PDA

View Full Version : Training/Higher Education HELP!!

kirstywrey
31-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Hi

I'm currently doing the HBCA course but I have been looking at what courses I can do at home elearning that would be recognised qualification once completed. I have been in contact with the OU but they said I can't do anything unless I'm in an Early years setting and my HBCA course isn't enough for me to qualify for the course they offered they were not overly helpful and I feel deflated now! I will be working as a childminder but I wanted to continue with higher education whilst I was childminding. Isn't childminding classed as an early years setting?

Can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction please.

Thanks Kirsty

Smiley
31-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Childminding is an early years setting as we are registered and inspected like other childcare providers. There are quite a few of us on this forum who studied with the OU and we were childminding at the time. Indeed, I gained BA (Hons) Early Years with them.

kirstywrey
31-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Oh really that's interesting they basically told me I wasn't in an early years setting and couldn't commit to working in a early years setting so I don't qualify to do the BA Honours! So I was a bit upset when I read the email as I thought the same as you. Ok that's interesting did you do the HBCA course and then apply to do the BA honours? I could really do with some guidance as I've been out of training for such a long time I'm not really sure who I should be looking at or what course I need to do etc. thank you for your help. Xx

Smiley
31-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Sorry I don't know what the HBCA course is. I started by doing their level 4 (certificate in early years practice) then moved on to the foundation degree then topping up to BA then another top up to Hons. I completed in 2009 so perhaps things have changed, have you spoken to about the requirements before starting the foundation degree?