PDA

View Full Version : Salt dough

mumofone
09-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Can anyone tell me what this is, best way to make it, any good recommendations of what to make with it etc? :-)

Simona
09-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Can anyone tell me what this is, best way to make it, any good recommendations of what to make with it etc? :-)

There are various ways to make salt dough and it is something you have to practise for yourself to find the one that suits you best...also good to get the children to make it.
If you google salt dough there are various recipes you can try.

bunyip
09-08-2015, 11:21 AM
I find the easiest way is if I start out trying to make a pizza base I invariably end up with salt dough. :p I also failed the audition for Great British Cake Off with my soggy bottom. :p

Seriously, plenty of recipes online or you can probably buy an overpriced book of activities from the pacey shop if you're tired of having any money. :rolleyes:

Don't forget it contains gluten and may need a risk assessment for allergy sufferers. :thumbsup:

mumofone
10-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys as I understand it you bake it at the end so you end up with your creation? Unlike playdough where you can just re use it again. Is that right?

bunyip
10-08-2015, 07:28 AM
IIRC you let it air-dry for a bit before baking.

Do a Google search for "baked salt dough" and you'll find lots of ideas and recipes on sites like Wikihow, Imagination Tree and Mommypotamus (the grinning idiot of an oh-so-perfect All-American mom: you just know she votes Republican and roots for the Pats, but she takes good photos and her children always behave - never mind the elf on the shelf, they've probably been told they'll burn in Hell if they're bad, cos Jesus is watching. :p )

mumofone
10-08-2015, 07:36 AM
IIRC you let it air-dry for a bit before baking. Do a Google search for "baked salt dough" and you'll find lots of ideas and recipes on sites like Wikihow, Imagination Tree and Mommypotamus (the grinning idiot of an oh-so-perfect All-American mom: you just know she votes Republican and roots for the Pats, but she takes good photos and her children always behave - never mind the elf on the shelf, they've probably been told they'll burn in Hell if they're bad, cos Jesus is watching. :p )

Lol!!!!! :-)

Simona
10-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys as I understand it you bake it at the end so you end up with your creation? Unlike playdough where you can just re use it again. Is that right?

You can cook dough in the oven or not...depends on which recipe you prefer to use.
I cooked mine for years until I was given a recipe and never went near the oven again.
Both can be re used over and over again...try each one and see which you ...or the children prefer.

bunyip
10-08-2015, 08:46 AM
You can cook dough in the oven or not...depends on which recipe you prefer to use.
I cooked mine for years until I was given a recipe and never went near the oven again.
Both can be re used over and over again...try each one and see which you ...or the children prefer.

Wow.......................must be rock hard by now. !!!!! (I thought 30 minutes would suffice.) :D

greenfaerie
12-08-2015, 09:15 PM
I just searched "No bake salt dough" on Pinterest and came up with a pretty good recipe that uses the microwave to dry it, I might try that one at some point. My brain just drifted into making an Autumn tree with kids salt dough leaf ornaments. I blame Pinterest.

IIRC you let it air-dry for a bit before baking.

Do a Google search for "baked salt dough" and you'll find lots of ideas and recipes on sites like Wikihow, Imagination Tree and Mommypotamus (the grinning idiot of an oh-so-perfect All-American mom: you just know she votes Republican and roots for the Pats, but she takes good photos and her children always behave - never mind the elf on the shelf, they've probably been told they'll burn in Hell if they're bad, cos Jesus is watching. :p )

Well there was no way I wasn't going to google that blog. Ooh edible crayons! I do feel like American Mom bloggers must give up sleep to be so perfect. :) (Side note: I could have lived a happy life without ever hearing the term "How to render your own tallow" O_O)

mumofone
18-08-2015, 07:33 AM
I just searched "No bake salt dough" on Pinterest and came up with a pretty good recipe that uses the microwave to dry it, I might try that one at some point. My brain just drifted into making an Autumn tree with kids salt dough leaf ornaments. I blame Pinterest. Well there was no way I wasn't going to google that blog. Ooh edible crayons! I do feel like American Mom bloggers must give up sleep to be so perfect. :) (Side note: I could have lived a happy life without ever hearing the term "How to render your own tallow" O_O)

I'm not on pininterest, are you able to link to the recipe greenfaerie? :-)

greenfaerie
18-08-2015, 05:55 PM
It's a blog called rainydaymum and "the-quickest-ever-salt-dough-recipe" is the recipe I found. Seems worth trying if it decreases the drying time. :) (And never ever go on Pinterest, it eats lives and I suspect it enjoys it. I've got 3700 pins and counting!) :D

mumofone
18-08-2015, 07:23 PM
It's a blog called rainydaymum and "the-quickest-ever-salt-dough-recipe" is the recipe I found. Seems worth trying if it decreases the drying time. :) (And never ever go on Pinterest, it eats lives and I suspect it enjoys it. I've got 3700 pins and counting!) :D

Haha lol!! :-) and thx, I've found it now, I'm gonna give it a go :-) x

mumofone
19-08-2015, 10:43 AM

Just wanted to add that we've now done this and it works great :-) x

greenfaerie
19-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I'll look forward to making some autumn leaves with that recipe then. :)

smurfette
19-08-2015, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE="greenfaerie;1405989"]I just searched "No bake salt dough" on Pinterest and came up with a pretty good recipe that uses the microwave to dry it, I might try that one at some point. My brain just drifted into making an Autumn tree with kids salt dough leaf ornaments. I blame Pinterest. Well there was no way I wasn't going to google that blog. Ooh edible crayons! I do feel like American Mom bloggers must give up sleep to be so perfect. :) (Side note: I could have lived a happy life without ever hearing the term "How to render your own tallow" O_O)[/QUOT

Ewww I just had to google that didn't I?! 😝 ex vegetarian here still a bit sensitive !!

Little Dots
20-08-2015, 05:50 AM
You can make some with cornflour that turns out white (if you don't over bake it) making it easier to paint. I made Easter eggs for our local playgroup.
Green faerie do you mind me asking if you can put a link to your pinterest page please? I'm obsessed with it, it is super dangerous but love looking what other childminders pin. Although I'm currently looking at day headboards with rubber mats! TIA x

mumofone
20-08-2015, 06:51 AM
You can make some with cornflour that turns out white (if you don't over bake it) making it easier to paint. I made Easter eggs for our local playgroup. Green faerie do you mind me asking if you can put a link to your pinterest page please? I'm obsessed with it, it is super dangerous but love looking what other childminders pin. Although I'm currently looking at day headboards with rubber mats! TIA x

Talking of corn flour I can never find this in the supermarket, I'm looking with regular flour? Where is it normally?

FussyElmo
20-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Talking of corn flour I can never find this in the supermarket, I'm looking with regular flour? Where is it normally?

I think its usually with the gravy but now Im thinking about it I don't really know :laughing::thumbsup:

Simona
20-08-2015, 08:28 AM

It depends on supermarkets...they also have the habit of moving things around ...just to confuse us!
Next time you go ask an assistant...I am sure they will guide you to the proper aisle.

greenfaerie
28-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Green faerie do you mind me asking if you can put a link to your pinterest page please? I'm obsessed with it, it is super dangerous but love looking what other childminders pin. Although I'm currently looking at day headboards with rubber mats! TIA x

My Pinterest page is www.pinterest.com/greenfaeriedust/ There are some great craft, messy play and baking ideas on there. :)