PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help...?

mum2two
05-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know if it mentions anywhere in the national standards, or new EYFS standards, that we cannot have children with uncompleted buildings works...? If so, where?

Thanks

Kelly x

sarah707
05-08-2008, 09:40 AM
It says that we must risk assess to be assured of children's safety...

And if it is big building work, Ofsted need to be informed and children need to be kept away until say a new conservatory has been authorised by them.

I had children here during my loft conversion (put up a physical barrier which prevented them from getting too close to the action) and during the construction of my conservatory (again, kept them in a different room and took them out most of the day).

When I had my patio laid, they all stood and watched through the windows... about 9 children (including my own and friends) watching... it was funny!

Has someone said something you are concerned about?? :D

mum2two
05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
No no-ones said anything, it's just we ordered a DIY conservatory. When we went to put it up last weekend, we put up the 4 side panels, and 2 on the front. When we went to put the door frame on, there were parts missing, so we couldn't complete.

The conservatory was quite wobbly, as not secured to anything, so when I called them Mon am, I told them I couldn't have children until it was completed, therefore losing money, so could they send the parts out same day.

The customer service was a joke, and the parts weren't ordered until Tues, and not delivered til Weds, so completed Thurs, ready for ds party on Fri... :phew:

Well, on the phone on Mon, I asked for compensation, to be told by the dimwit that wasn't his department & I'd have to e-mail. Which I did. I calculated my earnings for every day last week.

Today, I called, as no response, and was told I'd be unlikely to get compensation as it's hard to prove I didn't work. :angry:

I've re sent the e-mail, and just put that ofsted say children require access to outdoor space, and that indoor and outdoor space must be kept safe. Quoted the standards, but didn't now if it said anything particular about buildings work.

Useless company!! And the instructions were all wrong. We called a few times to be told 'Oh you have a different set up, you do it like this...'

Hope I get something...

Kelly x

sarah707
05-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I hope you get something too!

You could bang on about how you have to take children's safety very seriously and it simply was not safe... and that was their mistake because of their total ineffiency.

A friend who is very good at writing letters rings companies and asks for the name of the MD... then writes to him/her, private and confidential. It often gets more results if you go straight to the top.

Good luck! :D

Pipsqueak
05-08-2008, 10:39 AM
and you can prove you didn't work - your attendance sheet (if its good enough for Ofsted - a government body!!!) and parents can confirm.

SArah is right - ALWAYS goes straight to the top never to the minions below!

Good luck:D

mum2two
05-08-2008, 11:37 AM
The only thing I worry about proving to them, by showing stuff, is I'm then in breach of confidentiality.

I can show them contracts stating my terms, and attendance sheets, but I can't show any names or details, so They'll prob say they can't accept it...

They're just trying to get out of paying me anything

Kelly x

cloud9
05-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I hate to say it but i would have thought that they will just come back to you and say that if it was paramount that the work was completed to prevent you from suffering loss of earnings you should have ensured all the parts were there to complete the build before starting.

Sorry!:) and good luck with them

mum2two
07-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I hate to say it but i would have thought that they will just come back to you and say that if it was paramount that the work was completed to prevent you from suffering loss of earnings you should have ensured all the parts were there to complete the build before starting.

Sorry!:) and good luck with them

We opened the box which had the parts sheet listed in it, and opened the packs to confirm we had it all before we began. We had everything that was listed.

When we got round to the parts that were missing, they had listed the wrong parts, and so sent us the wrong parts. So we had 2 parts that weren't needed anywhere on our conservatory.

That's part of my argument. We wouldn't have started had we known we were missing bits.

Kelly x