PDA

View Full Version : Umbrellas

AliceK
07-07-2015, 10:04 AM
So, what are your thoughts on young children (toddlers) with umbrellas. Please tell me I am not the only miserable old bag who hates toddlers walking with them. I'm talking about 2 / 3 yr olds.

xx

Maza
07-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Oooh, this should be an interesting thread! I have mixed thoughts. Kids love them and I don't mind if we are going out for a little walk around the block - the type of walk where you are literally just out for a walk to 'see what we can see' as I call them - you know, where you have no time constraints and it doesn't matter how far you get etc. If you are on the school run or something they can be annoying and even dangerous because the kids get distracted. You also take up half the pavement, whack each other on the head, they slow you down so you are actually out in the rain for longer etc. There's a time and a place I think...

AliceK
07-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Oooh, this should be an interesting thread! I have mixed thoughts. Kids love them and I don't mind if we are going out for a little walk around the block - the type of walk where you are literally just out for a walk to 'see what we can see' as I call them - you know, where you have no time constraints and it doesn't matter how far you get etc. If you are on the school run or something they can be annoying and even dangerous because the kids get distracted. You also take up half the pavement, whack each other on the head, they slow you down so you are actually out in the rain for longer etc. There's a time and a place I think...

My thoughts exactly.
If we are out on a walk to the park, lake etc then fine. BUT, when I am doing a school run with a double buggy, and 2 toddlers, one of whom is a terrible walker, always falling over fresh air and this one wants to hold his umbrella, no no no no. So I have told him no he is not taking it , we will all use our hoods if it rains, he is not happy but I really can't be doing with it, for safety reasons.

xxx

watford wizz
07-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Same here x

shortstuff
07-07-2015, 10:29 AM
im also the same. There is a time and place for everything and a school run is not the place for childrens umbrellas.

I also dont mind if it is one or two children but forget it on a wednesday after school as I have 12 children to get home (with a helper)

Jiorjiina
07-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Same here, time and a place, etc.

On the one hand, kids love them and I think they can be useful for helping kids to develop co ordination and spatial awareness (i.e. keeping the ****** things upright, folding them away, etc), on the other hand, if we're going anywhere with a lot of people then they're more harm than they're worth!

AliceK
07-07-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm glad it isn't just me then lol. I will have 7 children to walk home after school today and no-one will be using an umbrella, especially not a 2yr old.
If he were the only LO I had then I wouldn't mind but not today I'm afraid.

xxx

mumofone
07-07-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm glad it isn't just me then lol. I will have 7 children to walk home after school today and no-one will be using an umbrella, especially not a 2yr old. If he were the only LO I had then I wouldn't mind but not today I'm afraid. xxx

7 children? Oh my god how Dyou manage that?!! I'm in awe!! :-)

natlou82
07-07-2015, 11:40 AM
I agree with everyone else if it was a short walk with 1/2 children fine, but on the school run NO, NO, NO!!!

hectors house
07-07-2015, 11:47 AM
If I'm pushing a buggy and therefore can't have an umbrella then no one else is allowed either - one wet, all wet here!:)