PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get Ofsted to allow me to use a room that they didn't inspect?

greenfaerie
29-06-2015, 11:19 AM
During my pre registration visit I chose not to register my bedroom or study (and have them locked during minding hours) Since those rooms will never be used by the children.

However, since working I have discovered that not being able to get into my bedroom is really annoying. Not being able to get to my hairbrush if the baby has been grabbing my hair or to change my cardigan if the baby has been wiping their nose on it. Not to mention sometimes my daughter's clean clothes are in there and I may need to change her outfit.

Is there anyway I can change this with Ofsted? I still wouldn't take the children in there, but being able to nip in myself to grab something would make things much easier!

JoRo163
29-06-2015, 12:24 PM
So long as the children aren't using rooms which are unregistered, I see no reason why you can't access those rooms. Just make sure the children don't follow you!

Mouse
29-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Oh, bless you, have you been staying out of your bedroom and study for the whole of the time you are working?

It's OK to choose not to let children into the rooms, but it doesn't mean you're not allowed into them. I often go into the bedrooms during the day to get things I need...or to hide my online clothes and resources deliveries that I don't want DH to see :laughing:

greenfaerie
29-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Really? Oh thank goodness! I've been creating a "maybe" stash pile in the morning of things I might need, and it was getting particularly limiting during the kids two hour naptime!

My LA specifically told us that we weren't allowed in any rooms that we didn't get registered, even to grab something. That's what I've been going off. :S

Mouse
29-06-2015, 01:23 PM
My LA specifically told us that we weren't allowed in any rooms that we didn't get registered, even to grab something. That's what I've been going off. :S

Really?? I've never heard that before, but then it's so long ago that I registered and things do change.

I didn't think we actually registered specific rooms anyway now. Back in the day our certificates said which rooms were registered (it said something like "the whole of downstairs and the upstairs bathroom"), but that's not on the certificates now.Do you still have to apply for certain rooms then?

I would send an email to Ofsted asking them if you're allowed in rooms that aren't registered. They may just refer you to the EYFS (which I don't think says anything about younot being allowed in certain rooms), but keep any reply on file so if it's ever queried by your LA you have evidence that they are wrong.

greenfaerie
29-06-2015, 01:29 PM
It was during the house inspection. The inspector walked around the house and judged each room briefly for safety, I told her that the bedroom and study weren't used and were locked, and she was happy with that. She typed up on her computer what rooms I was using. This wasn't reflected on my certificate though. :S

Thanks on the email point, I might just drop them one. (Though I'm always uneasy contacting Ofsted, they're scary, haha)

Mouse
29-06-2015, 01:32 PM
It was during the house inspection. The inspector walked around the house and judged each room briefly for safety, I told her that the bedroom and study weren't used and were locked, and she was happy with that. She typed up on her computer what rooms I was using. This wasn't reflected on my certificate though. :S

It's good to know how things are done now.

You could also email your LA and ask where in the EYFS it says that you're not allowed in the rooms while you are working. I can totally understand children not being allowed in, but I can't think why it would make a difference if you went in. How would they even know that or be able to monitor it?

FussyElmo
29-06-2015, 01:49 PM
It's good to know how things are done now.

You could also email your LA and ask where in the EYFS it says that you're not allowed in the rooms while you are working. I can totally understand children not being allowed in, but I can't think why it would make a difference if you went in. How would they even know that or be able to monitor it?

I must admit I always thought the same as Mouse. That it was the children not allowed in those rooms.

I used to have my bedroom exempt from childminding but sometimes I do have to go up and get something

Lal
29-06-2015, 01:52 PM
I have high level cabin hooks on the bedroom doors upstairs. My room and study stay hooked shut all the time unless I go and get something, my daughter's room is hooked to start with, but I unhook it for her if she wants to go in. The hooks are the right length to let the cat through the doors, but not children.

My understanding was that rooms are not registered or not registered, but it is up to us to risk asses our homes and take the steps we deem as necessary to keep the children safe.

Mouse
29-06-2015, 01:58 PM
I have high level cabin hooks on the bedroom doors upstairs. My room and study stay hooked shut all the time unless I go and get something, my daughter's room is hooked to start with, but I unhook it for her if she wants to go in. The hooks are the right length to let the cat through the doors, but not children.

My understanding was that rooms are not registered or not registered, but it is up to us to risk asses our homes and take the steps we deem as necessary to keep the children safe.

That's what I do. The bedrooms are all out of bounds to children, so I have hooks & chains at the tops of the doors. I do go in during the day. I don't think I could possibly get through a day without going into a bedroom for something. Just today I was in my daughter's room sorting through her bag of clothes for the charity shop as mindee had come in a long sleeved jumper and was boiling in this heat. If I'd have had to chose between going into the room to find a t-shirt, or letting her overheat, I know which I'd have done :thumbsup:

greenfaerie
29-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys. It's the cabin hooks that I use, I find them the simplest. Maybe I misunderstood my LA, and they were talking about nipping in to grab something, whilst carrying a small child? I might email them to clarify.

Maza
29-06-2015, 04:08 PM
I would check that you or the LA haven't misunderstood the requirements. If they are right then we wouldn't be allowed to take the children anywhere in the community that we hadn't been to before, such a new café, a theatre trip or a new playground.

AliceK
29-06-2015, 04:16 PM
My garage isn't registered for mindees use I am sure, it most certainly isn't safe for them to be in there for obvious reasons but I pop in and out of there all day for lots of different reasons.
If it makes you feel better to email them then do but I can't see why it would be a problem.

xxx

JCrakers
29-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Your LA told you that you cant even go into a room in your own house?
Sorry, i'm speechless.

Some good advice form everyone :thumbsup:

Simona
30-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Really? Oh thank goodness! I've been creating a "maybe" stash pile in the morning of things I might need, and it was getting particularly limiting during the kids two hour naptime!

We are aware that each LA's EY team has its own criteria and advice...however...this one given to you takes the biscuit!.
Unless we report the contradictory advice we receive on various issues we will never achieve a uniform regulatory system we can confidently follow.

I personally would follow up any dubious advice from my LA with a call to Ofsted or DfE...ask them 'is this right'? then report to your EY team...always ask the team to quote where in the EYFS or Ofsted's regulations it states what they asking us to do.
All EY teams have direct access to Ofsted and receive direct information on a regular basis from the inspectorate...put it to the test!

TinyTinker
30-06-2015, 01:51 PM
My bedroom is also unregistered and not used by children - but I have a hook and eye type lock up really high on it - so if I have any lo that are likely not to be able to resist a nosy I put this on - and it's easily taken off in seconds to pop in and out to get something. I also have these locks on my airing cupboard and kids bedrooms - the kids bedrooms are registered but I only use them for napping children in cots.

SYLVIA
01-07-2015, 01:16 PM
My original certificate stated that only the bathroom and main bedroom could be used upstairs. When I had my inspection in may I asked if she could look at a bedroom that is now a spare room and register it for use for childminding and was told that it's now up to me to make that decision, not them. So I have and now use it for sleeping babies.

Simona
01-07-2015, 01:29 PM
During my pre registration visit I chose not to register my bedroom or study (and have them locked during minding hours) Since those rooms will never be used by the children.

However, since working I have discovered that not being able to get into my bedroom is really annoying. Not being able to get to my hairbrush if the baby has been grabbing my hair or to change my cardigan if the baby has been wiping their nose on it. Not to mention sometimes my daughter's clean clothes are in there and I may need to change her outfit.

Is there anyway I can change this with Ofsted? I still wouldn't take the children in there, but being able to nip in myself to grab something would make things much easier!

Yes...look at EYFS p 31 3.77
Call Ofsted and tell them you wish access to your bedroom for whatever reasons and, maybe, at times, your children may be with you...I can't see they would object?

greenfaerie
07-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Okay, my LA has emailed me and clarified the issue! It was just a misunderstanding (thank goodness!) When they told the story of a Childminder being de-registered for going upstairs in her home when Ofsted were inspecting, they neglected to mention she carried a baby with her. I've been terrified because of that story for months. :P

Mouse
07-07-2015, 05:30 PM
That makes sense now!

Very pleased you got it sorted. I bet you've spent all day running in and out of your bedroom...just because you can :clapping::D

greenfaerie
07-07-2015, 06:06 PM
I must admit I did saunter in to get the baby monitor without a care in the world. :) (Rather than bring it through at 7:20am, hoping the battery lasts!)