PDA

View Full Version : New to childminding

CarlyB
05-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Hi all: This is my first post eek! I'm currently doing my CYPOP and hope to be registered by sept. I've seen a few posts from prospective parents asking for childminders. My question is can I tell them when I plan to start to get my name out there or is it pointless until my registration is back? I've heard there can be a long wait for ofsted. :-) x

sarah707
05-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Welcome! :clapping:

It can take months for the DBS, doctor's check, Ofsted suitability letters for family, Ofsted visit etc so I'd advise you to hold your horses a bit :D

CarlyB
05-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Lol thought so I'm just really keen to get started. CRB is in the final stages so should get that soon hopefully :-) I'll wait til I'm registered then before I advertise. Thank you x

moggy
05-07-2015, 05:15 PM
You could contact them and let you knnow your position- just be homnest and do not promise anything yet! You can keep it vague by saying you 'hope to be registered in the Autumn'. If anyone is looking for a childminder Oct+ they may like to have a chat now and then get in touch nearer the time. No harm in getting the word out that your are in the process, often people start looking many months in advance to just get an idea of the options.

CarlyB
05-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks Moggy, I would hate to let anyone down if my registration didn't come back in time for them needing to start. I don't know whether to get my name out there now as like you said people look months in advance or just wait till I'm all ready them Bam! Hit everywhere with my business cards and advertising lol! What did you do? X

moggy
05-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Thanks Moggy, I would hate to let anyone down if my registration didn't come back in time for them needing to start. I don't know whether to get my name out there now as like you said people look months in advance or just wait till I'm all ready them Bam! Hit everywhere with my business cards and advertising lol! What did you do? X

I put word about while I was registering, put up posters etc . It is common to do so and if you are lucky you can have mindees ready to sign contracts once you have your certificate. It can take ages to get your first client so I can't see why not start publicising- just do not promise any particular date, but you know that anyway.

CarlyB
05-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Yeah you're right I'd really like to get some children lined up ready for when my certificates back. Thanks for your advice :-) x

Little Dots
08-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Im currently in the process of registering my dbs came back this week whilst on holiday so applying to ofsted this week as done all my courses. I replied to a few people asking about childcare for september, one lady has been to see me and 2 other already established childminders in the area and has chosen me as her provider, from the start I have said I hope to be ready by september but can not be 100% sure and all i can do is keep her informed, she has chosen another childminder to cover in my abscence until i am registered. So sometimes it does work...and the best thing i only have 1 place as i have 2 EYFS children of my own so will be earning full potential from the get go! So id say contact therm, let them know your position, ask them to come meet you...they may just chose you! x