PDA

View Full Version : Typical childhood illnesses

mumofone
19-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Are there any illnesses that are very common in children that I should be aware of the symptoms/signs of? I don't recall covering anything like this on my first aid course.

watford wizz
19-07-2015, 01:20 PM
The spotty book is a good resource x

moggy
19-07-2015, 01:20 PM
We should not get involved in trying to diagnose anything. If you think child is ill they need to see GP.
It is useful to be able to spot chicken pox- they are like water-filled blisters.

blue bear
19-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Goggle is my best friend,
Common things are
Nits
Chicken pox
Worms
Shingles
Sickness and diareha
Slapped cheek
Hand foot and mouth
Conjunctivitis
Ring worm
Impetigo
Sun burn
Heat rash
Allergy reactions
Viral rash
Excema

I'd google images, always handy to have so e idea of what they look like but a smoggy says don't try to diagnose, send them off to the docs

mumofone
19-07-2015, 04:27 PM
The spotty book is a good resource x

Thanks Watford wizz I'll take a look :-)

Simona
19-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Also try the Health Protection England guidance !

mumofone
19-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Goggle is my best friend, Common things are Nits Chicken pox Worms Shingles Sickness and diareha Slapped cheek Hand foot and mouth Conjunctivitis Ring worm Impetigo Sun burn Heat rash Allergy reactions Viral rash Excema I'd google images, always handy to have so e idea of what they look like but a smoggy says don't try to diagnose, send them off to the docs

Thanks blue bear :-)

mumofone
19-07-2015, 06:12 PM
We should not get involved in trying to diagnose anything. If you think child is ill they need to see GP. It is useful to be able to spot chicken pox- they are like water-filled blisters.

Thank moggy, Yep absolutely, would never try and diagnose myself :-)

mumofone
19-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Also try the Health Protection England guidance !

Fab, good call, thanks Simona :-)