PDA

View Full Version : Separating babies from older children

mumofone
21-07-2015, 08:44 PM
I've got an issue with babies (my own particularly!) as they like to get involved in what the older children do. Whilst i know this may sound sweet its really impractical and annoys the older children. For example, older child builds a tower on the floor, my child crawls over and knocks it over. Older child does a jigsaw, my child crawls over and pulls up all the pieces. I dont know how to prevent this as obviously i want my own child (and other babies) to have space to crawl and explore but I want to let the older children play without being bothered by them too. Any advice would be great! :-)

chris goodyear
21-07-2015, 09:36 PM
If it's things like jigsaws, drawing,craft activities, board games or even building towers etc, something that a baby can destroy I tell the older child to do it at the dining table. If they resist then they take the consequences!

Simona
22-07-2015, 07:22 AM
I've got an issue with babies (my own particularly!) as they like to get involved in what the older children do. Whilst i know this may sound sweet its really impractical and annoys the older children. For example, older child builds a tower on the floor, my child crawls over and knocks it over. Older child does a jigsaw, my child crawls over and pulls up all the pieces. I dont know how to prevent this as obviously i want my own child (and other babies) to have space to crawl and explore but I want to let the older children play without being bothered by them too. Any advice would be great! :-)

Of course they do...babies are just like that!...and toddlers too
You made me think back 12 years and the many situations like you have described...children do something then it gets knocked down by a baby!
But also can show photos with babies happily in the middle of play with no problem.

Talk to the older children so they understand 'what babies do' and can handle it and think for themselves...you can plan for certain activities to be done when babies are asleep or away from them ...if you have room.

I would rather see that than a room full of babies who never go anywhere, never interact with older children, from whom they can learn so much ..the beauty of home based childcare!

Good luck!

watford wizz
22-07-2015, 08:30 AM
It's not just about babies learning from older ones it goes both ways. With families being so much smaller these days older children can learn important life skills about babies and also the emotions that go with them. This is why I love minding, having a big busy minding/fostering family that equally care for each other.

FussyElmo
22-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Its one of the balancing acts that we have to deal with in a course of a day.

yes the children have to learn to co exist.

The younger children have to learn to respect the older children and vice versa.

Have you the space to separate the children. if an older child is always having their activities joined in by babies (messed up) this can lead to conflict.

Its just making sure that a similar activity is set up so everyone can join in. Nothing more fun than knocking over towers :thumbsup:

moggy
22-07-2015, 12:39 PM
If the older ones don't want baby to touch, it has to be done on the table. Worked with my own children and with the mindees too. The older ones also learn about distraction techniques to draw a baby away from what they don't want touched.

clareelizabeth1
22-07-2015, 08:37 PM
I put up a play pen for my school children once. They were able to get on with what they liked drawing Lego and such and toddlers had free range of the play room. Worked well for the holidays.

tess1981
23-07-2015, 07:17 AM
I have put up a stair gate into my kitchen so when older ones wanted to do art or lego etc they could go on and do it in peace also meant little ones not in danger of picking up a little piece of lego and choking

jennycr123
24-07-2015, 06:06 AM
You are doing so good because if elders are not saperated from babies it will be danger in many ways like they work art craft and play more than babies and also babies are not able to bear a single hit.