PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have 2 babies?!

Lisa77
10-07-2015, 06:27 AM
I'm just starting childminding and have a 8 month old daughter. I've noticed an advert for a 9 month old boy needing a childminder 2/3 unset days a week (the mum works shifts and has her hours given every few weeks) so I think she may struggle to find a childminder for this.
I'm contemplating whether to message her and contact Ofsted to see if I could have 2 babies, I only want 1/2 children a day anyway and have all the baby facilities and I'd Be teaching my own daughter at that level anyway.
Do you think it would be too much or defiantly doable? I feel I could do it, but wanted to get your opinions first if you've had any experience with two?
Thank you!

mumofone
10-07-2015, 06:30 AM
I'm just starting childminding and have a 8 month old daughter. I've noticed an advert for a 9 month old boy needing a childminder 2/3 unset days a week (the mum works shifts and has her hours given every few weeks) so I think she may struggle to find a childminder for this. I'm contemplating whether to message her and contact Ofsted to see if I could have 2 babies, I only want 1/2 children a day anyway and have all the baby facilities and I'd Be teaching my own daughter at that level anyway. Do you think it would be too much or defiantly doable? I feel I could do it, but wanted to get your opinions first if you've had any experience with two? Thank you!

I have similar ages my own and another mindee and am considering giving the baby up as it can be too much at times but lots of you are a lot more experienced than me so I can imagine some people would find it fine.

mrsb79
10-07-2015, 06:43 AM
I have had 2 under one born 3 wks apart, however mum had exhausted all other avenues as her requirements where for a term time only space 8-5 one week and 11-5 the next with Thursday's off but in effect requiring a full time space. Mum had contacted me first and I told her to try a number of other minders first and if she had no luck that I would then contact Ofsted for advice. After 3 weeks of her desperately trying she called me back I knew I was competent in caring for 2 under 1 so I rang Ofsted ( as much use a chocolate tea pot ) who would only say it was up to me how I interpreted the EYFS so I told them that I set up to offer flexible affordable childcare and that I would be offering mum a space and should they have any concerns to come out and see me!! They didn't and I'm still minding her now nearly a year later 😊 I must stress that it was the parent contacting me though I never chased her for the work x

AliceK
10-07-2015, 06:58 AM
I had 2 x 10 month olds not too long ago as both mums had babies around the same time and their older siblings were already with me and both mums went back to work around the same time. It is hard work, you need to be organised but it was fine. They are both now 20mths old and it's equally hard work lol.

xx

Lisa77
10-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Thanks for that. I might think it over again. Or see if she gets in touch with me. It's a tough one! I can imagine it's quite intense at times! I'll weigh it up today x

natlou82
10-07-2015, 11:16 AM
I look after 2 little ones who's birthdays are 8 weeks apart. I didn't have then at the same time when they were both under 1. But as soon as the eldest turned 1 I had them together and it's worked out really well for me (they are now 19/21 months) and forming a lovely relationship. I would say go for it :-) (providing you are happy with ratio scenario) :-)

TinyTinker
10-07-2015, 11:42 AM
I had 7.5 month old twins once :) it was great and I loved it :) my own daughter was 18 months at the time too. :) I had the highchairs that clip on the table for them and I have a triple pushchair (which is a double mountain buggy with a toddler seat on the front, similar design to the seats that go on the back of a bike).

Oh and I had my first inspection with them here and Ofsted were impressed how the babies were very comfortable with me.

loocyloo
10-07-2015, 02:39 PM
I have nannied and child minded serveral sets of baby twins and as such, used to have a permanent 'exception' on my registration certificate to allow me to care for 2 under 1. When dd was born, I then cared for another baby of a similar age full time.
So in theory I would say I could/would do it ... BUT it was very difficult having 2 babies who weren't related. Dd was very relaxed and didn't fuss much. Baby I minded screamed, couldn't be put down and was very hard work! I felt dd was really missing out as other babe got all my attention.
Twins are used to having to share from the word go!
I've currently got a trio of boys aged 20-27 mths that I've had since the youngest was 9mths and it was hard but is now great fun. I've also got another trio of 2x 15mth and 1x 20mth! This is harder work than the first trio, but I am getting there!
Personally, having another babe as well as my own ( at the same age ) isn't something I would do again! Older or younger are fine! I had 2 other 18mth olds when ds was that age and that was great!
Sorry .. waffled a bit!

mummyMia
11-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Personally I wouldn't do it because the regulations for having two babies are too vague and open to interpretation. Ofsted are unlikely to give you a firm yes or a no and will probably just refer you back to the EYFS. If it was a child that you had been looking after before you had your own baby it would most likely be fine, but you are talking about new business. You could very well get an inspector who doesn't approve.

I've got a 6 month old of my own and just recently returned to work after maternity leave. It's been an absolute nightmare filling my spaces because virtually all the enquiries are for babies under 12 months. I think I could cope just fine with two babies but don't want to take the risk with Ofsted so have turned them all down. It's taken some time but I've finally found a few older children and will be full again come September.:)

Rick
11-07-2015, 05:40 PM
The EYFS states maximum one under one. You can only have two under ones if an existing mindee comes back after your maternity leave, not for new business.

More info here Looking after 2 children under 1 (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/looking-after-2-children-under-1.html)

mumofone
12-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Yes I must clarify with the two babies I have it was only once my own was over one..

KatieFS
13-07-2015, 12:17 PM
I minded twins 6 months old. Fun but hard work as had 3 yo as well.
It would have been a breeze just to have had them
You must be well organised as feeding time nappy changes can get hectic
Not sure if the requirements allow your scenario though? I thought was only ok if one was your own or twins?

Lisa77
13-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks everyone. I've decided to hold off on the other baby anyway now as I think it's important to put the time into my own at the minute. I'll wait for older mindees as ratios allow x