PDA

View Full Version : What is a Childminder - to show parents we are more than a substitute mother

vals
07-08-2015, 03:52 PM
A parent was chatting to me and I mentioned Ofsted as they are coming soon, and we talked about when they inspect nurseries etc and she said but you aren't a nursery, you are a substitute mother. Well I took it as compliment to a point, but also felt very disappointed that she didn't appreciate the work I do that puts me in a par with a nursery.

In the last few years i feel I have really upped my game, become more confident and able,done more training, dramatically improved the learning journals etc,and yet parents still don't seem to get it and still see me as stop gap until nursery have spaces.

I have had plenty of children stay with me to school age and never go to nursery, so no idea why the trend is changing.

I wish there was something I could give to parents that explains us really well, that shows how we are the ideal choice and how children don't 'have' to go to nursery,they can do equally well and be ready for school with a childminder.

sarah707
07-08-2015, 05:20 PM
I wrote this a while ago - same title!!

https://www.childcare.co.uk/information/what-is-a-childminder

:D

Simona
08-08-2015, 08:58 AM
A parent was chatting to me and I mentioned Ofsted as they are coming soon, and we talked about when they inspect nurseries etc and she said but you aren't a nursery, you are a substitute mother. Well I took it as compliment to a point, but also felt very disappointed that she didn't appreciate the work I do that puts me in a par with a nursery.

In the last few years i feel I have really upped my game, become more confident and able,done more training, dramatically improved the learning journals etc,and yet parents still don't seem to get it and still see me as stop gap until nursery have spaces.

I have had plenty of children stay with me to school age and never go to nursery, so no idea why the trend is changing.

I wish there was something I could give to parents that explains us really well, that shows how we are the ideal choice and how children don't 'have' to go to nursery,they can do equally well and be ready for school with a childminder.

Ohh...how I agree with many of your points!!

Why do parents treat cms as 'stop gap'?
I would say the media has a lot to do with that ...all they talk about is nurseries and Ofsted can take a fair share of that blame too for the consistent negative remarks made by HMCI on cms!

I think that parents will get what you really are as a Cm once they start dealing with you and not only see your care but also the other side: running a small business, your home setting and what develops within it.

I remember the days when parents chose to keep their children with a CM until school time...not really possible now as the rest of the parents will start putting pressure as the child is missing out unless he/she is at school at 4!...many parents are very influenced by their friends....or groups they attend....or they listen to Ofsted telling them schools are best!

One huge difference is 'Attachment' and the potential relationship that develops between cm and children, the length of time children could remain in the care of a cm ....under one roof and with such long continuity in care
Cms are the proverbial 'Key Person'...it is a solid relationship unlike nurseries where the role had to be introduced and is often shared....there is no comparison....and I can say I speak from experience as I did run a preschool before being a cm...but children then stayed with us from 2 until 5

some parents get this side of the cm's unique position and role ...others can be a bit jealous as they feel and may even say: my child may end up loving you more' (it has happened)...but overall they seem to have to do with what other parents do....keeping up with the Joneses maybe?

There are the exceptions of course! as a parent I would see nursery as a stop gap but never a cm.

How many nurseries have children stay with them for over 8 or 10 years from baby to secondary school?
How many children knock on nurseries' door to see their teacher?
Over the last few weeks I have seen many children, now well in their teens and above, knock on my door and tell me about their achievements and recalling good memories....
You can't beat that.

Evie125
08-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I will never forget the conversation I had with a little girl about childminders and mums a few years ago, it went something like this.............. 5 year old " I know the difference between a childminder and a mum now". Me ( not knowing what to expect!) "what is it?" 5 year old "mums wear flip flops!"

catswhiskers
09-08-2015, 10:46 PM
I so agree with you vals!

I do feel a bit used by some parents over the past few years but try to accommodate them as it's all helping their child settle into a new environment etc. with no feedback from the other setting.

I've only got one more week left this week with the two 2 year olds I look after and then I've got 2 weeks off! Can't wait. I've had my childminder co-ordinator suddenly wanting to talk to me and meet with me a few weeks ago and I have, but I feel ok and have told her I don't want to spend my time with more paperwork, especially as both mindees are leaving me in September!

One is going to a new 2 year old school provision that has just opened in the area and one is going to a local nursery for two days (staying with me 2 days).

Oh well, will it be down to me to make contact with the local nursery?

TinyTinker
10-08-2015, 08:37 AM
I read a comment on a netmums post the other day stating -if you want your child minded - you send them to grandma or a childminder if you want them educated you send them to nursery! made my blood boil that did!:angry: