PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating early writing into activities

mumofone
14-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have any ideas of how to ensure I am incorporating early writing into children's favourite activities to encourage reluctant writers, particularly boys, to find writing interesting?

watford wizz
14-07-2015, 10:06 PM
I have found post it's invaluable for encouraging early writing skills. I have a 3 year old who won't engage in any form of craft or writing. His passion is slugs and snails, so I gave him some post its and pen and asked him to be the slug/snail policeman and give "tickets" to all those critters who "park/eat" my plants. He had great fun.

greenfaerie
14-07-2015, 10:20 PM
I remember being advised to use sticks in sand to support early writing skills. Or maybe chalks outdoors on the pavement? Something novel and interesting for little ones. :)

Jiorjiina
14-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Colouring is good for pen control and grip. I have magnetic letters that children can stick on a board/fridge which can help them with the physical shape of letters. Ribbons on a stick for tracing them out using whole arm movements (or you can do it ant they can guess the letter you are making).

We've iced letters on to cupcakes before. We also did a thing where I had to be a robot and there was a 'secret code' (i.e. a letter) which they had to trace onto my hand to get me to move (long story, but great fun!).

Lal
15-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Anything which can be rubbed out- magna doddles, whiteboards, chalk, painting the fence with water etc. Sometimes the permanence of making a mark on paper can be off putting. Opportunities for writing in role play- drs, vets, invitiations to teddy bear picnics.

Our local primary school has installed a climbing frame with bars to hang from in the year R outside area so that all the muscles involved in writing can be strengthened

QualityCare
15-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Bucket of water, decorators brushes and a wooden fence great way to promote skills for writing, also set up a writing box pens pencils writing pad lined and unlined postcards envelopes stickers for stamps small hole punch small stapling machine sellotape scissors small bull dog clips paper clips luggage labels stamp and ink l brought most of mine from wilkinsons and staples all very cheap we have it in a shoe box all children love to explore and experiment l also printed some 'newspaper' pages off the internet for the children to make a paper, also set up an office corner this is different to the writing box