PDA

View Full Version : Pay date

Snowwhite
28-07-2015, 01:56 PM
I expect a lot of us have a set pay date and if parent pays via online bank transfer do you expect that money to be in your account first thing that morning or do you just hang on/ keep checking and wait to see if it goes in later that day or even that evening before contacting the parent to check they haven't forgotten? My fees for each child usually vary month by month so the parent often pays a different amount into my account each month but knows it's always on or before the 28th, so the parent usually has the transfer set up for the 28th and has the amount ready.so if the money isn't in my account first thing that morning then i often think parent has forgotten and then left with the awkward thing of speaking with them about it. Just had to remind a parent via a text and turns out she hadn't forgotten and was going to pay it in this evening when home from work! Maybe it's my fault by not being a bit clearer and saying money to be payed in first thing on the 28th.

smurfette
28-07-2015, 03:16 PM
I say it has to be in by close of business on a Friday , so 5pm.. But in reality the bank closes at 4, and if a parent has same bank as me then it can go in after that and it will still hit the bank immediately. It's catch 22 isn't it. You can't really ask parents to lodge by a certain time but if you leave it Til bank is closed its too late !

shortstuff
28-07-2015, 04:09 PM
I let parents know that my payday is 1st of the month or Monday weekly. My payment is in advance so i am happy if it is there when I check my account first thing on 2nd. If not I resend the invoice with the reminder of fees. I have only ever charged late fees once. I have however had a parent add it when they paid me on 2nd :D

bunyip
28-07-2015, 06:01 PM
If you want to be sure of having the money available to spend on the 28th, surely the best thing would be to set your payment date as the 21st? :huh:

mumofone
28-07-2015, 06:38 PM
I expect a lot of us have a set pay date and if parent pays via online bank transfer do you expect that money to be in your account first thing that morning or do you just hang on/ keep checking and wait to see if it goes in later that day or even that evening before contacting the parent to check they haven't forgotten? My fees for each child usually vary month by month so the parent often pays a different amount into my account each month but knows it's always on or before the 28th, so the parent usually has the transfer set up for the 28th and has the amount ready.so if the money isn't in my account first thing that morning then i often think parent has forgotten and then left with the awkward thing of speaking with them about it. Just had to remind a parent via a text and turns out she hadn't forgotten and was going to pay it in this evening when home from work! Maybe it's my fault by not being a bit clearer and saying money to be payed in first thing on the 28th.

I know how you feel, I have a family who pay at the last possible hour, and I've had to email s reminder a couple of times which makes me feel really uncomfortable and awkward and then they pay but I don't know if it's due to my reminder or whether they would have done anyway.

Snowwhite
28-07-2015, 09:10 PM
If you want to be sure of having the money available to spend on the 28th, surely the best thing would be to set your payment date as the 21st? :huh:

It's not really a case of changing the payment date as the same thing could happen then in regards to parent forgetting to pay that day or just taking there time in paying it in. The 28th suits me and other parents, (when they remember!) my outgoings are different dates throughout the month so changing the date won't really make a difference.
Parents pay me in advance so todays payment covers August. I used to say last working day of the month but i then found 28th suited better

redtiger21
29-07-2015, 06:32 AM
I'm reasonably relaxed about it really, I usually send invoices a few days before payment date and almost all have it paid either the day I email them, or by the payment date, but I've had a notorious late payer- I usually wait til about 3 days after due date and send a reminder. As long as I know they're "good for the money" I'm not too worried really x

mama2three
29-07-2015, 08:04 AM
It's not really a case of changing the payment date as the same thing could happen then in regards to parent forgetting to pay that day or just taking there time in paying it in. The 28th suits me and other parents, (when they remember!) my outgoings are different dates throughout the month so changing the date won't really make a difference.
Parents pay me in advance so todays payment covers August. I used to say last working day of the month but i then found 28th suited better

If its not urgent that your funds are in by the 28th then I would just check the following morning that everyone had paid ... not worth the stress of chasing everyone on the 28th if they are generally good payers. I wouldn't consider myself a late payer if I transferred the funds on the 28th when that's the paydate , and I might be a little unhappy with chasing calls / reminders when I wasn't actually late at all.

Simona
30-07-2015, 08:17 AM

Definitely YES...if the contract states the money has to reach the ''provider's account by.......'' then the parents can decide how in advance they need to pay us just as they would not default on their mortgage they should not be late paying us.
Parents would not expect to remind their employer to pay them on time...so not sure why we need to remind them to pay us?

I do not believe cms need to remind parents of making payments on time every month..... cms would not expect parents to remind the cm to be open and ready for the contracted hours every month?...a legal agreement like a contract should be respected by parents.
Rather than us reminding parents to pay...ask parents to inform you when 'they;' have made the payment and put that in the contract....it may prove vital!

These days BAC transfers are really very quick
Childcare vouchers too have improved ....apart from 1 company that takes more than 5 days , most pay vouchers within days

many cms say they will charge a 'late payment' fee...please check with your insurance when and how you can apply this...it is not that easy and not always applicable.
If any cm goes into overdraft due to late payments ...that has consequences on credit status.

I think cms need to be a little bit less flexible on this point...fair yes but not constantly battling to be paid on time.

Preschools and nurseries are certainly a bit more strict on this...worth looking into it.

FussyElmo
30-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Definitely YES...if the contract states the money has to reach the ''provider's account by.......'' then the parents can decide how in advance they need to pay us just as they would not default on their mortgage they should not be late paying us.
Parents would not expect to remind their employer to pay them on time...so not sure why we need to remind them to pay us?

I do not believe cms need to remind parents of making payments on time every month..... cms would not expect parents to remind the cm to be open and ready for the contracted hours every month?...a legal agreement like a contract should be respected by parents.
Rather than us reminding parents to pay...ask parents to inform you when 'they;' have made the payment and put that in the contract....it may prove vital!

These days BAC transfers are really very quick
Childcare vouchers too have improved ....apart from 1 company that takes more than 5 days , most pay vouchers within days

many cms say they will charge a 'late payment' fee...please check with your insurance when and how you can apply this...it is not that easy and not always applicable.
If any cm goes into overdraft due to late payments ...that has consequences on credit status.

I think cms need to be a little bit less flexible on this point...fair yes but not constantly battling to be paid on time.

Preschools and nurseries are certainly a bit more strict on this...worth looking into it.

Fair points Simona.

However in this case the parent is paying on time she makes sure the transfer is done on agreed day.

FussyElmo
30-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Its a tricky one really Im not certain you can insist by a certain time.

What if the parent cant use the internet at work so cant transfer the money until she gets home. Would you then consider her to be late in paying?

Personally for me along as he parent paid me on the agreed date I would be happy especially if I was being paid in advance :thumbsup:

Simona
30-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Fair points Simona.

However in this case the parent is paying on time she makes sure the transfer is done on agreed day.

My mistake/fault for replying by quoting the OP... but I was trying to address the other replies as well.
We all seem to have a few problems with being paid...I live to see the day when Cms do not have to worry about it anymore.

I too have had a few issues in the past...late payers were usually 'bankers'....says it all! :angry:

I take your point about 'being happy' to be paid in advance...but we also have to pay for lots of things in advance...it is really a 2 way system....most providers get paid in advance and often a term in advance.