PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED latest statistics...good and bad news

Simona
09-07-2015, 12:37 PM
CMs are continuing to get Outstanding and Good grades...good news
Our declining numbers is a real worry...down to 47,000+...so sad and so much less choice for parents.

Ofsted figures show rise in good and outstanding grades | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1152475/ofsted-figures-show-rise-in-good-and-outstanding-grades?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Jayse74
12-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Saw this the other day! Was a bit shocked about how many have left the profession. Always wonder why and what circumstances made people give up.

The latest Budget could well push more to leave! Even less choice.

Simona
13-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Saw this the other day! Was a bit shocked about how many have left the profession. Always wonder why and what circumstances made people give up.

The latest Budget could well push more to leave! Even less choice.

Yes I agree with you...the Budget and lots more dubious policies could prove too much for cms.

I understand that when cms hand their notice they are not asked for the reason they are deregistering...is that true, does anyone know?....although even if a reson is not equired a letter could follow.

Simona
13-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Ofsted have published their Press release on the EY statistics

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/early-education-is-better-than-ever-but-attainment-gap-remains

Simona
13-07-2015, 02:19 PM
And this is Wilshaw's speech

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/early-years-report-2015

vals
16-07-2015, 10:47 PM
In my area a lot of us are feeling very demoralised, even more than usual. Lots of us are being inspected, all by the same person, and she doesn't give childminders outstanding. She even said when asked what to do to improve, to go and visit an outstanding nursery. As is often said, the feedback is not helpful. In once case the minder was told she needed to improve her parent communications etc - well this minder does more than anyone else I know, including regular reviews in the evenings at the parents home -not something I have ever done.
It feels like nothing is ever good enough, the constant moans about being too expensive - when we are cheaper than most nurseries, the lack of support, the lack of funding for the 15 hours etc. People get to the stage when enough is enough sadly.
My local mp told me to charge a top up for the funding! When I said no its meant to be free, he said well thats how the nurseries get round it!

Simona
17-07-2015, 08:36 AM
In my area a lot of us are feeling very demoralised, even more than usual. Lots of us are being inspected, all by the same person, and she doesn't give childminders outstanding. She even said when asked what to do to improve, to go and visit an outstanding nursery. As is often said, the feedback is not helpful. In once case the minder was told she needed to improve her parent communications etc - well this minder does more than anyone else I know, including regular reviews in the evenings at the parents home -not something I have ever done.
It feels like nothing is ever good enough, the constant moans about being too expensive - when we are cheaper than most nurseries, the lack of support, the lack of funding for the 15 hours etc. People get to the stage when enough is enough sadly.
My local mp told me to charge a top up for the funding! When I said no its meant to be free, he said well thats how the nurseries get round it!

At the London OBC in June the Ofsted panel mentioned the issue about inspectors not giving outstanding...they said it was 'not possible'...a chorus came up from the attendees saying 'yes it does happen'...they looked a bit stunned.

If you and your colleagues are serious about this ...get together and take action.
As you know Ofsted now train Tribal and prospects inspectors directly....so we need to hope they will do better because so far the subcontracted inspectors have not been up to scratch...the odd one of two were ok.

If you do not want to take action try to attend the Ofsted Big Conversation close to you ...there are 7 all over the country...each area has a CM representative.
Also report it to your association...do you belong to one?
try to speak to your LA...they can advise you

As for topping up...the MP is actually correct....the govt has acknowledged that providers have survived only because the have made parents pay more ...not for the 15 hours but for the rest of the care....it is either that or so many would have closed by now.
Nurseries have admitted that.
As for constantly talking about 'nurseries'...yes it grates does it not as the govt seems to forget there are Cms too.

I know exactly what you mean by 'it feels like nothing is ever good'...but CMs are doing well and Ofsted have said that in their recent report
We even got a small mention by that awful man Wilshaw...last year he criticised CMs ...this year he had to acknowledge our achievements....shame he did not apologise for the huge numbers of cms he has contributed and driven out of the sector with his stupid policies.

Good luck...get help and do something.
If you hear anything and want to DM me ...tell me your concerns and I will take them to meetings (in confidence of course)