PDA

View Full Version : Is this a wow moment?!

mumofone
12-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Is cutting a first tooth a worthy "wow" moment for a LJ or does it have to be related to one of the 7 areas of learning specifically? Sorry if I sound really dumb for asking this! Go easy... :-)

blue bear
12-07-2015, 04:00 PM
A wow moment is anything that makes you or parent go "wow". First tooth is definelty a wow. My Lj 's are full of lovely memories like first tooth, first wee on the toilet first bus trip as well as observations all nicely linked with next steps. They will be lovely to look back on for the child when it's 18:)

bunyip
12-07-2015, 04:32 PM
I'd put that down as a "Wow moment" for the parents............

.................and an "Ow moment" for the poor little one. :(

mumofone
15-07-2015, 08:42 PM
What about their 1st birthday? Could this go down as a "wow"?

FussyElmo
16-07-2015, 06:39 AM

Why is it a wow moment?

Arr sweet moment not sure about wow as everyone gets one.

Walking, waving, clapping hands, putting their own coat on all wow moments.

FussyElmo
16-07-2015, 06:41 AM

That's not to say you can't put these dates/photos etc in the lj. I always put a photo in celebrating the day

blue bear
16-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I don't use the label wow as such I just add whatever I feel is appropriate,celebration memories of their first birthday is Definelty appropriate

Simona
17-07-2015, 08:54 AM

You made me think about why we call the document we do for children 'Learning Journey'...that implies their journey about Learning and Development leading to achievements.

but what about other important things that happen in their journey...such as a 1st tooth or celebrating their birthday....somehow these can be slotted somewhere in the EYFS but I personally see them differently than being just Physical Development

Like others have said I would record these events in the child's LJ...maybe the document's name could do with a rethink? ...I never learnt why it was called LJ in the 1st place

greenfaerie
17-07-2015, 09:43 AM
I like to think of the LJ as a scrapbook. Yes it's a wonderful way of showing a child's progress and their learning and development, but it's also a beautiful collection of memories, photos, pieces of art and fun times. I don't think anyone, parents or Ofsted, would object to having some lovely moments added to the LJs, even if they weren't linked to a specific area of learning. :) (Or at least, I hope not!)

FussyElmo
17-07-2015, 11:59 AM
I like to think of the LJ as a scrapbook. Yes it's a wonderful way of showing a child's progress and their learning and development, but it's also a beautiful collection of memories, photos, pieces of art and fun times. I don't think anyone, parents or Ofsted, would object to having some lovely moments added to the LJs, even if they weren't linked to a specific area of learning. :) (Or at least, I hope not!)

But don't you think learning journal sounds better than scrapbook?

I had lots to mine as I said I would definitely add the photo of the day being celebrated :thumbsup:

greenfaerie
17-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Oh yes, I certainly prefer the term "Learning Journey" over Scrapbook. :D But I do like how scrapbooks look, makes it feel more like a collaboration of varied memories and experiences, rather than a sterile file. This is one of the reasons why I like using a paper system, I love actually having the things to flip through. :)