PDA

View Full Version : Messy play aprons/tabard

mumofone
06-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Any recommendations please? Thanks :-)

FloraDora
06-08-2015, 09:24 PM
I started with these from Ikea - a bit stiff but still fine and I wash them in the machine twice a week - very plasticky but work fine.

MÅLA Apron with long sleeves - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90210490/)

I have shortened in the arms some old school shirts of my sons - we use these for big painting projects as they cover down to ankles.

I then ordered some tabards from Amazon as my young LO hates putting arms in things - it worked - I could slip it over head without any fuss. So I use these for gluing now.

I also ordered blue long sleeve aprons from Amazon for water play - brilliant- stops most of the soaking but on a warm day we don't use them. They are a bit more expensive but are still in perfect condition after 18 months of weekly washes.

Children's long sleeve painting apron with ribbed cuffs (2-3 years, Blue): Amazon.co.uk: Clothing (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J3BQV0U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage)

I have a variety of aprons for cooking -cotton and plastic - the plastic ones are hungry caterpillar, gruffalo, bad tempered lady bird - book themed - we use these for role play too.

But today I made some outdoor cooking aprons from brown t towels I found in TKMax - making an apron from a t towel was the first thing I had to make in my high school sewing class - back in 1967 ! I have made loads since. I intend to roughly embroider a pine cone, leaf, etc... On these to make them more interesting. Last year we just wore our puddle suits for outdoor kitchen play but they had to be washed quite regularly. One LO found a cooking apron this summer and kept putting it on when making mud soup in the outdoor kitchen - so I thought ones specially for it might be good. I've waterproofed lined it with an old shower curtain.

I do like aprons - shows you wear the appropriate protection for the job in hand I think, though I have a friend who prefers the spontaneous, just go for it, so you don't need to stop to put an apron on ...then she changes children after.

I'm a big apron wearer so the children follow me.

mama2three
07-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Im not really an apron fan..( I used to try really hard when I first started but its just not 'me' and i was never organised or insistent enough for the habit to stick) .I have got some cheap old tshirts they slip on for really messy stuff ( the stuff where clothes wont easily wash). In the cooler weather we do wear either puddle suits or plastic aprons for water play but we dont bother when its warm . Parents are aware when they choose me that we are usually covered in mud from the forest or similar and not to send them in clothes they dont want ruined - but most things come out fine in the washer!