PDA

View Full Version : Government funded places

emma_lubylu
27-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Hi,
So I've had one of my parents approach me regarding the funded 2 year old place for their LO starting Sept.

Question is, do you offer funded places?

I have been into contact with my LA and not sure if all are the same, but mine pay 50% of fees at the start of the term, and 50% and the end of the term. This means I will be working 6/7 weeks with no payment.

The LA adviser I spoke to explained that this is JUST for education, and I would charge extra for meals, with is fair enough, but what about my wage?! I am working hard for it after all and feel this discredits my work I do.

Any comments/advise will be hugely appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

bunyip
27-07-2015, 10:39 AM
This is similar to most LA's. I do funded 3-4yo's and our LA does something like a 70%-30% split at the start/end of term. IIUC it avoids the LA being in a position of having to claw back too much in the way of refunds for children leaving part way through term.

Personal opinion, not criticism, but I don't believe it devalues what we do. What does devalue us is the rate at which funding is paid: so do check how the funding rate stacks up against your normal fee.

The payment arrangements are a case of 'swings and roundabouts'. The LA gives you quite a good chunk by way of an advance, then ends up quite heavily in arrears, which does at least get settled and you do at last know when you are getting paid when you're dealing with an LA. CMs dealing directly with parents don't always know when they get paid: or even if they'll get paid at all in many cases. :(

Your situation amounts to a short-term cash-flow issue. Tbf, it's actually an extremely small-scale problem set against the vast majority of self-employed people and comparable small businesses. I accept you/we are working hard for the money and very much deserve it, but a sense of proportion over this might make it a bit more palatable.

Ultimately only you can decide if it's worth waiting for the money...............especially if the alternative is not taking on the child and thereby not getting the money at all.

Mouse
27-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Maybe your LA hasn't fully explained what they mean by the funding is 'just for education'. To me that means that the money they give you is only to cover the basic care and education you provide for those 15 hours. It doesn't cover the cost of any food you provide or the cost of any trips you might go on, so you can charge extra for those (although you must give the parents the option of providing a packed lunch if they don't want to pay extra for meals.)

You need to check the level of funding that your LA pays as this varies from LA to LA.

In my LA we get paid 60% before the start of term and the remaining 40% towards the end of term. If I had only funded children I may struggle as I'd have no income for a few weeks, but as I have other families on my books who pay weekly, I always have some money coming in. I actually like having the funded money coming in as lump sums twice a term. If it would be too much of a problem for you speak to your LA. I know ours will pay childminders in advance if they push hard enough.

I'm not quite sure how you feel this discredits your work.

Lal
27-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Depending on your LA it may be a lengthy application process...... I've had to fill in a form, participate in a webinar (tonight),and fill in a SEF form for 2yr funding. I had to declare if I thought 20ish areas of my provision were developing or established, describe what I did and identify how I would develop the areas I identified as being 'developing'. I had a few areas which I recognised as established, but most as developing. I've been registered less than a year, so I don't really feel any of my practice can be described as established. I've now been advised to have a meeting with my DO to talk about the areas I have described as developing.

I would get in touch and apply if you need it in place for September. Hope your LA has less hoops to jump through than mine :)

emma_lubylu
27-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

Maybe my comments about 'discrediting my work' was a tad OTT, but i guess i was just disgruntled after the conversation with the LA. :blush:

bunyip, I agree, they do stump up a large amount to start, but this is what I don't understand, surely it would work out better do do it monthly so they don't get stung?! Although it is a short-term cash flow issue, the child has already dropped hours, to drop them again to the 15 free hours, so it is already impacting me. I do not have many children on my books as I have LO of my own, so every penny counts! :)

Mouse, the LA did explain to me that it was just for the care, and anything else (food, outing, paid groups etc) I would have to charge for.

Lal, sounds like the process will be fun if I decided to go through with the funded places!!!! :panic: hehe

FloraDora
27-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Just be aware that in the nature of the financial circumstances that families have to be in to receive the 2 year funding - they may not be able to afford the extra costs you mention. You have to allow them if they wish to bring packed lunches. Childminder Friends have been in the situation where parents have said yes to the extras but then haven't been in a position to pay the childminder.
Personally I think if you are in need of the money in advance then it may be better to say goodbye and hope you get another family - when the child is 3 the funding money will drop too.

Simona
27-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

Maybe my comments about 'discrediting my work' was a tad OTT, but i guess i was just disgruntled after the conversation with the LA. :blush:

bunyip, I agree, they do stump up a large amount to start, but this is what I don't understand, surely it would work out better do do it monthly so they don't get stung?! Although it is a short-term cash flow issue, the child has already dropped hours, to drop them again to the 15 free hours, so it is already impacting me. I do not have many children on my books as I have LO of my own, so every penny counts! :)

Mouse, the LA did explain to me that it was just for the care, and anything else (food, outing, paid groups etc) I would have to charge for.

Lal, sounds like the process will be fun if I decided to go through with the funded places!!!! :panic: hehe

The 15 hours is for 'Funded Early Education' not childcare...although we cannot separate education from care...hence the reason we can charge for extras 'outside' of the entitlement....your LA should know that.
It is meant to close the attainment gap for these children as Wilshaw is fond on reminding us!

Having said that the govt has conveniently moved the goal post and calls the 30 hours 'childcare'
Don't forget that these children will also be entitled to the EYPP when they get to age 3 and that adds the phenomal amount of 53 pence to the funding! Yay!!

emma_lubylu
28-07-2015, 06:16 AM
The 15 hours is for 'Funded Early Education' not childcare...although we cannot separate education from care...hence the reason we can charge for extras 'outside' of the entitlement....your LA should know that.
It is meant to close the attainment gap for these children as Wilshaw is fond on reminding us!

Having said that the govt has conveniently moved the goal post and calls the 30 hours 'childcare'
Don't forget that these children will also be entitled to the EYPP when they get to age 3 and that adds the phenomal amount of 53 pence to the funding! Yay!!

Sorry, I did mean education not care, they did explain that to me :)

emma_lubylu
28-07-2015, 06:20 AM
FloraDora, you're right, I don't think they will know that it doesn't include meal etc, and may find it a problem as at the moment, everything is included in my fees.