PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping babies

mumofone
09-07-2015, 12:21 PM
I know they say that sleeping babies should be checked frequently, I have a video camera/monitor I use for watching a baby sleep in my cot. Is this considered ok? Also how do I PROVE to OFSTED that I regularly check a sleeping baby (I do!) would the fact that I have them in my laptop screen be enough? Hope this makes sense!

moggy
09-07-2015, 12:30 PM
You do not have to 'prove' it to Ofsted. Just as you do not have to 'prove' that you wash your hands before cooking, or that you hold the children's hands when you cross the road, or that you use a harness on the baby in the buggy... you have your way of working which follows the EYFS and probably goes beyond the minimum requirements.

A nursery may choose to record checking of babies because they have staff to monitor and managers need to know what staff have or have not done. We are not a nursery and we know ourselves how and when we need to check a baby. We can explain that, if asked, to an inspector. But, to be honest, unless a concern has been raised about that particular area I don't think it is a top priority for inspectors.

I do not have a video monitor. The fact that the EYFS just says 'frequently' or whatever, means they don't want to specify it any more specifically, they are leaving it up to professionals to make their own judgements and those judgement will depend on the child/house layout/sleeping arrangements/monitors etc.

mummyMia
11-07-2015, 02:48 PM
I've had two inspections now and both times they have been more interested in observing my practice on the day rather than seeing written evidence (which can easily be faked). So for example, they have followed the mindees into the bathroom to watch them wash their hands before lunch, but haven't asked for proof that they wash their hands every day, if that makes sense. So if you need to put a child down for a nap while the inspector is there then have the monitor/laptop out for them to see. If you don't have any napping during the inspection you most likely won't get asked about it. If they do ask, just say you use a monitor. :)