PDA

View Full Version : Giving calpol

mumofone
12-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Can I just clarify the rules re administering something like calpol? I've got a medication administration permissions form for "regular" medicines (that includes calpol) that parents sign when starting with me but even if they agree to this do still need to get them to counter sign when I've administered it each time?

Tealady
12-07-2015, 05:59 PM
In a nut shell - Yes :thumbsup:

sarah707
12-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Yes - you also need some way of checking that it hasn't been given before you administer it - a phone call or text usually works :D

bunyip
13-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Also check how long they've been dosing the lo for.

Read the instruction sheet (the one which parents prefer to ignore). If the standard doses are not enough to provide relief or symptoms persist for more than 3 days, then a doctor or pharmacist must be consulted.

Typically, if mum mentions in passing that "s/he's had it over the weekend" that often means they've been dosing the child Friday-Monday so they are overdue for getting it checked out by a medical professional.

Too many people ignore that and use infant paracetamol formula as a pick-me-up to get them through a week or more. As an aside, I try to use the term "infant paracetamol formula" in preference to "Calpol" when talking with parents purely because it serves as a reminder that you're talking about a drug, not a tonic.

I have this in my policies and, in extremis, will point out to a parent they have to take the child to the doc's because the poor mite cannot book themselves in like you or I would if we feel awful for a week. :(

samb
13-07-2015, 02:14 PM
I find this really hard. I do give medicines parents have asked and have all the correct paperwork and only administer after a confirmation in writing (text will do). However I have a LO with a genetic condition and so parents say if in doubt about why she is unsettled etc give calpol as she is most likely in pain. A couple of times I have called for collection as I feel like we would be giving her calpol all the time otherwise and mum asks if we gave calpol. They don't want to be going to the dr all the time and even when they do they are often told calpol. She is leaving soon anyway but I have found it really hard as I don't naturally just give calpol as a just in case it's something. Also teething- how often do people give calpol for teething? I never did with my own children although I did use teething powders which relieved it. Some parents ask every session to give calpol for teething? Makes me feel like I should resort to only administering medication on prescription.

bunyip
13-07-2015, 07:35 PM
I find this really hard. I do give medicines parents have asked and have all the correct paperwork and only administer after a confirmation in writing (text will do). However I have a LO with a genetic condition and so parents say if in doubt about why she is unsettled etc give calpol as she is most likely in pain. A couple of times I have called for collection as I feel like we would be giving her calpol all the time otherwise and mum asks if we gave calpol. They don't want to be going to the dr all the time and even when they do they are often told calpol. She is leaving soon anyway but I have found it really hard as I don't naturally just give calpol as a just in case it's something. Also teething- how often do people give calpol for teething? I never did with my own children although I did use teething powders which relieved it. Some parents ask every session to give calpol for teething? Makes me feel like I should resort to only administering medication on prescription.

The numbers I've dealt with make this anecotal rather than a scientific sample, but I've found teething powders seem to just as effective if not more effective than Calpol.