PDA

View Full Version : Assessments

mumofone
30-06-2015, 07:33 PM
I know that we are obliged to do formal assessments at 2 years old and at the end of the EYFS but do we need to have any other written assessments or is it good practice to?
I've obtained starting points for my new mindee and have started observations but do I just continue now observing until the two year mark and adding to their LJ with wow moments, info from parents etc until aged two when I do their 2 year progress check or do I need written assessments before then?

moggy
30-06-2015, 08:30 PM
These statements (below) are from this document:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/434932/Early_years_inspection_handbook_from_Sept_2015.pdf

It does not say what the assessments need to be (except for th the 2 yr check which needs to be written and completeed with parents' input and shared with parents). So you need to work out what suits you and your families.

I assess all obs because I use Tapestry and it is easy to assess every obs against the EYO age bands and statements. I write a termly progress review summarizing the child's achievments and next steps in the 3 Prime areas (all 2s/under 2s). I do a tracker termly too although Tapestry has an on going assessment/tracker tool online.

This is what Ofsted says it is looking for at these grades:

'Grade descriptors for teaching, learning and assessment'

Outstanding:

- Accurate assessment, including through high quality observations, is
rigorous and sharply focused and includes all those involved in the child’s
learning and development. Where appropriate, children are involved in the
process. Information from assessment is used to secure timely
interventions and support, based on a comprehensive knowledge of the
child and their family.
- Provision across all areas of learning is planned meticulously and based on
regular and precise assessments of children’s achievement so that every
child undertakes highly challenging activities.

Good:

- Practitioners make regular and precise assessments of children’s learning
that they use effectively to plan suitably challenging activities. They
observe carefully, question skilfully and listen perceptively to children
during activities in order to re-shape activities and give children
explanations that improve their learning.

Simona
01-07-2015, 08:42 AM
I know that we are obliged to do formal assessments at 2 years old and at the end of the EYFS but do we need to have any other written assessments or is it good practice to?
I've obtained starting points for my new mindee and have started observations but do I just continue now observing until the two year mark and adding to their LJ with wow moments, info from parents etc until aged two when I do their 2 year progress check or do I need written assessments before then?

it depends on what type of assessment you are referring to...formative assessment as stated in EYFS p 13 2.1 is ongoing and based on your 'every day' observations...not all obs need to be written down.

Summative assessment p 13 2.2 should be after you have put in place your next steps...or whatever you want to call them such as 'moving on' etc etc

Your summative assessment...a short summary of the progress... should be done regularly looking at 'emerging, expected or exceeding' progress...then the cycle starts again...set new goals, observe and assess.
At age 2 you do a Progress check then move on to all the 7 areas at age 3.

Ofsted must inspect according to EYFS requirements....I am sure providers will be given the new guidance of descriptors from the new inspection framework which will be updated to allow for the changes announced recently

Keep it simple and avoid lengthy paperwork!...and know your EYFS inside out!