PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted iNspection - Can i refuse a certain inspector?

JCrakers
07-07-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm due my inspection.
The childminder down the road was inspected by someone who owns a local Preschool which isn't up to Ofsted standards (My friend works there)

When I get the call and if her name comes up am I entitled to ask for another inspector? I don't know how she can be allowed to inspect on her own turf and if she's an inspector don't you think her own Preschool should be Outstanding?

I find it all a bit strange but don't want her round here inspecting me.

Mouse
07-07-2015, 01:19 PM
As far as I know you can't refuse a certain inspector, although there are reasons why they can't inspect you.

Do you know the inspector personally?

I believe that's grounds for them not being allowed to inspect you, so if they phone you and her name is mentioned I would say that you know her so don't think she'll be able to inspect you.

It is a bit strange that she inspects in her own area. When my friend was an inspector she used to travel to a neighbouring county.

JCrakers
07-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I don't know her personally but I know she owns the Preschool that I drop off at 5mins down the road.

Googling her she used to do the next county but in Jan 2015 she inspected the childminder two streets down from me.

moggy
07-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Would it help to talk to Ofsted now, rather than waiting for the call?

If you start arguing it when you have had the call it could easily look like you are trying to dodge/delay the inspection which is a big no-no. But, if you raise it now- with evidence like a copy of the CMs Jan 15 report and a copy of something with the inspector's name as owner of the pre-school (website? pre-school prospectus? the Ofsted report of the pre-school might name the owner?). Put it in writing to Ofsted (cc Dept of Ed?) and ask for a reply in writing, explain your concerns.

That way it separates it from your own inspection, you don't want that to get messy with these discussions.

Simona
07-07-2015, 06:18 PM
I'm due my inspection.
The childminder down the road was inspected by someone who owns a local Preschool which isn't up to Ofsted standards (My friend works there)

When I get the call and if her name comes up am I entitled to ask for another inspector? I don't know how she can be allowed to inspect on her own turf and if she's an inspector don't you think her own Preschool should be Outstanding?

I find it all a bit strange but don't want her round here inspecting me.

Ofsted are encouraging 'serving leaders' ...that is teachers and providers....to join the inspection workforce.
I am sure that this issue will arise at their training...if you are concerned ring Ofsted
The leader you are referring to owns a preschool and will probably not be allowed to inspect her own setting...just check

Read the letter from HMCI published today to all schools and it is there under Changes to the inspection workforce...it refers to schools but, as it also refers to the CIF, it includes EY.
It was also highlighted in the Ofsted presentation when launching the CIF

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/442910/Letter_to_schools_from_HMCI_July_2015.pdf

JCrakers
07-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Ofsted are encouraging 'serving leaders' ...that is teachers and providers....to join the inspection workforce.
I am sure that this issue will arise at their training...if you are concerned ring Ofsted
The leader you are referring to owns a preschool and will probably not be allowed to inspect her own setting...just check

Read the letter from HMCI published today to all schools and it is there under Changes to the inspection workforce...it refers to schools but, as it also refers to the CIF, it includes EY.
It was also highlighted in the Ofsted presentation when launching the CIF

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/442910/Letter_to_schools_from_HMCI_July_2015.pdf

Im sure she is a serving leader but if her own establishment has many faults how can she come round here and pick through mine? Surely she should practise what she preaches and being an inspector her own Preschool should be outstanding as she knows what she's looking for..

miffy
07-07-2015, 08:43 PM
If it were me I wouldn't be happy with the situation either.

There is surely a conflict of interest if the inspector owns a neighbouring business - you are both competing for business in the area.

It could be argued that it might be in the interest of that inspector (business wise) to "mark down" your grading.

I'm not sure I'd do anything now - it might not happen - but I would raise it if that inspector contacted me to carry out my inspection.

Miffy xx

FussyElmo
07-07-2015, 08:48 PM
We have an ofsted inspector on our early years team - she is not allowed to inspect anyone in our la as its a conflict of interest :thumbsup:

Simona
08-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Im sure she is a serving leader but if her own establishment has many faults how can she come round here and pick through mine? Surely she should practise what she preaches and being an inspector her own Preschool should be outstanding as she knows what she's looking for..

First of all she would not have been the inspector judging her own setting? that would be biased and totally unfair
Often inspectors own a setting but never work there...I do know of one example

We did discuss this topic at London OBC...I still think if you are concerned you should call Ofsted but I am unclear what the problem is....do you think this inspector is biased? or would be unfair against you? was she unfair against the cm she inspected?

My view is that unless there is a connection between an inspector and other settings it would be hard to ask to not have that particular person.
If I had a problem I would certainly call Ofsted and ask about their Code of Practice
Yes there could be a conflict of interest...it would be Ofsted, Tribal or Prospects who will set those rules and decide about this not the LA but you need to check for yourself...all you will get here is different opinions
Good luck!

PS: Just to be sure you are talking about Tribal/Prospects inspectors? ...who are now referred to as ISP ...not HMI which are Ofsted ones?

JCrakers
08-07-2015, 10:31 AM
First of all she would not have been the inspector judging her own setting? that would be biased and totally unfair
Often inspectors own a setting but never work there...I do know of one example

We did discuss this topic at London OBC...I still think if you are concerned you should call Ofsted but I am unclear what the problem is....do you think this inspector is biased? or would be unfair against you? was she unfair against the cm she inspected?

My view is that unless there is a connection between an inspector and other settings it would be hard to ask to not have that particular person.
If I had a problem I would certainly call Ofsted and ask about their Code of Practice
Yes there could be a conflict of interest...it would be Ofsted, Tribal or Prospects who will set those rules and decide about this not the LA but you need to check for yourself...all you will get here is different opinions
Good luck!

PS: Just to be sure you are talking about Tribal/Prospects inspectors? ...who are now referred to as ISP ...not HMI which are Ofsted ones?

Firstly I know she didn't inspect her own setting.

I do think she could be biased. I live on her doorstep and take the same children. I offer FEEE and have had a couple of parents choose me over the preschool so we are after the same children.
Also If I was an Inspector and knew what I needed to do to make my own Preschool Outstanding why would I choose not to?

I'm not ringing Ofsted now, I was just curious that when the call comes and the slight chance her name comes up can I opt to not have her?

:D

hectors house
08-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Firstly I know she didn't inspect her own setting.

I do think she could be biased. I live on her doorstep and take the same children. I offer FEEE and have had a couple of parents choose me over the preschool so we are after the same children.
Also If I was an Inspector and knew what I needed to do to make my own Preschool Outstanding why would I choose not to?

I'm not ringing Ofsted now, I was just curious that when the call comes and the slight chance her name comes up can I opt to not have her?

:D

In my area we don't get a call from Prospects or Tribal first, the inspector themselves phones us.

Simona
08-07-2015, 11:25 AM
In my area we don't get a call from Prospects or Tribal first, the inspector themselves phones us.

It is the 'inspector' who calls as clearly stated in the current inspection handbook May 2015 'Notification for Inspection' on page 5
This remains effective until Sept 2015
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inspecting-early-years-handbook-for-inspectors

From Sept 2015 it is again the inspector who will call...new Handbook on page 9.
That is when the inspector will give her name which CMs can confirm with Tribal or Prospects...not Ofsted as we are not inspected by HMI...the identity can also be verified when the inspector arrives for the inspection
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-years-inspection-handbook-from-september-2015

All this was covered at London OBC and I was there to hear it first hand.

JCrackers...I totally see your point but you cannot say 'she could be biased' based on the childcare market because you share care or take her children?
This will be so much more widely shared when the 30 hours kicks in.

I do know that Ofsted have made huge mistakes in the past but I am not sure they would allow this type of bias?
Also those inspectors who own a setting do not regularly work there as they are free lance inspectors...they will have a nominated manager who leads practice and management and also has to account for the setting's standards.

Being an inspector does not necessarily mean your own setting is outstanding?

shortstuff
08-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Being an inspector does not necessarily mean your own setting is outstanding?

Im sorry if i am being silly Simona but surely if this individual is an inspector they should run an outstanding setting? They are aware of the criteria and what is required so should perfect their own setting before critiquing others?

edited to correct a spelling error

Simona
08-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Im sorry if i am being silly Simona but surely if this individual is an inspector they should run an outstanding setting? They are aware of the criteria and what is required so should perfect their own setting before critiquing others?

edited to correct a spelling error

As I questioned being an inspector does not necessarily mean your 'managed' setting gets an outstanding?
That will be graded by another inspector who inspects that setting and how the team show their practice?

I do know of a setting owned by an inspector but it is 'Good'

JCrakers
08-07-2015, 11:53 AM
I think what I'm trying to get across and shortstuff seems to understand.

If I was an Inspector as well as a childminder I would know the criteria so well that I would be running my own business to an Outstanding level. I would use my knowledge as an inspector and putting it into my own business so the children are benefitting as much as they can.

If I knew what needed to be done but didn't bother doing it in my own setting then that sounds like I wouldn't be 'practising what I was preaching'.

This Preschool has many faults as my friend works there and she tells me the 'horror stories'

shortstuff
08-07-2015, 12:04 PM

If I was an Inspector as well as a childminder I would know the criteria so well that I would be running my own business to an Outstanding level. I would use my knowledge as an inspector and putting it into my own business so the children are benefitting as much as they can.

If I knew what needed to be done but didn't bother doing it in my own setting then that sounds like I wouldn't be 'practising what I was preaching'.

This Preschool has many faults as my friend works there and she tells me the 'horror stories'

I completely agree JCrackers. It makes this individual sound very much like they have double standards. Do what i say and not what i do?

Simona
08-07-2015, 12:10 PM

I actually understand what you are saying but on the day of inspection you could have best practice in place and then...something goes wrong....something does not tick all the boxes.
Inspectors do not really...in my opinion....preach...they judge on evidence?
They work from a very tight sets of tick boxes

I could mention many more examples but this is a public forum...your friend works in that setting and she Tells you horror stories...again they have to be evidenced and on judgement day everything may run smoothly

You could try to look at the Inspectors Code of Practice to reassure yourself about double standards which has now been mentioned?

JCrakers
08-07-2015, 12:28 PM
I actually understand what you are saying but on the day of inspection you could have best practice in place and then...something goes wrong....something does not tick all the boxes.
Inspectors do not really...in my opinion....preach...they judge on evidence?
They work from a very tight sets of tick boxes

I could mention many more examples but this is a public forum...your friend works in that setting and she Tells you horror stories...again they have to be evidenced and on judgement day everything may run smoothly

You could try to look at the Inspectors Code of Practice to reassure yourself about double standards which has now been mentioned?

Which shows that Ofsted inspections can be a waste of time :thumbsup::D You could have the best setting in the world but on that one day...that 3-4 hr period... it could all go wrong..then your stuck with that report for 3-6yrs.

Simona
08-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Which shows that Ofsted inspections can be a waste of time :thumbsup::D You could have the best setting in the world but on that one day...that 3-4 hr period... it could all go wrong..then your stuck with that report for 3-6yrs.

That has always been a problem...however...while the complaints procedure against Ofsted inspections was fraught and demorilising and unsuccessful...it has now been reviewed.
Each Ofsted region will have a 'high level' scrutiny committee of senior HMI and leader who are not involved in carrying out inspections.
For this information see the letter by Wilshaw published a few days ago.

Are inspections a waste of time?...it would take reams and reams to discuss that....I am no lover of Ofsted and never fail to raise my objections to their face.