PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted in the area...now im feeling ill lol

JCrakers
02-07-2015, 01:37 PM
There's a childminder down the road who's just had the call. She was inspected 3 months before me 3yrs ago so now I've got a funny feeling in my stomach :panic::panic::panic:

Every time the phone rings I shall jump out of my skin....Ive been through 2 inspections but it doesn't get any better does it :(

Mouse
02-07-2015, 01:49 PM
I think they've forgotten me!

I've looked at the dates on inspection reports for all the childminders close to me and apart from one they've all been inspected in 2014 or 2015. There's one who hasn't been inspected since 2010 and me who hasn't been inspected since 2009. Everyone else has had an inspection in the last 18 months or so.

A friend who was inspected just before me was redone 8 months ago, so I thought I'd be pretty soon after that but haven't heard anything. I've updated my SEF, emailed Ofsted for various things - anything to bring attention to myself and shout out "hello, I'm still here waiting!"

I was hoping I'd be inspected before now as I have 3 children leaving for school. They've been with me for 3 or 4 years so I have a lot of evidence of their development etc. If Ofsted don't come before they leave I will be back to new starters with very little evidence.

Having said that, I still feel sick every time the phone rings! We never use the house phone so when it rings I know there's a good chance it's either someone selling me something or Ofsted!

Pixie dust
02-07-2015, 07:28 PM
I think they've forgotten me!

I've looked at the dates on inspection reports for all the childminders close to me and apart from one they've all been inspected in 2014 or 2015. There's one who hasn't been inspected since 2010 and me who hasn't been inspected since 2009. Everyone else has had an inspection in the last 18 months or so.

I was last inspected Feb 2010 and I had a call 2 weeks ago to check my details/holiday dates planned for the summer as they want to carry out my inspection during the summer holidays...I just have to wait for the inspector to call.

amanda1309
03-07-2015, 12:24 PM
I was last inspected dec 2009. Mrs O is coming Wednesday or Thursday next week.
I'm ready and waiting for her I want it out the way before the summer holidays.

Rubybubbles
03-07-2015, 12:37 PM
I remember the feeling! I was inspected in Nov 2008, and then again just now April 15! When I got the call I turned to mush - even though I have been waiting......

teacake2
03-07-2015, 02:32 PM
I have had the phone call this week, she is coming Mon, Tues or Friday next week, I have looked at some she has done recently and she looks like a right monster, one minder who I have known for years and who actually looks after the children of our local DO and who went through everything with her, has been down graded to requiring improvement, so what does that say for our DO, for not knowing where her children are at development wise, also another minder, who I do not know, who was graded outstanding last time has been downgraded to requiring improvement for the same reasons, I am absolutely dreading it, I only have one 3 year old who does not like strangers coming, he is going through the most horrendous stage of arguing, not wanting to do anything and shouting at everyone who asks him anything. If you ask him anything his normal reply is I don't know and I don't care so leave me alone. I think I am going to get the lowest grading and probably be closed down by her!!!. I am finishing this time next year so I am not really bothered what grade I get, although it would be nice if I kept my good grading and then I wouldn't have to bother with another inspection, but if I get any less I might just finish sooner.
Just hope the weather is kind next week and we can get outside easier, do you think she will come with us to take the dogs out as that is what we usually do first thing in the morning, then she will have to come and feed the birds with us, and do our gardening checks, we can make that last a couple of hours, so then just time for her to have a quick look at the paper work and then go, don't somehow think it will work out like that though, I am never that lucky. Good luck everyone who has an inspection soon, we will have to compare notes.
Teacake2

Ripeberry
03-07-2015, 04:11 PM
I only have two weeks left and four sessions! What's the bet that I get the call? I have a plan for the last week, I'll pretend that I'm shut and ill :cool: BUT if she rings in the next few days I have no way of delaying it. I've been letting things slide (a lot) and I don't really care about the grading, just don't want Ofsted in my house! :(

mumofone
03-07-2015, 04:15 PM
I only have two weeks left and four sessions! What's the bet that I get the call? I have a plan for the last week, I'll pretend that I'm shut and ill :cool: BUT if she rings in the next few days I have no way of delaying it. I've been letting things slide (a lot) and I don't really care about the grading, just don't want Ofsted in my house! :(

Gosh that would be bad luck if you did, I thin you'll escape :-)

mumofone
03-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Gosh that would be bad luck if you did, I thin you'll escape :-)

Think not thin!

JCrakers
03-07-2015, 06:25 PM
I really don't get the way that they do things.
Since starting in Sept 2007 I had my first inspection Aug 2008 (11months later) and I received a good. Then the next one was March2012 (3yrs7m between inspections) and I received another good.
But the childminder down the road received a Satisfactory and then went over 5yrs until her next inspection where she received a requires improvement. No one came back within 5yrs even though she had quite a few things to improve on. She still hadn't been doing her paperwork right and 5 whole years had passed. Think of all the children over 5yrs who had slipped through not having a LJ or any sort of learning tracking.

I'm hoping it's after the summer as I'm not doing my normal hours throughout August.

miffy
03-07-2015, 07:47 PM

I wouldn't answer the phone for the next two weeks! :D

Miffy xx

loocyloo
03-07-2015, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't answer the phone for the next two weeks! :D

Miffy xx

Neither would I! In fact ... I rarely answer the phone anyway!

mumofone
03-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Neither would I! In fact ... I rarely answer the phone anyway!

Lol I was wondering this....I'm rubbish at answering the phone, what happens if you miss their call each time?!

Simona
04-07-2015, 07:31 AM
When Ofsted launched the CIF they did make it clear that all providers will be inspected before the cycle ends in 2016...eventually our turn will come....hope you can get to read the feedback from the many meetings they are presenting the CIF

The inspection cycle has been every 4 years...however...due to the infamous changes Ofsted have recently made they fell behind with their inspections due to prioritising 'complaint driven' inspections.
Those who follow Ofsted Big Conversation know the mess that followed and how the group has been influential in making Ofsted change its mind...thousands of providers have not been inspected for years...some up to 6 because inadequate/RI were prioritised as well.

Ofsted must be able to contact cms to give them a few days' notice of their inspection...this has not been changed and we should not tempt fate by saying we do not answer the phone
At the London OBC Ofsted confirmed cms will still have a few days' notice.

If Ofsted cannot get in touch with a cm after several attempts they will send a letter ...which we understand can be very unpleasant
We may not use our landline but most cms have a mobile...hard to justify not answering that when we use it every day??

Also many cms have been complaining recently that they are due an inspection ...or have not been inspected for years...
so now the inspectorate is catching up we are not happy either?

I am not justifying Ofsted's own failures and flawed system but I am confused by the comments...let's make sure we keep that notice of inspection because short notice would be really problematic for CMs!

loocyloo
04-07-2015, 07:41 AM
When I had my last inspection, the inspector left a message on my answerphone and I rang back when I got home and had time to talk.

it isn't always possible to answer the phone when it rings - hence why I have an answerphone! I also live in an area with patchy mobile reception - my mobile diverts to my landline and therefore my answerphone.

Simona
04-07-2015, 08:02 AM
When I had my last inspection, the inspector left a message on my answerphone and I rang back when I got home and had time to talk.

it isn't always possible to answer the phone when it rings - hence why I have an answerphone! I also live in an area with patchy mobile reception - my mobile diverts to my landline and therefore my answerphone.

I think that Ofsted understand that very well...for cms it is not always possible to answer the phone because we are out and about all day.
That was understood at London OBC... and the Ofsted woman gave a good example of this

I don't think that is what I was saying in my comment?
cms cannot always answer the phone every time it rings...hence the answering machine or voicemail?
I too have a terrible mobile reception...but then the landline would take over if an inspector was trying to contact me?

We also know that when the inspector calls the number will appear as 'withheld'.

FloraDora
04-07-2015, 08:19 AM
I understand what you are saying Simona but you may remember I was sent a letter after 3 missed calls.
I really don't understand why tribal/ prospects admin can't leave a message, inspectors do.
My missed calls were one before I went and the other two genuinely during my holiday - when I arrived home I had no recorded message saying I had been called and the one before I went I wasn't aware I had been called, we worked out later that I was at the nature reserve.
The letter arrived a week after the school holiday time, it was very blunt and said that I could be de registered unless I got in touch and I should always be available to them.
I immediately got in touch with the number given which was not Prospects but Ofsted, they were not interested really, just asked when I was open and said they would pass info on to prospects and they would be in touch. I raised my concerns about no answerphone message but they were indifferent.
This was when I should have been inspected within 7 months of registering - I was inspected finally after 14 months - the next contact I had was an answerphone message from the inspector which I immediately responded to.
Every one I know, knows I am working and do not ring either home or mobile unless they have to during the days I work, same as when I actually went out to work. As I can be a lone worker with 3 young children I do not answer a phone unless I am in a position to do so or it is from a parent and therefore could be very important , even then I would not answer if I wasn't in a position to safely do so.
My parents will usually text as I am unlikely to answer a phone call when out at the lake or in a playground where I cannot be distracted. I am not in the habit of checking my home phone for calls when I come in , nothing flashes to give me that information either. I am old fashioned probably but I am of the opinion that my mobile is for just my family and close friend and now parents to ring me. It is constantly with me so that I am able to use it, to receive a message from parents during the working day, or to use in an emergency, family can get in touch wherever I am out of the working day.
A parent this week complained that a family member hadn't been in touch since they went on holiday......I said that was what holidays were about!
Apart from letting MinLaw know we have arrived safely, our holidays are for us to go off grid, just like the olden days when we didn't have phones to constantly be in touch, we send postcards and an odd e postcard of a view we have taken. People can contact us, they know we will pick up emails now and then when it suits us or via mobile if they really really need to....but don't expect communication and I don't from others ...holiday means holiday away from the usual life.
To get back to the point - I really don't understand why prospects can't do their check ring and leave a message. Childminders are different to schools and nurseries as they usually don't have a secretary ....(.I once received an ofsted call when I was on the loo and the secretary came with phone in hand to inform me that ofsted was ringing !!! Our arrangement was that she gave me a head up before she transferred the call so that I could compose myself. )
For health and safety reasons we are not always available to answer a phone whilst caring for young children ...this week with all the water play I have had set up in the garden I have never taken my eyes off them!

mumofone
04-07-2015, 08:33 AM
I don't see why these days ofsfed don't move with the times and email (just as good as a letter these days surely?) and say in the email that they have also rang the landline and mobile number and left messages on xx dates and XX times.

Then the final attempt could be a rather blunt letter but only when they've exhausted all other means and had no luck.

Simona
04-07-2015, 08:53 AM
I understand what you are saying Simona but you may remember I was sent a letter after 3 missed calls.
I really don't understand why tribal/ prospects admin can't leave a message, inspectors do.
My missed calls were one before I went and the other two genuinely during my holiday - when I arrived home I had no recorded message saying I had been called and the one before I went I wasn't aware I had been called, we worked out later that I was at the nature reserve.
The letter arrived a week after the school holiday time, it was very blunt and said that I could be de registered unless I got in touch and I should always be available to them.
I immediately got in touch with the number given which was not Prospects but Ofsted, they were not interested really, just asked when I was open and said they would pass info on to prospects and they would be in touch. I raised my concerns about no answerphone message but they were indifferent.
This was when I should have been inspected within 7 months of registering - I was inspected finally after 14 months - the next contact I had was an answerphone message from the inspector which I immediately responded to.
Every one I know, knows I am working and do not ring either home or mobile unless they have to during the days I work, same as when I actually went out to work. As I can be a lone worker with 3 young children I do not answer a phone unless I am in a position to do so or it is from a parent and therefore could be very important , even then I would not answer if I wasn't in a position to safely do so.
My parents will usually text as I am unlikely to answer a phone call when out at the lake or in a playground where I cannot be distracted. I am not in the habit of checking my home phone for calls when I come in , nothing flashes to give me that information either. I am old fashioned probably but I am of the opinion that my mobile is for just my family and close friend and now parents to ring me. It is constantly with me so that I am able to use it, to receive a message from parents during the working day, or to use in an emergency, family can get in touch wherever I am out of the working day.
A parent this week complained that a family member hadn't been in touch since they went on holiday......I said that was what holidays were about!
Apart from letting MinLaw know we have arrived safely, our holidays are for us to go off grid, just like the olden days when we didn't have phones to constantly be in touch, we send postcards and an odd e postcard of a view we have taken. People can contact us, they know we will pick up emails now and then when it suits us or via mobile if they really really need to....but don't expect communication and I don't from others ...holiday means holiday away from the usual life.
To get back to the point - I really don't understand why prospects can't do their check ring and leave a message. Childminders are different to schools and nurseries as they usually don't have a secretary ....(.I once received an ofsted call when I was on the loo and the secretary came with phone in hand to inform me that ofsted was ringing !!! Our arrangement was that she gave me a head up before she transferred the call so that I could compose myself. )
For health and safety reasons we are not always available to answer a phone whilst caring for young children ...this week with all the water play I have had set up in the garden I have never taken my eyes off them!

Thank you Flora Dora

It was with you in mind that I mentioned the letter we could receive in case we miss that call....I remember you mentioning it before.
Just to repeat and clarify what was said at the London OBC: it is the inspector who usually calls because she has to find out if the cms is in, working on the day, has EYFS children on roll and much more....my understanding it is not Tribal or Prospect admin team who call....it is the inspector herself....please check this for yourself.

The Ofsted panel mentioned a cm who missed 11 calls...hence the reason our notice stays the same...yes because cms are different and out and about in the community...Ofsted agreed with this when I raised it at OBC and said we do not stay within 4 walls all day long.

Ofsted have never left messages or sent emails ...I don't know why...also it is not Ofsted who call but the outsourced inspectors....EY settings are not inspected by HMI

If cms feel they want emails or other ways of being contacted they should address this to Ofsted itself ...or maybe go along to one of the OBC meetings and ask that question directly....I was the only CM at London OBC, asked several questions, have tried to feedback and also posted the blog from June from that meeting.

If any cm has a worry do call Tribal or Prospects and get the info first hand.

mumofone
04-07-2015, 09:25 AM
I'm going to make sure I always answer all calls now just incase! :-)

FloraDora
04-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Thank you Flora Dora

It was with you in mind that I mentioned the letter we could receive in case we miss that call....I remember you mentioning it before.
Just to repeat and clarify what was said at the London OBC: it is the inspector who usually calls because she has to find out if the cms is in, working on the day, has EYFS children on roll and much more....my understanding it is not Tribal or Prospect admin team who call....it is the inspector herself....please check this for yourself.

The Ofsted panel mentioned a cm who missed 11 calls...hence the reason our notice stays the same...yes because cms are different and out and about in the community...Ofsted agreed with this when I raised it at OBC and said we do not stay within 4 walls all day long.

Ofsted have never left messages or sent emails ...I don't know why...also it is not Ofsted who call but the outsourced inspectors....EY settings are not inspected by HMI

If cms feel they want emails or other ways of being contacted they should address this to Ofsted itself ...or maybe go along to one of the OBC meetings and ask that question directly....I was the only CM at London OBC, asked several questions, have tried to feedback and also posted the blog from June from that meeting.

If any cm has a worry do call Tribal or Prospects and get the info first hand.

In my case and others I have been told of - Prospects called to check which days I was working - to update their information ( this is the call I missed) no message is left.
Then not long after ( usually) your name is passed to an individual inspector that works for prospects who has a 2 week timeline to inspect you, the inspector does leave a message.

Simona
04-07-2015, 10:35 AM
In my case and others I have been told of - Prospects called to check which days I was working - to update their information ( this is the call I missed) no message is left.
Then not long after ( usually) your name is passed to an individual inspector that works for prospects who has a 2 week timeline to inspect you, the inspector does leave a message.

Thank you for the feedback...it looks like Ofsted has different information?
Not sure how that can be clarified unless it is raised directly by those concerned as I did.

Rubybubbles
04-07-2015, 08:27 PM
Interestingly I had a message left on my phone when the inspector called, with contact details not withheld.

About a week after my inspection I had a call from ofsted, not withheld about my inspection too.

Mouse
04-07-2015, 08:40 PM
The inspector covering our area at the moment is leaving a message if she doesn't get through. No one is phoning beforehand to check if we are working, have EYs children etc. The first anyone hears is when they speak to the inspector.

Simona
05-07-2015, 07:01 AM
It looks like we have several different experiences here...what a surprise!

In some cases the inspector leaves a message...in others she speaks directly to the provider to establish details which we had already mentioned and is supposed to be the regular practice.

We also have inspectors leaving their mobile number...or was that Tribal or Prospects' admin team? (more like it otherwise inspectors would be inundated with our calls?? their mobile are also just for use when the are subcontracted by Ofsted )
so a Common Inspection Framework still means that Tribal and Prospects do things differently for cms while the system remains consistent for all other providers.

I personally have no concerns about being contacted by Ofsted...that is part of being independent, registered and regulated by Ofsted which makes that contact part of the deal.
I also personally have always answered the phone or mobile but if I was concerned I would ring the inspectorate and get 1st hand advice.
Cms can also check the latest publications on inspections ....better that than some unpleasant letter dropping in our letter box.

Good luck to those expecting that call! hope you are not too anxious.

FloraDora
05-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Just to clarify Simona the ofsted inspector left a message to ring her, not just a message that you are going to be inspected. I did talk to her.

lizduncan72
05-07-2015, 02:36 PM
You're all very lucky that you get notice at all-in Scotland ours are unannounced!!!! :(

tulip0803
05-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Unannounced in Wales too.

1st inspection she rang to say outside and could I return, was on my way back anyway. 2nd she knocked on backdoor as I was cleaning, not supposed to be working that day but had had a parent call with a migraine asking me to have LO so quickly sprucing and she came with me to collect. 3rd rang to ask if I would mind having 2 inspectors as she was training but couldn't tell me when (arrived next day!), 4th (not had yet) phoned about 3 weeks ago to ask if I was about as she was training again but I had 2 pick-ups so was too tight will arrive at some point before April next year. We are inspected about every 2 years, my last one was 18m ago.

NightOwl
05-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Hi teacake2. Don't panic you will be fine. Will you have time to walk dogs? Can anyone else do it for you, a lot of time is spent looking at paper work. (On the other hand its good to mention as it fits in with keeping children healthy. Can you have someone on standby to take dogs?) All inspectors seem to be different so don't take this as correct for you. I would say to make sure you know your safeguarding well. What to look for, signs etc and then what to do if you suspect abuse. Visitors book/check inspectors badge. Show that children have access to water especially with hot weather. Public liability, car insurance, ico, dbs, medical/ incident/ medication book, training documents ready to be shown as well as parent permission forms and policies. Have you a complaints book/form as well as policy. Signed two year check? Risk assessment checks of house and garden, and proof of having been done. How you link with nursery/school if you have ey children attending. Proof of working in partnership with parents, eg any cooking recipes passed on/games lent? Daily diaries? Have you a SEF or any form of self reflection/evaluation/training to show? Parents references? Parents questionnaires: could you print some off for parents to quickly look at on arrival next week, maybe tick boxes to speed things up, with room for comments, and get to sign. EYFS: tracking and proof of progress. Will your inspector be able to follow your tracking and understand where child is placed age-wise in EYFS. Feeding birds with children is a good activity, can you explain how this links to EYFS. If you have a challenging child on day of inspection: how you deal with situation, what strategies you have in place. Hope this helps, some of it may be part of the inspection, or some of it might not be asked, it depends on inspector. Sarah N has it written better somewhere on this forum (smiling). Take a deep breath you will be fine. Good luck xx

JCrakers
05-07-2015, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=Simona;1403103]

Also many cms have been complaining recently that they are due an inspection ...or have not been inspected for years...
QUOTE]

As far as Ofsted go I don't think a lot of us are happy with whatever they do. 6 childminders in my town have now stopped. One was due to stop by the end of the summer, she's been childminding for years. She told parents that she would work upto the end of August so they could get themselves sorted for the new school year.
Ofsted rang her last week....said she need to be inspected. She advised them that she was retiring at the end of August and would she be ok if she wasn't inspected. They weren't interested in listening to her and said if she continued to childmind they would get the police involved. She had to stop, there and then.

In hindsight she should have had the inspection. It wouldn't have mattered to her what grade she received.

Simona
06-07-2015, 07:51 AM
I am rather unclear about the comments in this threads now....all I have done is feedback from what I have heard by attending a meeting with Ofsted in London.

OBC has 7 areas all over England where these meetings happen and they are open to all cms...please attend so you can ask questions first hand and not rely on those who go and try to help by feeding back.
It appears that we are more happy to speculate than get our facts right.

J Crackers...I am sad to hear about this cm who wants to give up
If that cm had read the inspection guidance she would have known and expected the action Ofsted took about being inspected when it is due?
There is a complaint system for Ofsted...this cm should use it.

Flora Dora....I was just stating ALL cms have a different opinion or experience on how and who they receive a call from...whether it is withheld or not, whether they get left a message or not...even when an inspector is in the area? I think inspectors are in any areas at all times but there I go and differ in opinion again.

So we can say the system is not uniform...those who are unhappy can ring Ofsted and complain and report either Tribal or Prospects.

I think we know that we have a window of opportunity by receiving a few days' notice...read the messages from those who do not enjoy that privilege in Scotland and Wales.

As I said I have never had a problem with responding to calls ...hope those who have get it sorted....good luck!

If we really want to be particular we should refer to Tribal and Prospects inspectors as 'ISP'...that is what they are...we in EY are not inspected by Ofsted inspectors but by those outsourced to do so...although Ofsted will now train Tribal and Prospects...go along to any Ofsted CIF presentation or OBC meeting and get info first hand..

mumofone
06-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Hi jcrackers, Dyou mind if I ask why you think the 6 childminders in your town are giving up?

I've heard of 3 locally that are giving up but I think they are being "replaced" as it were by new people starting up.

Ripeberry
06-07-2015, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=Simona;1403103]

QUOTE]

As far as Ofsted go I don't think a lot of us are happy with whatever they do. 6 childminders in my town have now stopped. One was due to stop by the end of the summer, she's been childminding for years. She told parents that she would work upto the end of August so they could get themselves sorted for the new school year.
Ofsted rang her last week....said she need to be inspected. She advised them that she was retiring at the end of August and would she be ok if she wasn't inspected. They weren't interested in listening to her and said if she continued to childmind they would get the police involved. She had to stop, there and then.

In hindsight she should have had the inspection. It wouldn't have mattered to her what grade she received.

'The police involved?!' and she is registered (or was), and in the meantime any Tom, Dick or Harry can carry on illegally childminding, they don't involve the police with that do they?

mumofone
06-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Unannounced in Wales too. 1st inspection she rang to say outside and could I return, was on my way back anyway. 2nd she knocked on backdoor as I was cleaning, not supposed to be working that day but had had a parent call with a migraine asking me to have LO so quickly sprucing and she came with me to collect. 3rd rang to ask if I would mind having 2 inspectors as she was training but couldn't tell me when (arrived next day!), 4th (not had yet) phoned about 3 weeks ago to ask if I was about as she was training again but I had 2 pick-ups so was too tight will arrive at some point before April next year. We are inspected about every 2 years, my last one was 18m ago.

Wow four inspections? Over what period had that been tulip?

Simona
06-07-2015, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=JCrakers;1403219]

'The police involved?!' and she is registered (or was), and in the meantime any Tom, Dick or Harry can carry on illegally childminding, they don't involve the police with that do they?

My understanding is Ofsted can involve the police if they need to inspect and get no access or barriers or whatever...that is what it used to be like but how many times it has happened? it is in their guidance
I am sure this was not this cm's case.
If this cm felt threatened she should have raised it directly to Ofsted...I certainly would.

We know there have always been 'unregistered' cms...Ofsted have been informed 1000s of times.
now the govt has made it legal for anyone to mind for 2 hours without registration

Simona
06-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Hi jcrackers, Dyou mind if I ask why you think the 6 childminders in your town are giving up?

I've heard of 3 locally that are giving up but I think they are being "replaced" as it were by new people starting up.

Thousands of cms are giving up...for various reasons...they are everywhere
In my area the numbers have gone from 350 to just over 300
Nationally we have just about 50,000 compared to years ago when there used to be close to 100,000...this govt has also blamed the Labour govt for that drop...fantasy really when we know many are a little worried about agencies.
EYFS 2008 drove many out as they did not want to follow the framework and related paperwork, now the reasons are very different, although many leave to move on and explore other avenues!

I am aware that Sarah 707 has an OBC in her area in September...I am sure she will clarify many questions for cms and feedback to the forum..

JCrakers
06-07-2015, 09:09 AM

Too much stress, too many changes from Ofsted, too little pay and undervalued.

fran90
06-07-2015, 09:23 AM
I've been registered 18 months and this is my dream job however I'm looking to give up before Xmas as I'm fed up of the constant changes, of OFSTED, and I believe in letting children be children and learning through play i became a childminder as I enjoy looking after children I have no desire to be a teacher and I feel this is the way things are heading and that's not something I want to be a part of. Children are being forced to grow up much quicker these days and there is so much pressure on them and I worry about their futures.

tulip0803
06-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Wow four inspections? Over what period had that been tulip?

I registered in 2008 so first was 2009 and the last was Jan 2014, will be due inspection again this financial year. They are not like OFSTED inspections we are regulated by the Care and Social Services Inspectorate of Wales (at the moment, they are going to merge with the education inspectorate in the near future so who knows then!) they look at care and some education rather than EDUCATION. I was OFSTED registered in Essex before moving to Wales and for the oldies (like me) is more like the old Social services inspections :)

FloraDora
06-07-2015, 12:32 PM
I've been registered 18 months and this is my dream job however I'm looking to give up before Xmas as I'm fed up of the constant changes, of OFSTED, and I believe in letting children be children and learning through play i became a childminder as I enjoy looking after children I have no desire to be a teacher and I feel this is the way things are heading and that's not something I want to be a part of. Children are being forced to grow up much quicker these days and there is so much pressure on them and I worry about their futures.

The EYFS is all about learning through play and the Learning outcomes are just guidance around expected achievements of an age group - so supporting learning, chatting, observing and knowing how children develop skills and the expected next steps have always been similar, I personally don't think anything the government or Ofsted expect is forcing children to grow up quicker, my own children achieved similar learning outcomes and developed the characteristics of learning nearly 30 years ago. However, some parents and the rest of the world expect chilidren to grow up quicker by dressing them in mini mum / teenage outfits, blazoned with 'LOL' or 'Love' words, putting them into a bed before they understand about staying in bed, letting them stay up late at night, letting them watch unsuitable films/apps, giving them huge choices too early.....to name a few areas!
I think the word 'teacher' is being used, quite rightly, childminders and parents have always taught their children, what's brilliant is the acknowledgement that that is what we do when we play with the children.
I agree the paperwork is heavy, but once you have your initial policies, medication and permissions the day to day is not too bad as long as you see it as part of the role and allow 'office time' to do it, like any self employed person, if anything since I started similar to you about 2 years ago, I think the paperwork is much lighter, Ofsted only expected to see evidence of progress and self evaluation after policies. I chose however to show everything I do, which is minimal compared to what I would be expected to do at a school.
It's sad to hear of childminders giving up, but you need to be honest with yourself - very little has changed since we started, it has for lots of childminders that have been doing it for years, but since the current EYFS we knew when we started what was expected of us. My LEA pre registration training outlined the 'learning' aspect and expectation of current paperwork required, there is a great download section on here that also made me aware before I started what was expected. So perhaps it's not really the job in reality that you personally expected it to be, learning outcomes and the statuatory framework is the same, actually juggling working with young children, paperwork, management and working with parents and other agencies may not be your fortè, it certainly isn't everyone's.
If you have only been childminding for 18 months you must have already been inspected, if initially it was your dream job and you have now lost enthusiasm don't give up on it yet.....it might be worth reviewing what is really difficult to achieve, what one or two things particulary affect your spark for the job, then addressing it in small steps and adjustments, whilst you enjoy supporting the children in their play........you will have quite a bit of time to adjust before Ofsted return

Simona
06-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Flora Dora...I am one of those CM who has been doing this job since 2001 as a CM when I closed my preschool.
what has changed?
We were supported via Social Services, advised properly and always recommended what to do that was 'best for children'
SS were always on the other side of the phone, visited whenever we needed any help, their inspections were carried out in a positive way, always encouraging, truthful, and praising efforts even when the 'changes' started to appear.

I believe very strongly that CMs really cope under the circumstances as we are left mostly on our own by LAs who have diluted their support, who seem to have 152 variations on conditions for this and that.

Ofsted...well the inspectorate could be a little less critical of CMs in my view and not constantly taking swipes at us...despite that CMs have risen to the challenge and continue to raise their inspection grades.
The disparity in qualifications...CMs do not need any
EYFS Policies...all have to do them...not Cms
The current drive towards 'school led' EY and constant referring to 'nurseries'
The CIF...what is that about? hard to relate it to EY
Inspections...we have undergone inspections by poorly qualified inspectors who have caused havoc with their individual interpretations on various issues...ratios being one.
Paperwork...it can be managed if CMs do not produce extra 'just to please Ofsted'
Funding...it has taken a lot of efforts to get CMs included in that
Last but not least Ofsted immediate support for agencies...nothing to do with better care but huge savings in registering and inspecting cms!

it can be understood if many CMs have had enough...hard to do a job with such constant pressure and relentless changes...the teachers are not that amused either as NUT is clearly stating each day...they have a shortage of teachers now...why?

But I know Cms are resilient and will soldier on!...ours is the best form of childcare available to children who are now pushed into school at 2 just because HMCI thinks that is best for them!

Keep going everyone :thumbsup: