PDA

View Full Version : Advertising fees

mumofone
06-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Just wondered why some CMs don't advertise their fees and just put "please contact me to discuss" instead? I advertise mine because I figure then I won't get unwanted enquiries if it's too much for some. Do you advertise your fees and if not why not?

FussyElmo
06-08-2015, 10:38 AM
No I don't advertise my fees because every family is different.

Some might be siblings.
Some might only want before/after school.
Some might want to only have a odd hour here and there so I cater my prices to meet different families :thumbsup:

mama2three
06-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I dont , 2 reasons.

The first is that I tell parents that just as the service they require is individual to them , my service is 'bespoke' and so my rates reflect this.

The other reason , (and the 'main' one) - my rate looks quite expensive at first glance as in general everything is included. I want the opportunity to meet parents or at least speak to them , sell myself a little , explain my fees - rather than have them dismiss me having just seen a figure.

Mouse
06-08-2015, 11:37 AM
I don't have a set, fixed rate, so it's impossible to quote a figure in my advertising.

I explain to families that I will meet with them, find out their exact needs and set the fee accordingly.

I've seen cms quote an hourly rate then had parents who only need 3 hours care, only expect to pay for 3 hours care. They're quite put out when they find out the cm has a minimum number of hours, or charges more for unsociable hours.
Then if cms quote a daily rate, how long is a day?

If parents do ask for a fee before meeting me (which is perfectly understandable) I give them a rough figure based on the initial info they give me, but explain that actual fee is based on their exact needs.

bunyip
06-08-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty much the same as previous posts. My fee isn't fixed. I have a baseline, but calculate individual arrangements from that point.

I think those listings/websites which show fees are problematic, as it's rarely a matter of comparing like with like. One CM will have an all-inclusive fee, another will follow the child around all day with a waitress's notepad, slapping on an extra 50p each time they pick up a banana. Some will/won't charge for trips, holidays, closures, toddler groups, etc.

Ir creates a horrible situation where parents search by price as the first consideration............. and personally I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't start a search for quality by looking for the cheapest they can get away with. Conversely it also creates the situation of CMs trying to present a 'low' fee, then adding lots of 'extras', thus creating the impression that feeding a hungry child at lunchtime constitutes some kind of 'luxury optional extra'.

Parents start looking at the low hourly rates, thereby ignoring all the ones that look more expensive but are probably cheaper in practice because they are inclusive and don't carry lots of 'extras'. They then get all difficult once they've started the placement and spend their time moaning about at the extra charges they've signed up for and agreed to.

AliceK
06-08-2015, 09:02 PM
I charge different hourly rates for part-time, full-time and TTO so I advertise my range eg £4.00 - £4.70 per hr. Then once I know what a family wants I can confirm to them which rate is applicable.

xx

shortstuff
07-08-2015, 10:01 AM
I dont advertise mine so that i dont have to update adverts if i change my fees. Also because i tailor make them for each family too.

Simona
09-08-2015, 09:40 AM
I don't advertise fees but my local FIS does put a figure for all cms...very unhelpful actually because it has no reflection on what cms charge anyway.

Often parents email with a huge list of questions including 'how much do you charge'
my reply is usually that I discuss these face to face when the family visits my setting...if the enquiry is genuine usually they follow it up with an appointment.

bunyip
09-08-2015, 09:58 AM
I don't advertise fees but my local FIS does put a figure for all cms...very unhelpful actually because it has no reflection on what cms charge anyway.

Often parents email with a huge list of questions including 'how much do you charge'
my reply is usually that I discuss these face to face when the family visits my setting...if the enquiry is genuine usually they follow it up with an appointment.

:laughing: Tell me about it. The English language needs a word for parents who ask a question that was already answered in your ad/profile. Is there one in Italian?

The first line of my profile states our location, and at least 1/3 of respondents ask, "Hi! Where are you based?" Always makes me wonder, "do I want this client?"

(Sometimes makes me wonder if people should be required to pass some kind of stoopidity test before being allowed to breed.) :p

Simona
09-08-2015, 10:50 AM
:laughing: Tell me about it. The English language needs a word for parents who ask a question that was already answered in your ad/profile. Is there one in Italian?

The first line of my profile states our location, and at least 1/3 of respondents ask, "Hi! Where are you based?" Always makes me wonder, "do I want this client?"

(Sometimes makes me wonder if people should be required to pass some kind of stoopidity test before being allowed to breed.) :p

Well...I have had several Italian families in my care and I must say most understood what was in my profile written in impeccable English! :rolleyes:

how about stating clearly which days I was open and being asked for care on the 2 days I was not operating as a cm?....that happened in 90% of enquiries.

Having clearly stated which school I collected from... 99% of parents asked me if I collected from a school the opposite end on the borough. :panic:
Ce la vie!

Simona
09-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Just to highlight this point here is another example.

I have another business 'soft furnishings'...I have done this longer than having been in childcare
It does or I do what it says on the tin...you would think?

The first question I am asked is 'so you make curtains'? ...ermm yes I do!
Do you recover sofas?.... aarrgghh! No because that is upholstery!

smurfette
10-08-2015, 03:41 PM
I have had sssooo many enquiries lately asking for days I don't have space (have specified on advert) or for two spaces or for after school care which I don't do. Drives me nutty.. Read the xxxx ad!!