PDA

View Full Version : Well...i wanted a quieter summer...but Help!

JCrakers
12-08-2015, 07:24 AM
The past 6 summers I've had a houseful of children 5 days a week and ended up exhausted by September. When I first started all the children were under 5yrs so it was nice (although tiring) they all played well together and the day went fast as I was so busy. The 3-4 older children are boys so it became boisterous the older they got and became something I didn't look forward to. With 3 little ones to look after and 3-4 older boisterous boys who couldn't always have my full attention and cooped up in the house when it rained hard was no fun.

Over time they have grown (obviously..lol) and 3 are 11yrs and going to secondary school in Sept. Its great to have them all afterschool because they get on well, we have the park nearby and its only for 2-3hrs but was 10hrs in the holidays. :panic:
Last Year in the school holidays I started taking the school children to the new sports club at the school which was fantastic for them and me. It felt just like a school day for me and they were getting 6hrs of sports. Its working really well and I shall continue to do this.

Even though there's 1 day a week i'm getting up at 7.10am for an 8am arrive. Dropping him down at the sports club and earning £3.50 for the day, its not the best but I don't mind.

But...next week I have 1x11yr old boy for 3 full days (8am-5.15pm) because the sports club isn't on. The more I think about it the worse I feel...i've tried to put it out of my head because even though I know him well and he's been coming here since he was 4...what the heck are we going to do all day...lol

I don't have a car so we are limited to local area.

Anyone have any ideas to throw at me...maybe something heavy to knock me out and then I wont have to think about it :D

TinyTinker
12-08-2015, 10:07 AM
wow! I feel for you!

I used to have a house full of babies/toddlers, but now they have all grown, I seem to have a house of 5 year olds! and thought they were hard work, lol. cannot imagine what I would do with 11 year olds!

I originally only wanted to mind babies and pre-school children and as there is a great before/after school club in the area I didn't see it a problem when they started school - but due to lack of that said pre-school business in my area I have had to hang on to all my mindees as they grew. My setting isn't really kitted out for older children, none of my resources go beyond 5/6 years of age!

Everything I can think of doing with older children usually involves money! most older children I have come across either want open spaces to do as they please in or need a video game controller in their hand for most of the day!

Mouse
12-08-2015, 11:17 AM
You have my sympathy!

Look at the positives - it's only 3 days not 5, at least you know him and there's only 1 11yr old (although that could also make things harder as he'll have no one to play with).

I'd try to find things that will take him a long time to do - cleaning the windows, polishing throughout the house, sorting out the shed...

..ooops, sorry, that's my list for when DH is off work and I need to keep him occupied and out of my way all day :p

What about a complicated Lego kit, or if the weather's good, how about getting him to make a den with bamboo canes and string?

http://m.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/sites/default/files/folders/documents/childreneducationandfamilies/educationandlearning/earlyyearschildcare/workinginearlyyears/outofschool/activitiesandresources/canedeninstructionsforwepages.pdf

clareelizabeth1
12-08-2015, 11:42 AM
I think I might be tempted to get him to do stuff for the younger children like maybe make labels for the boxes of set up small world scenes.

Lego would be a must and I would prob get a computery type thing for him to play on. The the park or if you know some of his friends parents could you arrange to meet with them at the park so that they can let off steam together.

Or you could even tell parents that you've just realised he will be your only older one next week and think he might be bored but if they could arrange for him to go to a friends instead you will refund the day. I've done that before as it just felt easier

Lal
12-08-2015, 11:59 AM
How about the chance to cook a meal? Set him a budget and give him some recipes to choose and let him get on with it (supervising as necessary). Also it might be a good opportunity for him to try some craft activities. I've found that when boys of that age know none of their friends are around they are suddenly more interested in craft stuff.

I spent one summer as a nanny having a battleships championship against a 10 year old- he drew up a points board and worked out a (over complicated) scoring system.

poppy321
12-08-2015, 03:00 PM
My son is 12 and has grown up with our house always been full of mindees!;)he has got used to the company, even tho at times I've felt he would have preferred some one to one time with me.
Your 11 yr old may actually really enjoy spending some real quality time with you doing lots of activities that u have thought about just for him. Have a few extras in mind so u can give him different options and choices and also fit around the weather. Here are some of the things my son enjoys...sometimes I have to say "no,not now", to him as they take too long or are too messy or he may need help that I can't give while I have the younger children here!

He really enjoys cooking, pick something that he could b creative with.maybe go to the shop to get those extra ingredients first. Make a stir fry or a cake,a fruit smoothie,a trifle?even piping icing or chocolate on digestive biscuits. Making bread?He could make up his own recipe...fruit,ice cream,choc chip cookies???

Play monopoly with him...he will love the competition
Teach him to play cards,this is something busy parents don't really get time to do,but once he,s learnt,he would then be able to play on family holidays or with grandparents?

Make paper mache(just flour,water and newspaper)cover a balloon with it and make a mask. This can b done stage by stage over 3 days.

Have any of yr friends got a dog? Ask if u can borrow him/her. Take it out on a walk.

Paint by numbers.some are quite challenging and could be done over the 3 days.
What about helping him to do his family tree on line. You could speak to his parents for help with this.

Take him on a train trip. Nowhere too far but u could take a pack lunch,visit a museum,park,place of local interest that you could decide on before your trip.

Look on groupon for cheap deals for cinema or ten pin bowling.find out about early bird sessions.

Have u heard of nano lego? We love it. You could prob find it v cheap on eBay. It's like tiny lego tiles. Very addictive little kits. Also have you heard of the 3d model building kits,we have one of London bridge,houses of parliament.

Do you have a laminator? How about asking him if he could help you make some resources for the younger children. My son printed of sheets of money then laminated them. The younger children really enjoy playing shops and love having their own laminated money to buy each other's goods! Make yr own unique picture bingo.

What about the two of you making a water play activity in yr garden for yr younger children. You just need old piece of drain pipe that u can cut using a small hand saw,string,marg tubs etc.that would b a good design challenge for him?

If all else fails,u could see if u could get together with another minder! Why don't u email him and actually ask him what he'd really like to do? He might just suggest a movie or going swimming,which would take up most of the morning!

Have u got an old picture you don't use? Get him to repaint the frame and then get a selection of photos,overlap them all to make a collage. He could perhaps print some off at home to bring with him?
Hope this helps!

Maza
12-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Geo caching?

Do you just have this 11 year old or will you have little ones as well?

greenfaerie
12-08-2015, 05:32 PM
I love looking after older kids, mostly I just used to play Monopoly, chess, connect 4 etc or interactive computer games where you could play as a group, or football or tennis. I used to work in the Over 8 room of an after school club and that was fantastic for me. :)

Trying to balance that with young children as well though would be hard! I don't know how I'd do that. :S

redtiger21
13-08-2015, 06:43 AM
My son is 12 and has grown up with our house always been full of mindees!;)he has got used to the company, even tho at times I've felt he would have preferred some one to one time with me.
Your 11 yr old may actually really enjoy spending some real quality time with you doing lots of activities that u have thought about just for him. Have a few extras in mind so u can give him different options and choices and also fit around the weather. Here are some of the things my son enjoys...sometimes I have to say "no,not now", to him as they take too long or are too messy or he may need help that I can't give while I have the younger children here!

He really enjoys cooking, pick something that he could b creative with.maybe go to the shop to get those extra ingredients first. Make a stir fry or a cake,a fruit smoothie,a trifle?even piping icing or chocolate on digestive biscuits. Making bread?He could make up his own recipe...fruit,ice cream,choc chip cookies???

Play monopoly with him...he will love the competition
Teach him to play cards,this is something busy parents don't really get time to do,but once he,s learnt,he would then be able to play on family holidays or with grandparents?

Make paper mache(just flour,water and newspaper)cover a balloon with it and make a mask. This can b done stage by stage over 3 days.

Have any of yr friends got a dog? Ask if u can borrow him/her. Take it out on a walk.

Paint by numbers.some are quite challenging and could be done over the 3 days.
What about helping him to do his family tree on line. You could speak to his parents for help with this.

Take him on a train trip. Nowhere too far but u could take a pack lunch,visit a museum,park,place of local interest that you could decide on before your trip.

Look on groupon for cheap deals for cinema or ten pin bowling.find out about early bird sessions.

Have u heard of nano lego? We love it. You could prob find it v cheap on eBay. It's like tiny lego tiles. Very addictive little kits. Also have you heard of the 3d model building kits,we have one of London bridge,houses of parliament.

Do you have a laminator? How about asking him if he could help you make some resources for the younger children. My son printed of sheets of money then laminated them. The younger children really enjoy playing shops and love having their own laminated money to buy each other's goods! Make yr own unique picture bingo.

What about the two of you making a water play activity in yr garden for yr younger children. You just need old piece of drain pipe that u can cut using a small hand saw,string,marg tubs etc.that would b a good design challenge for him?

If all else fails,u could see if u could get together with another minder! Why don't u email him and actually ask him what he'd really like to do? He might just suggest a movie or going swimming,which would take up most of the morning!

Have u got an old picture you don't use? Get him to repaint the frame and then get a selection of photos,overlap them all to make a collage. He could perhaps print some off at home to bring with him?
Hope this helps!

Amazing ideas here!!

JCrakers
13-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Wow, thanks all I love this forum !!

Poppy, thanks for taking so much time to write that post....are you available to come round here next week? All that sounds amazing lol
Clareelizabeth...loving the idea about getting him round a friends house...lol

I'll take everyone ideas onboard. I'm wanting to keep it cheap because Mum is already paying £35 for the day so probably doesn't want to give me anymore money. On the other end of things, I don't want to be spending too much of the £35 otherwise it will be pointless saying yes to having him as I'll be doing it for peanuts.

I did ask him but he said Bowling, indoor play area etc...things that will cost a bit after getting in, paying for me too, drinks etc.
We've always played Monopoly in the past...that's always a good idea

I'm sure i'll be fine. I have a 16yr old boy myself so been through all the lego etc but its more of a relaxed things with your own children isn't it. I always stress that I have to be doing something constantly with the children where as with my own children, I could put my feet up, put Jeremy Kyle on for half an hour with a cuppa.

Thanks again everyone

Lal
13-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Could you do a home cinema afternoon- popcorn, home made pizza and a film?

Maza
13-08-2015, 09:01 AM
As Lal suggests I would definitely do a home movie. Kids also need downtime in their holidays ad don't have to be doing, doing, doing. I always steer clear of outings that cost a lot of money too. x