PDA

View Full Version : New resources

Ellisha
29-07-2015, 12:21 PM
I'm just wondering how much (as a percentage of income) everyone spends on resources? I've only been registered since Feb but had lots of toys, etc from my own kids. I am spending money each month to buy things specifically to help with each mindees next steps/progress e.g. books in the first language of my mindees, garden toys, etc. Does there every come a point where you think you have most things so spending is minimal? I'm quite happy buying new things (especially from charity shops), but I always have a good think about whether it will be used/beneficial before buying.

moggy
29-07-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't buy much- I look out for Freecycle and charity shops and make full use of the Toy Library. I use natural (free) resources and all kinds of recycled/repurposed stuff.
Since April this year I have just spent the odd £5 or so on toys, no more than £30 total.

Maza
29-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I hardly spend anything anymore on childminding. There does come a point when you realise that it is taking money away from your own family holiday/children etc and so you question whether you really need it or not. We have more than enough 'toys' as they used to belong to my own DD or were given to me. If anything I replenish my arts and craft stuff but I would be doing that anyway for my DD and I am very strict regarding waste. I could do with some more face cloths and will pick some up next time I am out. If I take on another baby I will need to buy another sippy cup but that's about it. I bought tons in my first few months though. x

Smiley
29-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I always seem to be buying but mainly items to support heuristic play. I can't even do a supermarket shop without being on the lookout. A few months ago I got quite giddy about Sushi mats, they've been brilliant for children using them for transient art, displaying flower petals etc. Peat plant pots for stacking and large spring clamps for den building really cheap in those certain £1 shops, lovely little muffin tins, cake tins, wooden spoons, metal dishes oh I could go on!! May need to go shopping again for more inspiration :laughing:

Ellisha
29-07-2015, 07:57 PM
It's good to know the spending does stop! I have started collecting things like lids and bottle tops, boxes, etc but not 100% sure what I'm going to do with them. I suspect I have enough toys, but would like to improve on treasure basket type things. And I can't resist books! My kids are 2 and 4 and love books so I am always buying books, mostly second hand!

natlou82
29-07-2015, 08:39 PM
It is really hard, tbh I enjoy spending the money if the children get a lot of joy from what I buy. My own DD is 5 and extremely creative so I'm always buying craft, paper etc this week she and another mindee made sock bunnies, name bracelets and headbands! I don't spend a fortune and look out for bargains. I have a huge box which I'm collecting recycling for a big junk modelling activity on the garden and am planning on buying some rolls of lining paper for big art also in the garden. I love the holidays :-)

mumofone
29-07-2015, 08:52 PM
It is really hard, tbh I enjoy spending the money if the children get a lot of joy from what I buy. My own DD is 5 and extremely creative so I'm always buying craft, paper etc this week she and another mindee made sock bunnies, name bracelets and headbands! I don't spend a fortune and look out for bargains. I have a huge box which I'm collecting recycling for a big junk modelling activity on the garden and am planning on buying some rolls of lining paper for big art also in the garden. I love the holidays :-)

How dyou make a sock bunny natlou (and a band bracelet)? Sounds great :-)

mumofone
29-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Name not band!

natlou82
29-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I bought a kit from Wilkos, but then ended up using one of our socks anyway. Tbh you just need a sock, plastic needle, thread, buttons and stickers. I also got the elastic and fasteners (about £1 for 20 ish) beads between 25p and £1 per bag. I love the craft bits at Wilkos and quite often they reduce items. Your 6 yr old mindee would probably love some of the kits too.

Simona
30-07-2015, 08:02 AM
I'm just wondering how much (as a percentage of income) everyone spends on resources? I've only been registered since Feb but had lots of toys, etc from my own kids. I am spending money each month to buy things specifically to help with each mindees next steps/progress e.g. books in the first language of my mindees, garden toys, etc. Does there every come a point where you think you have most things so spending is minimal? I'm quite happy buying new things (especially from charity shops), but I always have a good think about whether it will be used/beneficial before buying.

Yes...there is a point where I put a stop to buying plastic toys but when it comes to 'open' and 'natural' resources then NO limit on the budget...as they can be reused over and over again and adapted for all children, all ages and all sorts of aims.

Charity shops and markets are really the best when it comes to having a box of natural and real resources for the home corner if you want one without a piece of plastic in sight!!
Collecting used pieces of resources for technology is also very cheap...old taps, clocks, cameras and IT stuff.

Does anyone use real canvas, large needles and wool for sewing and tapestry?...material for cutting? long pieces of material for tent making?

I have to say some of the toys these days are so pinky or bluey!

tess1981
30-07-2015, 09:58 AM
All our old cameras and music players ect are in my toy box.... I do not but new plastic toys unless I get a bar gin at a boot sale or charity shop or I am given them. They pull them all out of the box and don't actually play with them :(