PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - "emergency" assistant

mumofone
28-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Hi all, I have a one off situation where I need my partner to help me out by either getting him to do a school run or stay with my other mindees, it would be for a max of 20 minutes on one day. He is DBS checked but can I do this as a one off or does this breach OFSTED rules?

FussyElmo
28-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Hi all, I have a one off situation where I need my partner to help me out by either getting him to do a school run or stay with my other mindees, it would be for a max of 20 minutes on one day. He is DBS checked but can I do this as a one off or does this breach OFSTED rules?

Only if he has his first aid. if he doesn't then no you cant leave him alone with the mindees

shortstuff
29-07-2015, 04:39 AM
I completely agree with fussy.

Is there any other way around your situation? If you have advance warning a situation is arising could we ry to offer another solution?

natlou82
29-07-2015, 05:36 AM
Do you know of any other CMs who do your school run who could help you out?

moggy
29-07-2015, 06:45 AM
I would not use the word 'emergency' unless you are talking about life and death, someone being carried off in an ambulance etc.
Is it a real 'emergency'? In that case I hope you are all ok and you can find a way to get through the event.

If you mean there is a clash in what parents require in hours or school runs, or a clash with some other appointment/event, that is not an emergency.

What is the situation?

You can not leave children with a registered assistant unless they have full paediatric first aid. Not even for 5 minutes.

mumofone
29-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys, I thought this would be the case but thought I'd just check (sometimes there's a loophole!) :-)

AliceK
29-07-2015, 07:13 AM
I once had a situation whereby I had to go and have a tooth out in an emergency. I got permission from parents that their children could stay with my OH (dbs checked) whilst I had it done. I made it clear that my care for them would end when I went in to have it done and then re-start when I came back out. I don't know whether this was a legitimate way around things but it was either that or all parents would have needed to come and take their children for my half hr appt.

xx

Simona
29-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys, I thought this would be the case but thought I'd just check (sometimes there's a loophole!) :-)

There aren't really any loopholes about this...EYFS/Ofsted guidance is very clear most of the time ....on this one it definitely is.
Hope you get it sorted .

loocyloo
29-07-2015, 07:36 AM
I would not use the word 'emergency' unless you are talking about life and death, someone being carried off in an ambulance etc.
Is it a real 'emergency'? In that case I hope you are all ok and you can find a way to get through the event.

If you mean there is a clash in what parents require in hours or school runs, or a clash with some other appointment/event, that is not an emergency.

What is the situation?

You can not leave children with a registered assistant unless they have full paediatric first aid. Not even for 5 minutes.

I agree with moggy, an emergency crops up unexpectedly and you just have to deal with it.
If you know in advance it is a problem you need to solve!

Are there other childminders who could collect for you? A mum who could collect a child early from you? A friend of mindees mum who collect from school and drop off for you?

Unless your husband is registered as your assistant he cannot be left with the children ( and then he must have first aid ) and you must stay within your ratio. If he was registered as your assistant you could (possibly) increase your numbers and with first aid, he could be left with children/do a school run.
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

mumofone
29-07-2015, 07:47 AM
No that's great thanks guys, it's as I thought but was just checking :-) x

mumofone
29-07-2015, 07:49 AM
There aren't really any loopholes about this...EYFS/Ofsted guidance is very clear most of the time ....on this one it definitely is. Hope you get it sorted .

That's ok thanks simona, I'm a stickler for rules anyway so just wanted to go by the book :-)