PDA

View Full Version : Kids taking things home

mumofone
12-08-2015, 07:17 AM
At the end of the day my mindees often leave with paintings or creations they've made/things they've decorated etc or bits they've picked up on walks, I feel for the parents because they probably think oh god not more cr@p! It's ok to do this though isn't it or does it drive parents potty?!

Mouse
12-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Ask the parents - they're the only ones who can tell you how they feel about it.

I have several parents who treasure absolutely everything their child takes home. They have boxes to put art work in and keep every picture or piece of craft etc.
Then I have others who roll their eyes at the sight of yet another picture or model. For children with parents like that I try to display the pictures here for a little while, or put them in a folder, only sending home certain things. I don't do it to help the parents, I do it for the benefit of the child. There's nothing more disheartening for them than handing over a picture only for parents to grumble about having "more rubbish" to take home. I would rather put it on my fridge for a couple of days or let the child put it in their folder here so they know it has been acknowledged and treasured.

Simona
12-08-2015, 08:23 AM
At the end of the day my mindees often leave with paintings or creations they've made/things they've decorated etc or bits they've picked up on walks, I feel for the parents because they probably think oh god not more cr@p! It's ok to do this though isn't it or does it drive parents potty?!

I think like Mouse a lot of us do things for the children not the parents
It is after all the child's own work so why not ask them what they want to do with it....put it on your wall, take it home or else.
I know parents who actually frame their children's work...I have seen it on their walls years and years after it was created.

You have a small child of your own so when she/he is older the same situation will apply...what would you like to happen to your child's creative work? if given it how would you feel...happy or roll your eyes and think it is rubbish?.....if not sure you can always put it in the child's LJ or their achievements' folder.

greenfaerie
12-08-2015, 08:59 PM
I've saved everything that my daughter has made, and I look at them still and wonder at how her skill and improved and what she draws. It's up to the parents what they want to do with them, if they bin them then that's their choice. (Though hopefully not right away and not in front of the child!) :S

I think Mouse's suggestion was a nice one, that if you know a parent will just throw it away, display it in your own house for a couple of days. :)

I do however sympathise with parents that I see walking home from school, when a child has made a HUGE junk model or they've just stuck a toilet roll to a weetabix box and the roll keeps falling off. :)