PDA

View Full Version : Newsnight and CMs

Simona
24-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Please watch the interview on Newsnight last night with an ex CM...they were talking about the possible rise in childcare costs but the woman interviewed said something 'not quite pleasing to CMs'.

A few people tweeted about this....will Newsnight clarify? we wait and see

BBC iPlayer - Newsnight - 23/07/2015 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b063cq2h/newsnight-23072015)

Mouse
24-07-2015, 08:55 AM
She doesn't really seem to know what she's talking about, does she?

Childminders like the funding because they get paid more than they would normally and childminders who offer funding have to have additional training so it makes them better than other childminders??

What I have found encouraging about all these articles coming out regarding the 30 hours funding is that they do seem to be highlighting the fact that childcare providers are underfunded, that quality childcare costs money and that unless the funding is increased many providers may withdraw from the scheme. I do still wish they would clarify the fact that it's the LAs withholding the money, but at least it's a move in the right direction and promising to see that we're no longer being blamed for high childcare costs.

Simona
24-07-2015, 09:20 AM
She doesn't really seem to know what she's talking about, does she?

Childminders like the funding because they get paid more than they would normally and childminders who offer funding have to have additional training so it makes them better than other childminders??

What I have found encouraging about all these articles coming out regarding the 30 hours funding is that they do seem to be highlighting the fact that childcare providers are underfunded, that quality childcare costs money and that unless the funding is increased many providers may withdraw from the scheme. I do still wish they would clarify the fact that it's the LAs withholding the money, but at least it's a move in the right direction and promising to see that we're no longer being blamed for high childcare costs.

There has been a call to Newsnight to clarify what the woman was saying...she was wrong on many counts....especially cms being 'informal' childcare.
A few cms tweeted last night and this morning I asked for clarification from the newsnight editor and others are joining the call.

The interview was actually highlighting the fact that the 30 hours will mean an increase in cost for those not entitled to it...the topic was badly researched but good to discuss.

If anyone is on twitter please join in.

I am not sure who the ex cm is...I will try to follow this up later....she made several statement but always ended her quotes with a question mark????

Mouse
24-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Settling into a childminders life - Tired Mummy of Two (http://www.tiredmummyoftwo.co.uk/blog/settling-into-a-childminders-life)

Here's one of her early posts about childminders. I'm not quite sure why Newsnight would have chosen her to speak on behalf of childminders.

Mouse
24-07-2015, 09:42 AM
In a very recent post (3/7/15) she says how childminders are inspected annually by Social Services to make sure your home and qualifications are up to a safe standard.

Quite frightening that she is speaking on behalf of childminders!

A longer read of her blog shows that she was a childminder for a few months back in 2012, but had to give up due to her daughter being very ill. It seems such an odd choice when there are so many currently working childminders who could have been contacted and whom I'm sure would have happily spoken on Newsnight.

tess1981
24-07-2015, 01:25 PM
In a very recent post (3/7/15) she says how childminders are inspected annually by Social Services to make sure your home and qualifications are up to a safe standard.

Quite frightening that she is speaking on behalf of childminders!

A longer read of her blog shows that she was a childminder for a few months back in 2012, but had to give up due to her daughter being very ill. It seems such an odd choice when there are so many currently working childminders who could have been contacted and whom I'm sure would have happily spoken on Newsnight.

Have not read the article but where was cm from. I am inspected annually by social services as I am from northern Ireland.

Mouse
24-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Have not read the article but where was cm from. I am inspected annually by social services as I am from northern Ireland.

That's a fair point. She's from Manchester though and talks about being registered by Ofsted.

tess1981
24-07-2015, 03:03 PM
That's a fair point. She's from Manchester though and talks about being registered by Ofsted.

From what I have read on this site you are not inspected annually... where she get that info from... baffled!!!

mumofone
24-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Why was she chosen to speak on the subject? I'm bemused!

Smiley
24-07-2015, 03:52 PM
I have just watched it!!
What a missed opportunity and I found myself challenging the woman, I wonder why she was chosen to represent us?

Simona
24-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Settling into a childminders life - Tired Mummy of Two (http://www.tiredmummyoftwo.co.uk/blog/settling-into-a-childminders-life)

Here's one of her early posts about childminders. I'm not quite sure why Newsnight would have chosen her to speak on behalf of childminders.

Thank you for posting that blog...oh boy there are some iffy comments on there.
The last sentence on its own is enough to infuriate any cm....the rest is just incredible.

Newsnight did not research the topic well enough or they would have challenged the Gingerbread woman who said that only 40% of providers are Good/outstanding and care for 2 year olds...she obviously has not seen the latest statistics from Ofsted....87% overall and 84% for cms.

Judging from her tweets with Children at Heart @Tiredmummyoftwo was not aware that things have changed when Ofsted grade became the only criteria for accessing funding
Also in 2011 she was required to do extra training to access funding...maybe she belonged to a network?
it explains it all so she should have also researched the issue a bit more

Not a good advocate for cms I fear!

Mouse
24-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Judging from her tweets with Children at Heart @Tiredmummyoftwo was not aware that things have changed when Ofsted grade became the only criteria for accessing funding
Also in 2011 she was required to do extra training to access funding...maybe she belonged to a network?
it explains it all so she should have also researched the issue a bit more

Not a good advocate for cms I fear!

It's understandable that she didn't know how things worked currently, but why on earth would she go on TV talking about something she has no up to date knowledge of?

One of her other blog posts says that she would never go on TV again (she appeared on a reality TV programme). What a shame she didn't stick to that!

mumofone
24-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Did I mis hear or did she say childminders like the idea of 30 hours free childcare because we get paid more?!

Simona
24-07-2015, 07:36 PM
It's understandable that she didn't know how things worked currently, but why on earth would she go on TV talking about something she has no up to date knowledge of?

One of her other blog posts says that she would never go on TV again (she appeared on a reality TV programme). What a shame she didn't stick to that!

Why did Newsnight ask her? I don't think she is in childcare anymore ...she is some sort of managing director for some sort of blogging company :rolleyes:
She has been told that either PLA or Pacey would have been better at being interviewed...both associations were included in the tweets but no reply

Mumofone...yes she said that but admitted in a tweet later she was not aware of the funding issue as she had gone by what one cm had told her ...that was the basis of her research? :panic:

Mouse
24-07-2015, 08:00 PM
but admitted in a tweet later she was not aware of the funding issue as she had gone by what one cm had told her ...that was the basis of her research? :panic:

Frightening!

Such a shame that an opportunity to discuss a very important issue was completely wasted.

If Newsnight ever want to interview someone about the price of shoes I'd like to apply - I applied for a job in a shoe shop once. I didn't get the job, but my friend has told me how much some of her shoes cost so I feel perfectly qualified to appear on TV to talk about it :rolleyes:

Simona
24-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Frightening!

Such a shame that an opportunity to discuss a very important issue was completely wasted.

If Newsnight ever want to interview someone about the price of shoes I'd like to apply - I applied for a job in a shoe shop once. I didn't get the job, but my friend has told me how much some of her shoes cost so I feel perfectly qualified to appear on TV to talk about it :rolleyes:

I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities to discuss this issue again...looks like to me the govt has run before it can walk on this 30 hours saga!...if I were a parent hoping to see this materialise I would think again.
We could name you as our spokesperson...make sure you also have your say on the Big Childcare Conversation which is all about funding.

Can't wait for the funding review consultation to be published...I will surely send the link to Tiredmummyoftwo!....I am following her on Twitter and hope she does not meddle in childcare issues again

greenfaerie
24-07-2015, 10:48 PM

That made me laugh out loud and then read it to my partner, so thanks for that!

I've not watched this Newsnight yet, but I will when I get a moment since I apparently like to annoy myself deliberately. :D