PDA

View Full Version : Childminders lose children!

hectors house
04-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Saw this post on the Independent Facebook page about a child safety tag My Buddy Tag Child Safety and Locating Device in Green Kiddicare.com (http://www.kiddicare.com/p/My_Buddy_Tag_Child_Safety_and_Locating_Device_in_G reen.htm?affiliate=KCmailout150804SAFETY&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=150204KiddicareCombinedList&utm_campaign=Home+Safety+150804)

This bullet point has upset lots of us, what do you think
"Email with ‘last seen’ location feature emails time and map locations when your child was last seen by the BuddyTag App. Perfect for parents with a childminder taking the kids out!"

I have sent them the following e-mail "Your advertisement for My Buddy Tag has been brought to my attention (and that of 70,000 childminders on our facebook page) and I strongly resent the implications within the bullet point below that seems to strongly imply that childminders can not be trusted to take children out on trips. I think that if you do your research you will find that children left with Ofsted registered childminders are far safer that children left at Nursery and probably safer than when out on trips with their parents!!!

Please delete / amend this wording as we (Independent Childminders) are extremely offended by your allegations & assumptions."

So if anyone would like to e-mail them also to complain about their choice of wording, the e-mail address is hello@kiddicare.com - I know that they aren't going to get e-mails from 70,000 childminders but half of that should get them thinking about wording adverts better!
:D

tess1981
04-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Email sent with my complaint
I'm rather annoyed we are being singled out

k1rstie
04-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Hi hectors House. Well spotted!!! What a thing to suggest? On the U.S. Website of the product, it swaps the word childminder for Nanny.

Simona
04-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Saw this post on the Independent Facebook page about a child safety tag My Buddy Tag Child Safety and Locating Device in Green Kiddicare.com (http://www.kiddicare.com/p/My_Buddy_Tag_Child_Safety_and_Locating_Device_in_G reen.htm?affiliate=KCmailout150804SAFETY&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=150204KiddicareCombinedList&utm_campaign=Home+Safety+150804)

This bullet point has upset lots of us, what do you think
"Email with ‘last seen’ location feature emails time and map locations when your child was last seen by the BuddyTag App. Perfect for parents with a childminder taking the kids out!"

I have sent them the following e-mail "Your advertisement for My Buddy Tag has been brought to my attention (and that of 70,000 childminders on our facebook page) and I strongly resent the implications within the bullet point below that seems to strongly imply that childminders can not be trusted to take children out on trips. I think that if you do your research you will find that children left with Ofsted registered childminders are far safer that children left at Nursery and probably safer than when out on trips with their parents!!!

Please delete / amend this wording as we (Independent Childminders) are extremely offended by your allegations & assumptions."

So if anyone would like to e-mail them also to complain about their choice of wording, the e-mail address is hello@kiddicare.com - I know that they aren't going to get e-mails from 70,000 childminders but half of that should get them thinking about wording adverts better!

....as do nurseries. We have read many articles of toddlers wandering off from nursery premises despite some of them being like Fort Knox...or not maybe!
This item is only going to fuel anxiety in some already anxious parents willing to pay a lot of money...how long is that tag going to be safe on a child's wrist?
The terminology is certainly wrong and points to CMs...maybe leaving a comment on their review section would help a lot.
If anything they would need to point to any setting that takes children out...and nannies too!

There was a similar incident with Tesco last week when they singled out CMs..they ended up apologising to CMs.

shortstuff
04-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Email sent. That is awful. The exclamation mark at the end makes it even worse imo.

hectors house
04-08-2015, 01:53 PM
It's shocking that they have singled out "childminders" branding us irresponsible and not to be trusted with your children unless you spend £45 on a buddy tag to protect them. The more people who can e-mail them the better - especially as we form an important part of their customer base!

tess1981
04-08-2015, 01:54 PM
An apology email back

hectors house
04-08-2015, 02:15 PM
An apology email back

Gosh looks like they are wording each one differently as mine says "Thank you for contacting Kiddicare.

I'm sorry that you took serious offense of this, but for clarification that is not what we are trying to say. We will internally look into this."

shortstuff
04-08-2015, 02:28 PM
My reply said my issue had been dealt with? I have replied again stating that as their advert is unchanged how can my issue be solved. I'm now fuming!

tess1981
04-08-2015, 02:36 PM
I bet they are wondering why all of a sudden so many of us emailing :)

shortstuff
04-08-2015, 02:53 PM
OK. So I've now had another reply saying they are looking into rewording the ad. They also apologised for offending me but are aiming the product at nervous parents.

bunyip
04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
At least we CMs don't lose children like Kiddicare lose stores:

Jobs at risk as Kiddicare in Nottingham closes down | Nottingham Post (http://www.nottinghampost.com/Jobs-risk-Kiddicare-Nottingham-closes/story-22763163-detail/story.html)

This particular one only opened about 3 years ago. (Gonna make a boycott difficult if there's nowhere left to not buy from. :rolleyes: )

Simona
04-08-2015, 03:13 PM
OK. So I've now had another reply saying they are looking into rewording the ad. They also apologised for offending me but are aiming the product at nervous parents.

Looks like their 'internal' examination has paid off...
Nervous parents will not be reassured by this in anyway....they'll all rush on Mumsnet now in panic and demand CMs have a tag for every child!:angry:
idiotic marketing that is what it is all about...it could have worked if Kiddicare had handled it a bit more sensitively!

Mouse
04-08-2015, 03:18 PM
I have to be honest and say that comments like the Kiddicare one and the Tesco one don't bother me at all.

I don't think either of them were intentionally having a dig at childminders and I really don't believe that either comment will have done any harm to our reputation.

I wonder if other professions get quite so upset and offended when they're 'misrepresented' in the media?

Simona
04-08-2015, 03:24 PM
I have to be honest and say that comments like the Kiddicare one and the Tesco one don't bother me at all.

I don't think either of them were intentionally having a dig at childminders and I really don't believe that either comment will have done any harm to our reputation.

I wonder if other professions get quite so upset and offended when they're 'misrepresented' in the media?

I agree that neither were meant to have a dig but I think we all need to use words 'wisely' especially in marketing.
CMs are targeted a lot so the reaction is expected and possibly justified....it won't do any harm and we can cope with any nervous parents.

The Tesco incident was a bit different because it 'misquoted' someone who then went on to apologise profusely to cms as her words had been 'twisted'
I am sure it will resolve itself and Kiddicare will change their words.

bunyip
04-08-2015, 03:35 PM

I have to agree. I like the odd moan as much as the next MOG, but I'm of the generation that doesn't spend its time desperately seeking another reason to be "offended"......................constantly.

IMHO Kiddicare are just trying to flog another almost-pointless over-priced piece of brightly-coloured techno-tat to nervous mums.

Still I think they've got the marketing wrong if they think they can target nervous mums with such "reassuring" features as an alert to tell them "your child is currently under water". :eek: :eek: :eek:

Something tells me the Kiddicare marketing department didn't quite think that one through. :rolleyes:

Simona
04-08-2015, 03:51 PM
I don't think anyone is offended Bunyip...but people have a right not to be seen as singed out
We can all agree Kiddicare marketing is very poor and they can learn their lesson from this and add it to their CPD!

Mouse
04-08-2015, 03:57 PM
I agree that neither were meant to have a dig but I think we all need to use words 'wisely' especially in marketing.
CMs are targeted a lot so the reaction is expected and possibly justified....it won't do any harm and we can cope with any nervous parents.

The Tesco incident was a bit different because it 'misquoted' someone who then went on to apologise profusely to cms as her words had been 'twisted'
I am sure it will resolve itself and Kiddicare will change their words.

Are childminders targeted a lot, or do we just notice references to childminders because that's what we are?

k1rstie
04-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Still I think they've got the marketing wrong if they think they can target nervous mums with such "reassuring" features as an alert to tell them "your child is currently under water". :eek: :eek: :eek: :

When I looked it up on the makers website, it says it goes off if under a foot of water. Remember in the states many homes have their own swimming pools.

k1rstie
04-08-2015, 04:33 PM
I have just looked at kiddicare again. It looks like they have changed their wording already!!!!

Simona
04-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Are childminders targeted a lot, or do we just notice references to childminders because that's what we are?

it depends what you refer to?
yes I believe cms have been targeted, singled out and also often omitted from a lot of issues recently and maybe that has caused some to be a little sensitive.
we could mention Ofsted, DfE and a lot more ...but that would deviate from the OP

If some cms felt strongly about this particular issue then I have nothing against them voicing their concerns or against those who raised their concerns by the Tesco article....if the ad gets tweaked then it will be a good result....which I now read has already happened.
Well done to those who raised it.

hectors house
04-08-2015, 04:47 PM
I have just looked at kiddicare again. It looks like they have changed their wording already!!!!

If only we could have this effect on Ofsted or the Government when they get things so wrong! :D

Mouse
04-08-2015, 05:24 PM
it depends what you refer to?
yes I believe cms have been targeted, singled out and also often omitted from a lot of issues recently and maybe that has caused some to be a little sensitive.
we could mention Ofsted, DfE and a lot more ...but that would deviate from the OP

If some cms felt strongly about this particular issue then I have nothing against them voicing their concerns or against those who raised their concerns by the Tesco article....if the ad gets tweaked then it will be a good result....which I now read has already happened.
Well done to those who raised it.

I certainly have nothing against childminders voicing their feelings. If they have a concern they should feel free to have their say, which is exactly what they have done with a very fast result.

I am just saying that for me, I don't get offended by mention of childminders in such a way.

As for childminders being singled out, I question it mainly in relation to media, advertising, TV programmes. Not in relation to Ofsted & Dfe.

Simona
04-08-2015, 06:34 PM
I certainly have nothing against childminders voicing their feelings. If they have a concern they should feel free to have their say, which is exactly what they have done with a very fast result.

I am just saying that for me, I don't get offended by mention of childminders in such a way.

As for childminders being singled out, I question it mainly in relation to media, advertising, TV programmes. Not in relation to Ofsted & Dfe.

I did say in my reply before that it was not about being offended....I wasn't offended either but it grates when we get mentioned in the wrong context
Like with the Tesco issue this one too got sorted quickly and I am pleased by that....I sent Kiddicare a quick tweet asking for a 'tweak' to their ad.

I tend to question it on a wider scale....but that is me and that is why I mentioned Ofsted and DfE...as for the media they are the worst...are they not?

bunyip
05-08-2015, 05:58 PM

Agreed, Mouse. But don't forget: just because you aren't paranoid does not mean the worldwide anti-CM conspiracy isn't out to get us all. ;)

Now if Kiddicare had replaced the word "childminder" with the word "babysitter"................well, need I say more? :rolleyes:

Simona
06-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Ouch!...paranoid is a very heavy word to use Bunyip against those who 'objected' to the reference made by Kiddicare in the sale of that ridiculous gadget.
The fact is that Kiddicare did remove the word without a single word of apology or explanation ...rather the opposite of what Tesco has done.

Is 'paranoid' a label?...Hmmm! and is there a conspiracy anywhere we should be aware of?

bunyip
06-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Ouch!...paranoid is a very heavy word to use Bunyip against those who 'objected' to the reference made by Kiddicare in the sale of that ridiculous gadget.
The fact is that Kiddicare did remove the word without a single word of apology or explanation ...rather the opposite of what Tesco has done.

Is 'paranoid' a label?...Hmmm! and is there a conspiracy anywhere we should be aware of?

Dunno. I'll ask at my next Illuminati meeting. :thumbsup:

teacake2
06-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I have obviously missed the Tesco incident, could someone please enlighten me?
Thanks
Teacake2

tess1981
06-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I have obviously missed the Tesco incident, could someone please enlighten me?
Thanks
Teacake2

Me too :( :( :(

bunyip
06-08-2015, 08:21 PM
I don't know the details, but I gather there was an article in Tesco's magazine to which some CMs took offence.

Maybe Tesco's are a bit sore to find out that we manage to earn less than Tesco staff. :huh:

Mind you, I expect a lot of dairy farmers are offended that CMs are shopping at Tesco. :p

tess1981
07-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Does anyone have a link to the tesco article?

Mouse
07-08-2015, 08:27 AM
https://www.**************/news-and-views/news/tesco-apologises-to-pacey-childminders-for-inaccur/

I didn't think the link would work :rolleyes:

Try googling "Tesco childminder article" and you should find an apology Tesco made to the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years

There is a picture of the article that gave ideas for saving money in the holidays:

SWAP CHILDCARE

"If you have friends with children, save on costs by taking it in turns to look after each other's kids one day a week, rather than paying a childminder. As well as saving you money the kids will love hanging out together and you won't have to make the mad dash to pick them up before the childminder clocks off"

It caused uproar with several childminders vowing to never use Tesco again!

tess1981
07-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Thanks mouse

Simona
07-08-2015, 08:46 AM
The Tesco issue has been clarified and Pacey itself intervened in the issue.
Unfortunately the link would not show if posted...but I saw it on Twitter very loud and clear.

As said Tesco 'misquoted' a person for which they were told to apologise and re write the article...they did so immediately.
Pacey said Tesco apologised to Pacey CMs...in fact Tesco apologised to all cms not just pacey ones. The wording of their article was appalling and some did not like it.

This is an extract:

Tesco Magazine editor Jenny McIvor has personally apologised to PACEY childminders for an article that suggested parents could save money by swapping childcare among themselves rather than using a registered childminder.

When the article was brought to our attention, we responded to Tesco through our social media channels, saying:

"It has been brought to our attention, as the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY), that you have printed a magazine article that suggest parents could save money by swapping childcare amongst themselves instead of using a registered childminder.

"We are extremely concerned by this suggestion being in the public domain, and the implications of how this portrays qualified, professional childminders, many of whom are our members.

"Professional childminders are closely regulated through Ofsted and work hard to maintain their professional status. The vast majority of childcare professionals are now rated either ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted.

"If you would like to know more about registered childminders, to ensure the accuracy of your articles, we would be happy to talk to you to explain what is required of those working in this demanding and responsible profession."

Tesco Magazine editor, Jenny McIvor, subsequently contacted PACEY press office with a verbal apology, before issuing the following statement:

I don't know if it caused uproar but it was right Tesco clarified and made aware of the wording...just like kiddicare!

tess1981
07-08-2015, 09:36 AM
The Tesco issue has been clarified and Pacey itself intervened in the issue.
Unfortunately the link would not show if posted...but I saw it on Twitter very loud and clear.

As said Tesco 'misquoted' a person for which they were told to apologise and re write the article...they did so immediately.
Pacey said Tesco apologised to Pacey CMs...in fact Tesco apologised to all cms not just pacey ones. The wording of their article was appalling and some did not like it.

This is an extract:

Tesco Magazine editor Jenny McIvor has personally apologised to PACEY childminders for an article that suggested parents could save money by swapping childcare among themselves rather than using a registered childminder.

When the article was brought to our attention, we responded to Tesco through our social media channels, saying:

"It has been brought to our attention, as the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY), that you have printed a magazine article that suggest parents could save money by swapping childcare amongst themselves instead of using a registered childminder.

"We are extremely concerned by this suggestion being in the public domain, and the implications of how this portrays qualified, professional childminders, many of whom are our members.

"Professional childminders are closely regulated through Ofsted and work hard to maintain their professional status. The vast majority of childcare professionals are now rated either ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted.

"If you would like to know more about registered childminders, to ensure the accuracy of your articles, we would be happy to talk to you to explain what is required of those working in this demanding and responsible profession."

Tesco Magazine editor, Jenny McIvor, subsequently contacted PACEY press office with a verbal apology, before issuing the following statement:

I don't know if it caused uproar but it was right Tesco clarified and made aware of the wording...just like kiddicare!

Gosh I can't believe someone publicly saying stop using cms..

Simona
07-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Gosh I can't believe someone publicly saying stop using cms..

No she did not say that at all...that is why she was misquoted and apologised to cms for the way Tesco interpreted her suggestion on what parents could do in the summer to cover holidays care.
She also wrote a blog afterwards saying how sorry she was she seemed to have insulted cms....it was Tesco who insulted cms by their misinterpretation.

It was also not a public statement...she was obviously interviewed or contacted by Tesco and then quoted very badly.
Hopefully the issue is now been dealt with

tess1981
07-08-2015, 09:53 AM
No she did not say that at all...that is why she was misquoted and apologised to cms for the way Tesco interpreted her suggestion on what parents could do in the summer to cover holidays care.
She also wrote a blog afterwards saying how sorry she was she seemed to have insulted cms....it was Tesco who insulted cms by their misinterpretation.

It was also not a public statement...she was obviously interviewed or contacted by Tesco and then quoted very badly.
Hopefully the issue is now been dealt with

Ah it would help if I had have seen the article then lol

hectors house
07-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Just text my daughter saying that I had lost her son at Longleat today for half an hour but he turned up in the end - she just replied saying she had already had a text from her mother in law saying they had bumped into us and borrowed the grandson to play with his cousins for a while. When we left though I was holding my grandson's hand so he didn't sneak back to them again and managed to leave another mindee in the shop, luckily it was only 30 seconds or so when I got to the door I realised it wasn't her hand I was holding! :D

tess1981
07-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Just text my daughter saying that I had lost her son at Longleat today for half an hour but he turned up in the end - she just replied saying she had already had a text from her mother in law saying they had bumped into us and borrowed the grandson to play with his cousins for a while. When we left though I was holding my grandson's hand so he didn't sneak back to them again and managed to leave another mindee in the shop, luckily it was only 30 seconds or so when I got to the door I realised it wasn't her hand I was holding! :D

That's the thing about losing children they always seem to find their way back to us lol