PDA

View Full Version : risk assements

mimo
05-08-2008, 12:28 PM
do i need a car risk assessment and walking risk assesment and also a school run risk assement .As i either walk or use the car to get to school depending on the children i have or will the school run be covered under the car and walking assement .Also do you think i may get marked down as i dont use wristbands ect as the children i mind are age from 7 upwards and there is no way the 10 ,11 and 12 year olds would wear a wrist band/hat /Badge on the way home from school as it would be too embarrasing for them

EllieF
05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I have done a risk assessment for going in the car, walking etc within my risk assessments for other things e.g. park visits, school run etc.
Older children could carry your mobile phone number with them on a piece of paper in their pockets or you could make them cool credit card type ID cards with your details on that you laminate - the older kids would probably enjot designing their own
Ellie

SimplyLucy
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
do i need a car risk assessment and walking risk assesment and also a school run risk assement .As i either walk or use the car to get to school depending on the children i have or will the school run be covered under the car and walking assement .Also do you think i may get marked down as i dont use wristbands ect as the children i mind are age from 7 upwards and there is no way the 10 ,11 and 12 year olds would wear a wrist band/hat /Badge on the way home from school as it would be too embarrasing for them

All children in my care wear a bright orange reflective jacket before we step out of my house/school playground etc. no matter what age they are.

I think because I did it from the word go no one ever thought to moan or complain and now they are used to it!

Oh and Ofsted loved it too, even mentioned it in my report.

sarah707
05-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't think you'd get marked down... it's the opposite really, you get brownie points for being proactive with safety iyswim.

As for outings risk assessments - you need one for every type of outing... have fun! :D

mimo
05-08-2008, 04:52 PM
thanks all that means i have to write one for walking to school and driving into school ,such joy.Like the idea for the credit card idea though they may go for that .I give all the older ones a mobile phone with my number on if they are out without me (they are 12 ) so that we stay in contact but the credit cards would be good if someone else needs to contact me for them .although my number is the only one on the phone.

Ok back to policy and safty assesment writting for me So glad i have the week off HA HA

2kidsunder5
05-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't think you'd get marked down... it's the opposite really, you get brownie points for being proactive with safety iyswim.

As for outings risk assessments - you need one for every type of outing... have fun! :D

Hi Sarah

So I need to write a risk assessment for every single time I walk out of the door? Walking to school, use of car, going to Tesco, park, zoo, museum etc etc etc????? :(

Today we have been to Manchester Police museum, they very kindly sent me a risk assessment that they had already done - can I use this instead of doing one myself? Also, Blackpool Zoo have sent me one because we have done a group booking, may not be a bad idea to ask places that we visit if they have one?

Most days all of the kids I mind are 6 years and over, after sayng that I suppose it is good practice to have risk assessments for all ages. I may just do a general one that can be adapted for all occasions - sorry waffling now :)

Diane x

miffy
05-08-2008, 05:36 PM
There are some examples on the Bromley site.

Think it's a really good idea to ask places you are visiting for a risk assessment

Miffy xx

2kidsunder5
05-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Bromley - I love that site!!!!! :) :) :)

Off to Bromley now, thanks x

welshgirl
05-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Surely we don't need to do a risk assessment every time we go out the house? Please tell me we don't......... Can't we just do a general risk assessment for outings that we complete once?
I have only just given up my 'normal' job to become a childminder, to be honest I did it to look after kids not to do all this paper work. I am now wondering if I made the right decision. I think I might have to put my rates up to pay for all this 'overtime'!:(

sarah707
06-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Surely we don't need to do a risk assessment every time we go out the house? Please tell me we don't......... Can't we just do a general risk assessment for outings that we complete once?

The Statutory Requirements state we need a risk assessment for every type of outing... I think I will start a new thread and get people to give ideas then we can choose what type we need to do :D

angeldelight
06-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Good idea Sarah

Some members are not even aware that we are going to have to do this

Angel xxx

Mrs.L.C
06-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Does any1 know where I could find or has any1 else done a tick chart type risk assesment?

sarah707
06-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Does any1 know where I could find or has any1 else done a tick chart type risk assesment?

I put this thread on this morning... hope it helps :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13684

Pedagog
06-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks Sarah