PDA

View Full Version : Radio

mumofone
03-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Just wondered if anyone has the radio on in the background whilst they're working? I think it's not recommended if you have babies but what about for slightly older children? Or would you say it's a big no no?

natlou82
03-07-2015, 04:15 PM
I do regularly for my own sanity! I've always liked background music on when I'm at home and don't see a problem. I have plenty of times where I may put on nursery rhyme CDs etc and quiet times with no music when we are playing. I spend most mornings out of the house also. This works for me and I often see children having a bop or practicing a new dance routine.

mumofone
03-07-2015, 04:16 PM
I do regularly for my own sanity! I've always liked background music on when I'm at home and don't see a problem. I have plenty of times where I may put on nursery rhyme CDs etc and quiet times with no music when we are playing. I spend most mornings out of the house also. This works for me and I often see children having a bop or practicing a new dance routine.

Haha I was going to use that exact phrase "for my own sanity!" :-)

kellib
03-07-2015, 04:49 PM
We have the radio on all day here, it's great to hear the kids absentmindedly singing along lol!

bunyip
03-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Apparently it's a definite no-no according to EY 'Professional' Experts.

Reason: it hinders development of communication and language skills because children are to stupid to be able to filter out "background noise."

One of my newest clients commented how lovely it is that we frequently have classic music on (Radio 3/Classic FM) occasionally giving way to something on Radio 4 and, of course, Test Match Special holds precedence over all.

But then, what would my client know? After all, she's just a speech and language therapist. :rolleyes:

FussyElmo
03-07-2015, 05:42 PM
A lot of speech and language people discourage from having constant background music/tv on.

I think everything has its time and place.

Says the woman who used to have a radio on in every room and have it switched on I now only put it on for a music time session or if Im cooking tea :thumbsup:

Simona
04-07-2015, 09:00 AM
I suppose it depends on what type of music and the volume and how often it is on for?
I have worked in settings...not mine... where the music was so loud you could not even think let alone interact with other staff!

bunyip
07-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Going back about a year, one of my mums commented one morning that her DD had really enjoyed my Janacek the previous day. She then asked, "I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is a Janacek and where did you get yours?" :rolleyes: