundaries.
Also settling in ...for you and the child...is very important.

bunyip
20-08-2015, 09:31 AM
But this child is only 13 months old so I would just replace the ipad with something like a favourite toy with no explanation at 13 months. That's just me and as a childminder and my own aged 16, 19 and 22 and we don't own an ipad I suppose I'm being mean. Or just put on the TV as a background if the 13 month old needs support.

13 month old are very fussy eaters anyway so don't just blame the ipad.

Tell me about it. :p Amongst my other reasons for "being mean" (the chief one being that I tell children off and don't let them get away with murder like at home) are:-

I don't own an i-pad
I don't own a tablet
no, you're not going to spend the day with the tv/computer/phone/whatever electronic gizmo your family gave you as a christening present/etc.
I don't own a car

and so on........................

Btw, whilst I have no problem with calling a spade a spade, don't be surprised if use of the term "fussy eater" results in being hunted down and shot by The Childcare Thought Police. ;)

bunyip
20-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Once more I find myself wondering why some parents want children when they'd probably be better off with a Tamagochi. :p

Hello you
20-08-2015, 09:47 AM
The thing is I CANNOT EVEN THINK ABOUT LEAVING THE JOB, because I do need so much!
The mother is going to go to work, very soon, I will be alone with the child, I'll have a hard job...

For me in this case I would be wondering if I wanted to stay! Mum clearly just wants you to deal with it! I've been think g about this and how in as I think it is at 13 months old mum is relying on the iPad :-(

Simona
20-08-2015, 10:10 AM
I don't think anyone is hunting down those who call children 'fussy eaters' Bunyip...up to us which terminology we want to use...it is a different point of view and this is not 1984 controlled by the Thought Police in the Ministry of Plenty!!
What is a fussy eater?

I do own an Ipad, a PC and laptop...the children are certainly allowed to use them but at specific times and under my supervision following my setting's rules.

Hello You....If you cannot leave the job then be honest with Mum and tell her you will not be allowing an Ipad at mealtimes...I am confident the child will respond to your boundaries if the parent is not willing to try....you would not be able to let her have it while the other children will not be allowed to have one.
If the mother understands that you 'need the job' desperately she is less likely to co-operate...be assertive and explain your worries to her.

bunyip
20-08-2015, 10:19 AM
I don't think anyone is hunting down those who call children 'fussy eaters' Bunyip...up to us which terminology we want to use...it is a different point of view and this is not 1984 controlled by the Thought Police in the Ministry of Plenty!!
What is a fussy eater?

I do own an Ipad, a PC and laptop...the children are certainly allowed to use them but at specific times and under my supervision following my setting's rules.

Hello You....If you cannot leave the job then be honest with Mum and tell her you will not be allowing an Ipad at mealtimes...I am confident the child will respond to your boundaries if the parent is not willing to try....you would not be able to let her have it while the other children will not be allowed to have one.
If the mother understands that you 'need the job' desperately she is less likely to co-operate...be assertive and explain your worries to her.

I was........................ according to the city council's educational psychologist. :jump for joy:

smurfette
20-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Once more I find myself wondering why some parents want children when they'd probably be better off with a Tamagochi. :p

lol true true !

Hello you
20-08-2015, 01:27 PM
They just want to have children but some of them do not know nothing about childcare and they do not know where to get the right information to help them,...they put too much emotion in education/routines and this is the mainly problem, they don't want to feel guilty using boundaries etc...etc...etc...

Simona
21-08-2015, 08:57 AM
They just want to have children but some of them do not know nothing about childcare and they do not know where to get the right information to help them,...they put too much emotion in education/routines and this is the mainly problem, they don't want to feel guilty using boundaries etc...etc...etc...

I think that many parents genuinely do not know what to expect from their children in terms of development and other issues.
After all no one is really taught how to be a parent...maybe we should take up the Swedish style where pregnant mums are informed and attend sessions to prepare them to be a parent.

To say parents have nowhere to get information is really not true...parents have several sources of information and help such as Health Visitor, Children's Centres and anything they can get their hands on online....and support groups such as NCT.
Information about childcare is really freely available and they get bombarded by the govt too.

Once they use childcare they have the opportunity to share tips with providers and we with them but this is a sore subject as we have to approach it carefully so not to undermine parents

I do believe a lot of parents have that guilty feeling about going to work and leaving their child but there are various patterns of work they can choose and depends on why they go back to work?

Why would parents feel guilty about using boundaries?
they can be shown that boundaries and an authoritative parenting style is what they need to adopt...I feel many parents are very indulgent and give in for peace and quiet....and we are left to pick up the pieces!

Hello you
21-08-2015, 11:29 AM
It is always a pleasure to read what you have to say, thank you!

I think that many parents genuinely do not know what to expect from their children in terms of development and other issues.
After all no one is really taught how to be a parent...maybe we should take up the Swedish style where pregnant mums are informed and attend sessions to prepare them to be a parent.

To say parents have nowhere to get information is really not true...parents have several sources of information and help such as Health Visitor, Children's Centres and anything they can get their hands on online....and support groups such as NCT.
Information about childcare is really freely available and they get bombarded by the govt too.

Once they use childcare they have the opportunity to share tips with providers and we with them but this is a sore subject as we have to approach it carefully so not to undermine parents

I do believe a lot of parents have that guilty feeling about going to work and leaving their child but there are various patterns of work they can choose and depends on why they go back to work?

Why would parents feel guilty about using boundaries?
they can be shown that boundaries and an authoritative parenting style is what they need to adopt...I feel many parents are very indulgent and give in for peace and quiet....and we are left to pick up the pieces!

mandy moo
21-08-2015, 01:31 PM
I thought at first perhaps you were the unfortunate childminder that was chosen for this child.....

seen on a parenting website!!

iPad at the dinner table
My 2 year old boy eats like a pigeon and refuses to sit for more than 5 mins at the dinner table. The majority of his dinner always ends up in the bin. Today he's faffed around with food and hardly properly eaten anything so at dinner time I gave in and put Peppa on the iPad and sat it in front of him at the table. Needless to say he scoffed everything on his plate.

He's a solid boy with tons of energy so it's not like he's not getting nourishment, although I've no idea how as he just grazes all day. Do I continue letting him watch the iPad at the table to get him to eat? Or am I causing more harm than good? It's not something I'm very happy about as we're quite strict at us all eating together as a family at dinner time but I'm fed up of him not eating a square meal and putting so much food in the bin

Mum received a few replys saying it prehaps it wasnt a good idea, then this below

Thanks all. I've tried to reduce the amount of snacks but because he's such a rubbish meal-eater I feel guilty for saying no to a biscuit or whatever. But I guess that's a vicious cycle.

Also he eats his breakfast and lunch at his little table in the living room where his toys and telly are because it gives me a chance to get my bits done. I know that's probably bad? Anyway all this routine is about to change as he goes to a childminder full time in two weeks!

lizduncan72
21-08-2015, 02:17 PM
I thought at first perhaps you were the unfortunate childminder that was chosen for this child..... seen on a parenting website!! iPad at the dinner table My 2 year old boy eats like a pigeon and refuses to sit for more than 5 mins at the dinner table. The majority of his dinner always ends up in the bin. Today he's faffed around with food and hardly properly eaten anything so at dinner time I gave in and put Peppa on the iPad and sat it in front of him at the table. Needless to say he scoffed everything on his plate. He's a solid boy with tons of energy so it's not like he's not getting nourishment, although I've no idea how as he just grazes all day. Do I continue letting him watch the iPad at the table to get him to eat? Or am I causing more harm than good? It's not something I'm very happy about as we're quite strict at us all eating together as a family at dinner time but I'm fed up of him not eating a square meal and putting so much food in the bin Mum received a few replys saying it prehaps it wasnt a good idea, then this below Thanks all. I've tried to reduce the amount of snacks but because he's such a rubbish meal-eater I feel guilty for saying no to a biscuit or whatever. But I guess that's a vicious cycle. Also he eats his breakfast and lunch at his little table in the living room where his toys and telly are because it gives me a chance to get my bits done. I know that's probably bad? Anyway all this routine is about to change as he goes to a childminder full time in two weeks!

Lucky childminder!!! Glad it's not me :)

Simona
21-08-2015, 04:33 PM
I thought at first perhaps you were the unfortunate childminder that was chosen for this child.....

seen on a parenting website!!

iPad at the dinner table
My 2 year old boy eats like a pigeon and refuses to sit for more than 5 mins at the dinner table. The majority of his dinner always ends up in the bin. Today he's faffed around with food and hardly properly eaten anything so at dinner time I gave in and put Peppa on the iPad and sat it in front of him at the table. Needless to say he scoffed everything on his plate.

He's a solid boy with tons of energy so it's not like he's not getting nourishment, although I've no idea how as he just grazes all day. Do I continue letting him watch the iPad at the table to get him to eat? Or am I causing more harm than good? It's not something I'm very happy about as we're quite strict at us all eating together as a family at dinner time but I'm fed up of him not eating a square meal and putting so much food in the bin

Mum received a few replys saying it prehaps it wasnt a good idea, then this below

Thanks all. I've tried to reduce the amount of snacks but because he's such a rubbish meal-eater I feel guilty for saying no to a biscuit or whatever. But I guess that's a vicious cycle.

Also he eats his breakfast and lunch at his little table in the living room where his toys and telly are because it gives me a chance to get my bits done. I know that's probably bad? Anyway all this routine is about to change as he goes to a childminder full time in two weeks!

This made me giggle...child grazes on biscuits or snacks then mum is furious he does not eat a square meal?
She has strict rules but gives in to the iPad? Why is it always Peppa Pig?
And he has his breakfast and lunch surrounded by IT so she gets a chance to get on with her bits
Say no more...poor cm indeed! And poor confused child :rolleyes:

bunyip
21-08-2015, 06:08 PM
It's not unlike the ones I get.

The ones where the parents all say, "I think it's absolutely brilliant that you walk everywhere with the children."

Which naturally implies that the sentence should end, "............because we drive everywhere, and you're the only chance of them ever getting any sort of exercise." :p

Hello you
24-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Little detail, they want their child speaking several languages but they are not able to promote good behaviour :)

This made me giggle...child grazes on biscuits or snacks then mum is furious he does not eat a square meal?
She has strict rules but gives in to the iPad? Why is it always Peppa Pig?
And he has his breakfast and lunch surrounded by IT so she gets a chance to get on with her bits
Say no more...poor cm indeed! And poor confused child :rolleyes:

Simona
24-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Little detail, they want their child speaking several languages but they are not able to promote good behaviour :)

Do you remember when the Teletubbies was the hot programme to watch for young children?
They all ended up talking Teletubbies rubbish!
Can't imagine what Peppa Pig will teach kids...how to go oink....oink!

smurfette
24-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Do you remember when the Teletubbies was the hot programme to watch for young children? They all ended up talking Teletubbies rubbish! Can't imagine what Peppa Pig will teach kids...how to go oink....oink!

I worked in a nursery once where a child clearly watched teletubbies 24/7 .. It was shocking really she was almost 4 and the parents had to be told she wasn't school ready .. She actually did the walk and talked like them!

clareelizabeth1
25-08-2015, 10:44 AM
I think Peppa pig is the bane of my life.

My DS was introduced to her by cousins and now we get in the car barley even pulled out the drive and he's asking are we there yet. It's so boring. She is the most braty TV character ever and makes me want to eat bacon continually

bunyip
25-08-2015, 04:56 PM
I think Peppa pig is the bane of my life.

My DS was introduced to her by cousins and now we get in the car barley even pulled out the drive and he's asking are we there yet. It's so boring. She is the most braty TV character ever and makes me want to eat bacon continually

Me too, but for very different reasons.

They say time is the greatest healer, but even after all these years I'm still bitter that the commissioning committee of Channel 5's Milkshake rejected my very own concept for a top-quality children's show. I'd have made a fortune from the marketing alone.

It was a truly wonderful, charming and original idea. It had everything.

It was all about a family of pink clothes pegs who lived on an improbably steep hill and had lots of adventures together.

But, sadly, despite all the hard work and creative effort I put into it, 'Pippa Peg' was destined never to be seen................ :ohdear:

Simona
25-08-2015, 07:04 PM
iPad alert!
The 3 day nanny has this to sort out tonight?
Channel 4 now

Hello you
29-08-2015, 08:46 PM
I have not watched that, shame...

moggy
30-08-2015, 06:05 AM
I have not watched that, shame...

The Three Day Nanny - All 4 (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-three-day-nanny)

You can see it online, free. I watched it after reading about it here- it is really good, worth watching. Series 2 Episode 5 had the iPads in but I guess others episodes do too.

How are things going for you now?

Hello you
30-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Dear Moggy,

Thanks for asking, you are adorable. I've explained to the parents that if they do not cooperate with banning IPad during meals, they are not going to cut off this habit, altogether, because I cannot do it alone, the partnership between me and them is very important...they seem agreed, but I am not there during dîner time neither during weekends.

The child is still settling with me, getting used, she cries a lot during meals time.
She keeps the food inside her mouth, taking ages to swallow, sometimes she spits it of, I take an hour to feed her, it is a BATTLE :p

Other little detail, the mother rock her to help her fall asleep in a rocking chair, and I have to do the same, I do not agree with this habit because she is going to have hard time when she goes to the nursery next year, nobody is going to rock her, so this is a new concern that is emerging in my head.
It is their first child, the child is a princess but as a carer I do not know if I follow the mothers instructions to not have problems with her or if I say what I really think about it.

This child has lots of bad habits, poor baby!

I am still needing help from you all, sorry about that!

Thanks à lot!

The Three Day Nanny - All 4 (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-three-day-nanny)

You can see it online, free. I watched it after reading about it here- it is really good, worth watching. Series 2 Episode 5 had the iPads in but I guess others episodes do too.

How are things going for you now?

Simona
31-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Dear Moggy,

Thanks for asking, you are adorable. I've explained to the parents that if they do not cooperate with banning IPad during meals, they are not going to cut off this habit, altogether, because I cannot do it alone, the partnership between me and them is very important...they seem agreed, but I am not there during dîner time neither during weekends.

The child is still settling with me, getting used, she cries a lot during meals time.
She keeps the food inside her mouth, taking ages to swallow, sometimes she spits it of, I take an hour to feed her, it is a BATTLE :p

Other little detail, the mother rock her to help her fall asleep in a rocking chair, and I have to do the same, I do not agree with this habit because she is going to have hard time when she goes to the nursery next year, nobody is going to rock her, so this is a new concern that is emerging in my head.
It is their first child, the child is a princess but as a carer I do not know if I follow the mothers instructions to not have problems with her or if I say what I really think about it.

This child has lots of bad habits, poor baby!

I am still needing help from you all, sorry about that!

Thanks à lot!

I feel for you and well done for being persistent and continuing at your job....do stick to your guns...the parenst have in tend show respect for you and co-operate!

Why not suggest to mum she too watches the 3 Day nanny with you...or by herself ? it will be a good positive lesson for her
in most cases the habit and behaviour exhibited by the children were due to parents inability to understand these were easily addressed by a simple change of boundaries and parenting style.

I think we have all seen these examples you mention: rocking to sleep, dummies, and Ipad use at inappropriate times and all can be stopped...the children will be the winners for it.

Hello you
04-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Hi everybody, how has been your week?

Well, I have new's to tell you, about my experience. The mother is not following my advises,
as she keeps putting the IPad on for the child during feeding time, but, she is hidding it from
me and also she gives milk to the child during the night when she wakes up because of her
teething pain, she does not say the truth and I think it is sad.

To make the child eating is very tiring, I spend at least 1h and she cries à lot....I do not how to
deal with this kind of situation, it is very frustrating because I want to do a proper job, you know?

Simona
05-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Hi everybody, how has been your week?

Well, I have new's to tell you, about my experience. The mother is not following my advises,
as she keeps putting the IPad on for the child during feeding time, but, she is hidding it from
me and also she gives milk to the child during the night when she wakes up because of her
teething pain, she does not say the truth and I think it is sad.

To make the child eating is very tiring, I spend at least 1h and she cries à lot....I do not how to
deal with this kind of situation, it is very frustrating because I want to do a proper job, you know?

Great week...thank you.... but can't say the same for you!!
it sounds as if you are having a tough time and making no progress.
It looks like mum does not want to co-operate with you and find some 'common' behaviour guidelines.

Personally I feel there are 2 paths you can take

1. stay and put up with it
but make sure you are clear on 'who is in charge' at mealtimes. If both you and mum are there the child will continue to be confused by the different boundaries.

2. Start looking for an alternative position.
We know you 'need the job' but there are many families who also need a good nanny who is willing to work with them and for them....if that is what you feel is best you would give the appropriate notice when you find a different job.

Speak to mum one last time but this time make sure she gets the message.
Keep us posted.

Hello you
05-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Dear adorable Simona!

The thing is the mother is who makes the food for the child and she is not at home anymore as she came back to her professional life!

I have only to keep the child eating the food she prepared for the child and it is very hard moment for me and for the child.
Personally I do not care about her crying, but it is just tiring situation....

Anyway, the position suits me perfect, only feeding and sleeping time complicated situation for me to deal with.

Thank you so much!

Great week...thank you.... but can't say the same for you!!
it sounds as if you are having a tough time and making no progress.
It looks like mum does not want to co-operate with you and find some 'common' behaviour guidelines.

Personally I feel there are 2 paths you can take

1. stay and put up with it
but make sure you are clear on 'who is in charge' at mealtimes. If both you and mum are there the child will continue to be confused by the different boundaries.

2. Start looking for an alternative position.
We know you 'need the job' but there are many families who also need a good nanny who is willing to work with them and for them....if that is what you feel is best you would give the appropriate notice when you find a different job.

Speak to mum one last time but this time make sure she gets the message.
Keep us posted.