PDA

View Full Version : Sports/water bottles

mumofone
25-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Some of my mindees have water/drinks bottles that they take to school or bring to mine, is there a particular/popular type kids use these days (they all look very similar) that anyone can recommend me?
Added to this, is it frowned upon by OFSTED if kids drink like this in your setting, should they be seen to be drinking out of open topped cups?

Mouse
25-07-2015, 08:10 PM
I know places like the Pound shops sell sports bottles, but I've never found them very good as they leak. I'd prefer to pay more for a better quality one, but don't want to spend too much as the tops always get chewed! My current ones are Sistema ones that you can get from supermarkets etc.

I use sports bottles during the day. They're left out so children can help themselves to water either inside or outside (they know to go and stand still or sit while they drink). When it's snack time or lunch time the children all sit at the table to eat, so have open cups. I've got some great little Tupperware ones with handles that are just the right size for their 1/3pint milk , then the colourful plastic Ikea beakers that they use for water.

alex__17
25-07-2015, 08:45 PM
I like the sistema bottles, I've seen them in most supermarkets, they do a small one which is about £2 and I've had ours a couple of years and they don't leak. I use them just for water and stick it in the dishwasher, the lid twists to open, and they're nice bright colours.
Some kids bring their own but often they end up leaking and I've never had that problem with these.

loocyloo
25-07-2015, 09:04 PM
I use the ones from poundland and rarely have a problem with them. (Until tops are chewed!)

I only use them for going out and about. At home we have lidded cups for little ones and beakers as soon as they can manage them.

Dd has a sistema one for her lunch box and it has just about survived a year, but it doesn't do up as tight as it did.

I used to ask children to bring their own but it became a nightmare to transport them if going out and they often leaked, (plus i was never of they had been cleaned/ fresh waste put in ) so I have lots and everyone has whichever they are given that day!

FloraDora
25-07-2015, 09:29 PM
At the dining table for breakfast fresh juice / milk, water for lunch / and milk / fruit smoothie/ hot chocolate for afternoon snack - I use small glasses/ small China bunnykins or other characters cups either with one or two handles, depending on skills. I am a bit of an Espresso fan so have loads of different small espresso cups which work a treat for LO's.

No plastic ever.... Apart from an occasional water bottle for trips out or garden picnics - but we have lovely metal canal like decorated outdoor cups that we've had for 30 years and when it's hot, metal keeps your drinks so cool. ( my picnic stalwarts - rose wine in

In between meals I have a water dispenser and help your self small glasses. Fresh water with ice cubes in hot weather .

So ...no plastic water water bottles for me if I can help it....from 12 months plus ...glass and China works for me.... Good for training too as the children really take care of glasses as they know it might break if they drop it.
Big Montessori fan in this area....plus my own lads grew up without plastic so continuing my Eco friendly beliefs...plus I hate chewed ends of plastic water bottles!

Simona
26-07-2015, 08:12 AM
Same as Flora Dora...china and glass is appropriate for children to use ...a la Reggio Emilia.

Mumofone...Ofsted do not frown upon what type of bottles children drink from...it is up to you to judge what you want them to use...or maybe give children a choice.
For babies plastic is the only choice and also you can monitor the amount they drink each day as some parents are keen on this.
Also challenge the inspector should she say something rather silly on this.
All they should observe is you keep children hydrated and why....and maybe ask children why water is good for them....if language development allows it!

mumofone
26-07-2015, 09:56 AM
At the dining table for breakfast fresh juice / milk, water for lunch / and milk / fruit smoothie/ hot chocolate for afternoon snack - I use small glasses/ small China bunnykins or other characters cups either with one or two handles, depending on skills. I am a bit of an Espresso fan so have loads of different small espresso cups which work a treat for LO's. No plastic ever.... Apart from an occasional water bottle for trips out or garden picnics - but we have lovely metal canal like decorated outdoor cups that we've had for 30 years and when it's hot, metal keeps your drinks so cool. ( my picnic stalwarts - rose wine in In between meals I have a water dispenser and help your self small glasses. Fresh water with ice cubes in hot weather . So ...no plastic water water bottles for me if I can help it....from 12 months plus ...glass and China works for me.... Good for training too as the children really take care of glasses as they know it might break if they drop it. Big Montessori fan in this area....plus my own lads grew up without plastic so continuing my Eco friendly beliefs...plus I hate chewed ends of plastic water bottles!

Thanks FD, I don't really know about the whole Montessori thing, what are the main ideas/principles (have I asked this before?!)