PDA

View Full Version : Inspections - Photographic evidence

mumofone
05-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Did anyone use photographic evidence at their inspections (aside from observation photos). Did it help?

loocyloo
05-08-2015, 04:41 PM
how do you mean 'photographic evidence' ?

I don't ANYTHING just for Ofsted/inspection, but I do compile and print a photo album for each year showing things we have done, and sometimes put a photo display on my digital photoframe - for the childrens benefit - they LOVE watching for themselves, their friends and places we have been/things we have done. it promotes some fantastic conversations and language development. but it generally only goes on, IF the children ask for it. I also have some photos on the notice board.

at my last inspection ( admittedly 6 yrs & 10 months ago :eeeek:) I had my photo books available, but I can't say if the inspector looked at them, the same as I have no idea if she saw the photos on the notice board. I didn't have the digital photo frame then.

an inspector is going to want to see what you do and how you do it, not what you have done in the past. sadly, an inspection in pretty much graded on what they see and hear that day ( and read in your SEF ( if you do one )

alex__17
05-08-2015, 04:42 PM
I did a photo album of trips and outdoor activities I did with the kids as my garden was out of action at the time of the inspection due to building works - she was very impressed with the range of trips and outdoors things we did (we're outside most of the time!) and it got mentioned in my report so I'm glad I put it together, kids also love looking through it every now and then and remembering trips

FloraDora
05-08-2015, 05:42 PM
I have several slideshows that I set up - one that shows a variety of the activities we do here - children like this, we sometimes play it to the children's chosen music at snack time - plus prospective parents and I had it on the first part of my inspection - it scrolls around the Tv.
Inspector asked about my teaching and preparation of phonics - I popped on the slideshow that I used in early phonics when I was delivering some training - no Childrens faces here but lots of evidence of listening to ️️sounds in the environment, singing, rhyming activities, early reading activities etc....I talked her throught the sorts of experiences I provide and in particular showed her a LO that was there on the day and how she had reached where she was - it gave me something to remind myself plus evidence - lasted about 3minutes.
She joined us outdoors - it was January, she was impressed with what she saw given the weather that day....but to show I always go outdoors and the type of activities and learning that takes place throughout the year - when we came in I swapped the slide show to outdoor focus for a short while....my youngest LO talked her through the slides which she loved - because it's something we do a lot , she could answer quite in depth questionning about what she was learning, what she liked best and why etc...
Because we hadn't talked about it a lot, when we ate our lunch I left her with the photos parents have provided to add to observations from home, parents working with children and pictures of grandparents sharing a book I had sent home - parent had written across picture my obj for the book and " Done!" with the aid of Granpa" ...she commented in my feedback that it was good evidence of working together with parents and how useful the scrolling pictures were as she was able to glance at them.
My hobby is photography so I do experiment digitally a lot with the photos I take......during snack that day ....we watched our home made film made of slides of our favourite book The ladybird who heard....using a mix of dressing up and furry and plastic animals....outside and in ....and my DH playing the role of the farmer with his bald head and pretend beard. The children joined in the noises as the soundtrack of them and I telling the story and we had a moment of a chorus of " be careful not to wake the dog!" And then lots of laughter as that what happened when we recorded the soundtrack..... Inspector laughed too....
So ...just an example of how I showed in my inspection evidence of things she didn't see that day...it was only in short slots ...but enough to help.
Not done specifically for inspector as it's something that we always do......but it is useful to show.

vals
06-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Sooo glad i read this thread, we have lots of photos and the children love looking at them, but have been minding for 20 years so have quite a collection. Even taking down the older ones, the children that have been here 7 years still like to see their photos from the start. I have never thought of using a digital photo frame, will save lots of wall space, uses technology ,and is simple to use. So thanks to whoever suggested it.
I do have photo scrapbooks for each child too,and one that was memories, but has changed to 'showing Ofsted what we have done ' lol as I understand they say if they dont see you do something on the day how do they know you do it, and we wont remember to telll them everything.so photos are a simple way to demonstrate.