PDA

View Full Version : High chair safety and rules

mumofone
13-07-2015, 09:18 AM
I just wanted to get some clarification about this. I have a branded, very expensive high chair (relevant info, not a brag!!!) I use for my own child and a mindee which must conform to safety standards etc as its sold by leading manufacturers etc etc BUT it doesn't have a harness and my child does or can stand up in it. I feel it's safe to use on my child but would an inspector disagree? I really don't want to have to go out and buy another....

FussyElmo
13-07-2015, 09:43 AM
I just wanted to get some clarification about this. I have a branded, very expensive high chair (relevant info, not a brag!!!) I use for my own child and a mindee which must conform to safety standards etc as its sold by leading manufacturers etc etc BUT it doesn't have a harness and my child does or can stand up in it. I feel it's safe to use on my child but would an inspector disagree? I really don't want to have to go out and buy another....

Ok you have discovered a risk in using the high chair. Can you manage this risk. If no then I wouldn't say the high chair was safe to use.

For ecsmple another mindee needs your attention. You turn your back mindee in the high chair stands up fall off and hurts them self.

I personally wouldn't use it with a mindee but that's your call to make.

shortstuff
13-07-2015, 10:45 AM
how unusual for a highchair to not have a harness.

I completely agree with Fussy, it is about your assessment of any risks and how you handle them :thumbsup:

Lal
13-07-2015, 11:14 AM
You can buy reigns with an attachment for this. You fit two short ends on to the high chair then use he reigns as a harness. I've used them like this in a coach built pram and on highchairs like the one you describe. It may even have d-rings to fix the reigns to.

moggy
13-07-2015, 01:33 PM
I have a Stokke without harness. You can attach reins/harness. But personally, I RA per child- I feel, with a baby/toddler eating the biggest risk is choking rather than falling out of a highchair. If a child is choking I do not wan to be faffing with buckles to get them out. This high chair is actually rather hard to fall out of due to the style of T-bar at the front. So, I RA that for a child who is not prone to climbing out, and with my close supervision, it is OK not to use reins. I would be happy to explain that to an inspector. If I had a child who like to escape, I may RA it differently- or choose a different highchair/booster/seat for them.

mumofone
15-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts and advice. Should I write my RA or just know it in my head should an inspector ask? Thanks :-)

moggy
16-07-2015, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys for your thoughts and advice. Should I write my RA or just know it in my head should an inspector ask? Thanks :-)

Depends how good your memory is.
I have basics written but as RAs are so changable and child/time/situation dependent I do attempt to write everything down.

FussyElmo
16-07-2015, 06:46 AM
I write mine down so I don't have to think about remembering them all.

When they are written down you can just hand them over to be read not have to stand on the spot trying to remember what you thought :thumbsup: