PDA

View Full Version : Nanny trial

Hello you
06-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Hello fabulous Childcare's professional...
I am here today, to ask your advices about a trial I have to do at the end of the month.
I know, you are not Nannies, but, as you are all enough experience in Childcare, I do
believe you can answer my question and help me in any way.
What should I do when mother is around, what kind of questions should I ask to her,
how should I behave towards the child?
The child is 13 months, the parents have learnt the wrong sleeping habits, apparently
she cries when they put her in the bed, and she keeps calling them for longtime until
she falls asleep.
They want a help for sort of sleep training, but, to be honest I have never had to deal
with this kind of situation, so I do not have any clue about it.
Please, I do need this job so much!!!
Thanks for your help :)

FloraDora
06-08-2015, 04:00 PM
I am here today, to ask your advices about a trial I have to do at the end of the month.
I know, you are not Nannies, but, as you are all enough experience in Childcare, I do
What should I do when mother is around, what kind of questions should I ask to her,
The child is 13 months, the parents have learnt the wrong sleeping habits, apparently
she cries when they put her in the bed, and she keeps calling them for longtime until
she falls asleep.
They want a help for sort of sleep training, but, to be honest I have never had to deal

Sorry to be unhelpful but if you do not have the experience required in settling a young baby to sleep then it would not be fair on the family or baby to have you as their main childcare. My advice would be to get some more experience and then apply for nanny jobs or find a family with children or issues that you are familiar with.
This family does not sound like the best match for you.

Maza
06-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any nannying experience? If you do, then think back to those jobs and reflect on what were the most important things you needed to know. Do you already have some ideas on the type of questions you should be asking?

To be honest, lots of us could give you a list as long as our arms on the questions you should ask, but unless the questions are coming from your heart and your 'professional head' then the parents would be able to spot that.

I'm more than happy to help anybody but I do like them to come up with some of their own ideas first.

How do you think you should behave towards the child?

What did they say is wrong with their bedtime routine/babies sleeping habits? Lots of babies cry out when they are put in bed.

Hello you
06-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Yes I have over 8 years of Childcare experiences, but, I have never had this kind of issues to deal with...

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any nannying experience? If you do, then think back to those jobs and reflect on what were the most important things you needed to know. Do you already have some ideas on the type of questions you should be asking?

To be honest, lots of us could give you a list as long as our arms on the questions you should ask, but unless the questions are coming from your heart and your 'professional head' then the parents would be able to spot that.

I'm more than happy to help anybody but I do like them to come up with some of their own ideas first.

How do you think you should behave towards the child?

What did they say is wrong with their bedtime routine/babies sleeping habits? Lots of babies cry out when they are put in bed.

Simona
08-08-2015, 09:28 AM
she falls asleep.

It sounds as if the parents 'recognise' they have a problem with the child's sleep routine and they want help
You could ask them what is it they want to achieve...is this causing them and the baby stress? have they approached their Health Visitor for support? what do they do when the child calls out? do they run to her or do they have a strategy to address that?

Are you working in their home or is the baby coming to you? sorry this bit is unclear when you say you don't know how to behave? just be yourself and ask any questions you want to try and establish a partnership with them.

many children, when they go into a new setting or have new carer, have to 'adjust ' to a new routine even though you will try to stay as close as you can to the one they have at home but this issue is different and will cause you stress if not sorted.

I recall 2 examples of sleep problems with children which could have been sorted had the parents told me at the start
In one the baby did not like the cot at all...no matter what I did she screamed only to be told much later on by mum she either rocked the baby to sleep in her arms every time...or put her in the pram and went for a walk until she feel asleep

The second example was a very anxious mum insisting her child sleep as much as possible...it later transpired the child had always had problems sleeping.
Find out as much as you can and try your best...as you have experience suggest a strategy you can both share to address the sleeping issue.
Good luck!

Hello you
13-08-2015, 07:47 AM
Thank you soooooo much for your time spent in sending me adorable encouragements words.
I am going to work in their home, it is their first child, so they have lots of expectations towards
the child and also towards me, as a Nanny. Even if I do have experiences in childcare, I have to
say that families sometimes scary me, because they are often immature and they do not help
at all, so this is the reason I have come here and ask your point of view about small bad habits
established by the parents and is difficult to deal with mothers

It sounds as if the parents 'recognise' they have a problem with the child's sleep routine and they want help
You could ask them what is it they want to achieve...is this causing them and the baby stress? have they approached their Health Visitor for support? what do they do when the child calls out? do they run to her or do they have a strategy to address that?

Are you working in their home or is the baby coming to you? sorry this bit is unclear when you say you don't know how to behave? just be yourself and ask any questions you want to try and establish a partnership with them.

many children, when they go into a new setting or have new carer, have to 'adjust ' to a new routine even though you will try to stay as close as you can to the one they have at home but this issue is different and will cause you stress if not sorted.

I recall 2 examples of sleep problems with children which could have been sorted had the parents told me at the start
In one the baby did not like the cot at all...no matter what I did she screamed only to be told much later on by mum she either rocked the baby to sleep in her arms every time...or put her in the pram and went for a walk until she feel asleep

The second example was a very anxious mum insisting her child sleep as much as possible...it later transpired the child had always had problems sleeping.
Find out as much as you can and try your best...as you have experience suggest a strategy you can both share to address the sleeping issue.
Good luck!

Simona
13-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Thank you soooooo much for your time spent in sending me adorable encouragements words.
I am going to work in their home, it is their first child, so they have lots of expectations towards
the child and also towards me, as a Nanny. Even if I do have experiences in childcare, I have to
say that families sometimes scary me, because they are often immature and they do not help
at all, so this is the reason I have come here and ask your point of view about small bad habits
established by the parents and is difficult to deal with mothers

Good to hear you have made a decision and I am sure it will work out for all concerned in the end.

As you mention this is their first child so you may need to allow a little bit of 'immaturity'....although maybe the word here is 'inexperience' as these are first time parents and have to learn all about how to deal with their baby ...yes sometimes 'bad habits' may result but I am sure they are willing to learn how to deal with everyday issues.

Good luck!

Hello you
13-08-2015, 01:41 PM
You are adorable plenty of experiences and wisdom ;)

Good to hear you have made a decision and I am sure it will work out for all concerned in the end.

As you mention this is their first child so you may need to allow a little bit of 'immaturity'....although maybe the word here is 'inexperience' as these are first time parents and have to learn all about how to deal with their baby ...yes sometimes 'bad habits' may result but I am sure they are willing to learn how to deal with everyday issues.

Good luck!