PDA

View Full Version : Letting a child go- not a good fit. Should i even consider doing this?

Kbrands
02-07-2015, 12:35 PM
I obviously won't go into too much detail, but i have a child who's been coming to me for about half a year (3.3yo) and i'm starting to think that we'll never be a good fit for each other.

I feel awful about it, but he just doesn't seem to enjoy coming here (even though once he's settled for the day he always enjoys the activities) and the other children are starting to pick up some really undesirable aspects of his behaviour. It's SO wearing and it makes me feel like i'm totally inadequate at my job.

I'm my same happy, enthusiastic self around him, and i pride myself on being very fair with all of the children (something even ofsted commented on). I absolutely accept that not every child has to like me, but don't think it's doing either of us any good spending every day with each other!

The parents seem happy with his progress and how he is at the setting.

Is there any way at all i can let this child go without hurting the parent's feelings and damaging my reputation?

loocyloo
02-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I obviously won't go into too much detail, but i have a child who's been coming to me for about half a year (3.3yo) and i'm starting to think that we'll never be a good fit for each other.

I feel awful about it, but he just doesn't seem to enjoy coming here (even though once he's settled for the day he always enjoys the activities) and the other children are starting to pick up some really undesirable aspects of his behaviour. It's SO wearing and it makes me feel like i'm totally inadequate at my job.

I'm my same happy, enthusiastic self around him, and i pride myself on being very fair with all of the children (something even ofsted commented on). I absolutely accept that not every child has to like me, but don't think it's doing either of us any good spending every day with each other!

The parents seem happy with his progress and how he is at the setting.

Is there any way at all i can let this child go without hurting the parent's feelings and damaging my reputation?

oh sweetie,

what a dilemma. I have no advice and can't even think how you can say anything, except to say to them, what you have said here. some children just don't fit with us/or us them. ( I had a schoolie for 3 years that grated, but I kept because mum was best friends with another very long term mum. when schoolie left, long term mum said '' I don't know how you coped for so long - child really bugs me '' !!!! I said I wish she'd said, 'cos I felt the same!

could you perhaps suggest you think he'd be ready for nursery for the last year before school????

Mouse
02-07-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm afraid I have no advice, but you have my sympathy!

I have one child who I really can't take to. He's been coming here for almost 18 months and I really don't know why I've kept him for so long! He only comes one day a week (for which I am very thankful) and I had hoped he would be leaving in September to go to nursery. Unfortunately parents are so happy with him here that they've arranged it so he can do nursery and still come here for his day :crying:

When he first started with me I told parents I was happy to do just one day a week, but that I may have to give notice if someone came along wanting more days. I tell all the parents of one day a week children the same thing. I've even done a reminder to everyone saying that as I am taking on new children for September I may not be able to continue with all the one day contracts. I have the perfect excuse already in place, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of him!

AgentTink
02-07-2015, 05:46 PM
I have been in this situation and had the child from 9 months old. I took the opportunity as he got close to turning 3 to say I felt he would benefit from a nursery environment with more children his own age....i even went got brochures!!!!. Best thing I did. Felt such a relief of my shoulders.