PDA

View Full Version : Weekend care

mumofone
17-08-2015, 06:07 PM
I just wondered if I want to start offering care on a Saturday or Sunday (by special arrangement( how I go about this with OFSTED? Thanks :-)

moggy
17-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Email Ofsted (so it is in writing), informing them of change to your opening hours (assuming you put Mon-Fri as opening hours when you registered?) and ask for confirmation of receipt in writing. That is all. I have done it when I took on a child for early starts and late finishes, it is no problem but it is an EYFS requirement to inform Ofsted of changes of opening hours.

mumofone
17-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Email Ofsted (so it is in writing), informing them of change to your opening hours (assuming you put Mon-Fri as opening hours when you registered?) and ask for confirmation of receipt in writing. That is all. I have done it when I took on a child for early starts and late finishes, it is no problem but it is an EYFS requirement to inform Ofsted of changes of opening hours.

Thanks moggy I guess it's for their info only, it doesn't require me to get a new certificate (like when I added myself to the voluntary childcare register)?

mumofone
17-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Oh sorry I meant to ask too whether people found whether there was any demand for weekend care?

moggy
17-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks moggy I guess it's for their info only, it doesn't require me to get a new certificate (like when I added myself to the voluntary childcare register)?

No, our certificates do not mention our opening hours so no new certificate needed.

I have never been asked to do weekend care, but then I have not advertised for it!

I should think if you live near a hospital or similar where there are shift workers every day of the week there may be some demand, but most parents would use partner/family/friends at weekends I should think as most people are free then. But worth trying, good luck with it.

natlou82
17-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Look on childcare.co.uk to see what the demand is like in your area. I notice quite a few in my area particularly those parents who work in retail. I was also asked for Saturday's by a couple who run a busy cafe. I don't work weekends as they are too precious to me.

JoRo163
17-08-2015, 08:28 PM
There's definitely a demand in this area. I've had a few enquiries for weekend care. I'd only consider it though, if I had no other work on. My daughter needs some time when it's just us and so do I! That said, if I did offer weekend care, the fee would be higher than the usually weekday rate, that's for sure!

mumofone
19-08-2015, 10:44 AM
How would you charge for this too? Would you do a flat day rate (I usually charge by hour) or still charge by the hour? And would you charge higher than your normal rate and if so 1.5 or double normal rate?
I realise it's up to me ultimately but interested if anyone does this and what you do, thanks :-)

JoRo163
20-08-2015, 08:39 AM
How would you charge for this too? Would you do a flat day rate (I usually charge by hour) or still charge by the hour? And would you charge higher than your normal rate and if so 1.5 or double normal rate? I realise it's up to me ultimately but interested if anyone does this and what you do, thanks :-)

I'd charge 1.5 for a Saturday & double for a Sunday.

Simona
20-08-2015, 09:00 AM
I am reading this with interest because of the possible questions it may present in future if the 30 Hours of childcare becomes real.

We hear often that childcare is not flexible enough and that we need to address the atypical working such as shift and weekends.

It maybe that parents will ask for more and more cover for weekends and also overnight care in future.
I actually know they are already asking but find it difficult to find providers....I sat next to a mum who worked overnight all the time...her only hope was a CM but she said they were in short supply.

I have heard of nurseries opening at weekends and also 'overnight' provision...all is possible if the govt changes the requirements on opening hours to allow 'working parents' an easier way to get to work!!

Could it be that these parents may want to use their 'free' entitlement for weekends and overnight?
What would we charge?...that is a loaded question.

I think it maybe a useful issue to address at the Big Childcare Conversation conference on 19 September.

I shall certainly have it on my list of questions.

bunyip
20-08-2015, 10:16 AM
The main problem I have is that I don't want to work 7 days a week. So if I work weekends, I'd be looking to have 2 weekdays without children, so as to give me time for admin, etc. plus a little leisure/family time. But doing this makes me less useful for the majority of parents.

The other thing I've noticed IME is that many parents seeking a weekend CM don't want childcare every weekend. It's frequently on a shift pattern or "two weekends on, one weekend off" basis. The nature of weekend work is that it frequently involves low-paid jobs (and I should know, having done that sort of stuff for a quarter century). So the parents are rarely keen to pay even a retainer (at higher weekend fee rates) for their 'weekend off'. The net result is that the CM is likely to be working well below their ratio/capacity, which means we have to question whether it's worth the trouble.

I suspect this might be a more viable proposal for nurseries who could exploit an unequal labour market to force staff into shifts: something that's not an option for the self-employed CM.

But even nurseries would then face higher costs for staff and premises, thus pushing up fees. So they'd either charge a weekend premium rate or a higher fee for everyone across the whole week.

If the level of funding didn't meet this, then the nurseries wouldn't benefit from doing it, and parents needing weekend care are back to square one. Again, we're left asking the sustainability question over the so-called "free" hours. :(

Simona
20-08-2015, 10:36 AM
The main problem I have is that I don't want to work 7 days a week. So if I work weekends, I'd be looking to have 2 weekdays without children, so as to give me time for admin, etc. plus a little leisure/family time. But doing this makes me less useful for the majority of parents.

The other thing I've noticed IME is that many parents seeking a weekend CM don't want childcare every weekend. It's frequently on a shift pattern or "two weekends on, one weekend off" basis. The nature of weekend work is that it frequently involves low-paid jobs (and I should know, having done that sort of stuff for a quarter century). So the parents are rarely keen to pay even a retainer (at higher weekend fee rates) for their 'weekend off'. The net result is that the CM is likely to be working well below their ratio/capacity, which means we have to question whether it's worth the trouble.

I suspect this might be a more viable proposal for nurseries who could exploit an unequal labour market to force staff into shifts: something that's not an option for the self-employed CM.

But even nurseries would then face higher costs for staff and premises, thus pushing up fees. So they'd either charge a weekend premium rate or a higher fee for everyone across the whole week.

If the level of funding didn't meet this, then the nurseries wouldn't benefit from doing it, and parents needing weekend care are back to square one. Again, we're left asking the sustainability question over the so-called "free" hours. :(

Absolutely Bunyip...it would be our choice if we decided to work weekends...whether it is every weekend or some weekends
For some CMs working weekends would be very appealing ...not for others and who can blame them?

This type of care is also already given to those who work for an airline...they give you their roster, which they get in advance, and care is arranged...so very much ad hoc

I would be very curious to see how nurseries will deal with this...will they have dormitories?
will they pay more if the staff get days off in lieu during the week? or will they employ weekend/overnight staff?

I cannot but think the govt has shot itself in the foot many times over...if they do not review the funding appropriately they will have a huge mess on their hands and plenty of parents complaining their 'needs' are not met after voting for the govt's promises!

bunyip
20-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Absolutely Bunyip...it would be our choice if we decided to work weekends...whether it is every weekend or some weekends
For some CMs working weekends would be very appealing ...not for others and who can blame them?

This type of care is also already given to those who work for an airline...they give you their roster, which they get in advance, and care is arranged...so very much ad hoc

I would be very curious to see how nurseries will deal with this...will they have dormitories?
will they pay more if the staff get days off in lieu during the week? or will they employ weekend/overnight staff?

I cannot but think the govt has shot itself in the foot many times over...if they do not review the funding appropriately they will have a huge mess on their hands and plenty of parents complaining their 'needs' are not met after voting for the govt's promises!

Agreed. But was the election promise ever about meeting childcare needs, or was it another soundbite con to meet the Party's needs for votes?

Any Party statement which includes the term "hard-working families" should come with a Newspeak warning and a large pinch of salt. :mad:

Simona
20-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Agreed. But was the election promise ever about meeting childcare needs, or was it another soundbite con to meet the Party's needs for votes?

Any Party statement which includes the term "hard-working families" should come with a Newspeak warning and a large pinch of salt. :mad:

I don't think 'meeting childcare needs' was ever on the agenda so definetely a huge sound bite to get votes...a bit like those now promising 'universal' childcare without telling us how they will fund it because someone says he would so they all jump on the bandwagon :rolleyes:

I have only seen one statement not referring to 'hard working families'
I think Big Brother will be watching and ensuring that funding goes ONLY to kids whose parents are labouring away and if providers get it wrong ...it's Room 101 for us!

mumofone
20-08-2015, 01:09 PM
The main problem I have is that I don't want to work 7 days a week. So if I work weekends, I'd be looking to have 2 weekdays without children, so as to give me time for admin, etc. plus a little leisure/family time. But doing this makes me less useful for the majority of parents. The other thing I've noticed IME is that many parents seeking a weekend CM don't want childcare every weekend. It's frequently on a shift pattern or "two weekends on, one weekend off" basis. The nature of weekend work is that it frequently involves low-paid jobs (and I should know, having done that sort of stuff for a quarter century). So the parents are rarely keen to pay even a retainer (at higher weekend fee rates) for their 'weekend off'. The net result is that the CM is likely to be working well below their ratio/capacity, which means we have to question whether it's worth the trouble. I suspect this might be a more viable proposal for nurseries who could exploit an unequal labour market to force staff into shifts: something that's not an option for the self-employed CM. But even nurseries would then face higher costs for staff and premises, thus pushing up fees. So they'd either charge a weekend premium rate or a higher fee for everyone across the whole week. If the level of funding didn't meet this, then the nurseries wouldn't benefit from doing it, and parents needing weekend care are back to square one. Again, we're left asking the sustainability question over the so-called "free" hours. :(

I guess my thinking really was just as occasional one off boosts to my income (especially as I'm still establishing myself so extra income would be nice). Rather than covering someone's regular weekend shift I was more thinking someone wants to go to a wedding or event and they need childcare. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to work every weekend or even more than one a month for the exact reasons you mention :-)

k1rstie
20-08-2015, 03:43 PM
I guess my thinking really was just as occasional one off boosts to my income (especially as I'm still establishing myself so extra income would be nice). Rather than covering someone's regular weekend shift I was more thinking someone wants to go to a wedding or event and they need childcare. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to work every weekend or even more than one a month for the exact reasons you mention :-)

I think you are right, there is a big difference between one ad hoc occasion, and every Saturday.

I would always try to help my exciting families who needed emergency extra cover such as if they needed to visit a sick relative and could not take child, or a wedding.

I did at one time think about offering Saturday cover as my husband works everywhere Saturday in retail, so is never home during the Saturday day time. Then a realised that I would have to get dressed every Saturday, and so would my children.

Before accepting weekend care, think about the impact on the whole family.

Mouse
20-08-2015, 03:59 PM
The only times I have done weekend care has been when current parents need me to cover the day. That may have been because of shift work, or because they had somewhere to go to. I charged double time as it meant they only used me if they really had to and didn't just decide they fancied a child-free day!

I wouldn't want to do it regularly, but it's fine as an occasional thing.

Simona
20-08-2015, 07:28 PM

You certainly do not need to work every weekend if that is not what suits you....as self employed the choice is yours.
What you are thinking is very good...the occasional weekend to boost income or, as Mouse says doing it for established families for special reasons such as weddings or such like.

There may be CMs who would consider working weekends and taking a day or two off during the week in lieu...those with husbands/partners who themselves work shifts...the world is really our oyster

The discussion was looking at the 'possibility' that parents may be able to use their entitlement over the weekend
I am sure it won't be compulsory for CMs to do so...it is after all a childcare market so we can compete or not!