PDA

View Full Version : Useful software

stacieepg
26-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Hi all,

Looking at software options moving forwards.

Can anyone recommend any good software they have used and if they like it give the list of features (especially how it fits with my needs)

My other half is quite computer savvy and most of the things I do are based around a series of systems he has set up (all password protected, backed up and only on my computer... No cloud based stuff)

Currently using a system which has been pretty good to be honest but...... lol

I use the system to do the following:
- create observations (not to print from system) that link to a tracker across the EYFS framework and allow me to add example next steps. This lets me track progress and link to example next steps and short/medium term planning (also some plans already included in the software which are pretty good. It all links in with next steps, ILPs, summarise assessments and 2 year checks.

I then print the trackers and reports to add into the LJ and create my own observations (as OFSTED loved the format and my LEA EY co-ordinator said it's probably the best Obs format she ever seen and advised me to have it copyrighted and sell the format online lol...

I also use the system to create invoices as it does make this easy given that I charge by the hour with core pricing, retainer pricing, Saturday pricing etc.

Looking at the options I see the following:

- tapestry (having to subscribe to a forum before I can buy worries me)
- minding matters/mega minder
- owltrack

Are any of these any good? Do they fit my needs aswell as my current system? Can I trial for free?

Are there any others which may be good?

I work from an iMac so don't know if some systems are windows only etc.

moggy
26-07-2015, 02:38 PM
If your current system is working well for you, why are you lookign to change? What are you looking for that you are missing at the moment? That might help us advise you.

Your Local Authority may already have the Early Years Forum subscription paid for all settings in your area- ask your LA or ask the EY Forum/Tapestry. Mine did so I do not have to pay that part of the cost. I just pay the annual fee for the minimum amount of children.

stacieepg
26-07-2015, 04:41 PM
It's a customer service issue really. Daren't say more as you can get treated badly for speaking out lol.

Don't think my LEA are subscribed to be fair

moggy
26-07-2015, 06:19 PM
It's a customer service issue really. Daren't say more as you can get treated badly for speaking out lol.

Don't think my LEA are subscribed to be fair

Oh, I see- I thought you meant you had your own system for doing all those things. Your own systen is just for obs then.

Well, Tapestry will do all the LJ things for you (obs, photos/video, analysis, tracking, reports, parent input, all about me).
It won't do invoicing for you. I am finding it very easy to use and set up, the parents all love it and contribute a lot.

LAs with Tapestry/EYFSF subscriptionms are listed here:

Subscription - List of Participating Local Authorities (http://eyfs.info/join-us/local-authority-subscription-scheme)