PDA

View Full Version : Playdough as an activity during Ofsted inspection?

asatess
29-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Hi I'm considering doing play dough making as an activity during my Ofsted inspection. Has anyone done this and was it successful? Did you include the making as part of the activity or did you do that earlier? Trying to find something foolproof!

Kbrands
29-06-2015, 09:48 AM
I would say whatever your doing, don't make it too difficult for yourself. I found my simple activity was actually pretty tricky when the inspector kept talking to me and it was difficult to concentrate on everything at once!! I think if I'd been cooking playdoh my head might have exploded!!

I did water play, but I included white sponge 'clouds' , clear rainbow coloured tokens and clear cups with holes in the bottom. So it was 'rain' not just water, lots of possibility to describe how the water felt, the sound it made, and to include lots of themed songs. Pretty easy clean up, but also an interesting variation.

I think as long as you can show that you do do interesting and more complex activities, your ofsted inspector will be happy with something simple.

AliceK
29-06-2015, 10:03 AM
I did a playdoh activity at one of my inspections, it went fine. I didn't make the playdoh but we talked about colours etc. The ofsted inspector noted that the children were allowed to mix the different colours up. Maybe some people don't like the colours to be all mixed together??

I did a baking activity at my last inspection. We made and decorated fairy cakes.

Whatever you decide to do make sure it's something the children have done before and are comfortable and happy doing it.

xxx

asatess
29-06-2015, 10:14 AM
We do lots of activities but none of them foolproof with a 1 year old and two 2 year olds. Unless we could get outside, water play would be too messy. The last time I was inspected I used a dolls house and the children played at putting the dolls to bed. Also had a bowl and flannels and the kids pretended to wash them. But the kids I had then were older, I only had 2 and they'd been with me since babies. 2 of my current 3 have only been with me a few months. Plus I don't think that activity would be enough now. I think they'd expect more.

Maza
29-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Mine absolutely love making playdough as much as playing with it - but you will need to think about what the little ones will be doing it when you are actually 'cooking' it. If you do it on the stove or with the boiling water method, this isn't really something very young children can be overly involved in and so what do you want them to be doing then? Also, when it first comes out of the pan it is a little too hot to handle straight away. If you just think those things through then it can be a winner. It all depends if you remain 'open' to their ideas as you play. For example, one time we all made some brown playdough and I had provided resources to make hedgehogs, as we had just been reading about hedgehogs. However, the boys just wanted to make a birthday cake for Batman. In fact, most of our playdough sessions involve making a birthday cake for whoever is flavour of the month!

asatess
29-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Yes, that's exactly the issue. I use the boiling water method. Little ones can't be involved in that and then the dough is too hot. If anyone had done it as an activity I was going to ask what they did with the kids during this process. But if I make it before hand I might as well use the bought stuff. I just thought the making of it added a bit of something. But maybe its just making it over complicated!!

Maza
29-06-2015, 11:02 AM
It's funny isn't it because we do these things all the time and just get on with it, but the minute Ofsted are involved we begin to question everything! There is a microwave version (you'd have to look it up and give it a trial run - I've never done it), maybe that would be less complicated?

AliceK
29-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Can you not just make it the day before (or whenever) and then you can add things to make it a more sensory experience for the children??

xx

rollypolly
29-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Hi, had my inspection 2 weeks ago, and we did play dough. I made it the day before thou, the children on the day, had different tools and cutters. I also gave them scissors, so they could snip the dough, as this helps strengthen the muscle and helps with palm grip. Inspector really like this. Good luck with your inspection :)

asatess
29-06-2015, 01:24 PM
That maybe the solution. Home made but made in advance. Good thinking. Thanks

moggy
29-06-2015, 03:01 PM
That maybe the solution. Home made but made in advance. Good thinking. Thanks

More important than what you do is why you are doing it. You need to be able to say 'we are trying this because Johnney...' (next step/link to something they have been enjoying/extending play from earlier that week/working on a particular skill/so we can work on vocabulary about xxx etc.) Doesn't matter if it is just playing with a cardboard box- if you can say why and how that child might be benefiting from it then it is perfect.

Sarah wrote a blog very recently about planning activities for inspections, maybe have a 'search'.

SYLVIA
01-07-2015, 01:26 PM
We did painting handprint caterpillars when I was inspected and read the story with the story sack. I asked her if she wanted to watch an activity and she said, only if I was doing one but it didn't matter. She must have listened in whilst on her lap top because she mentioned us doing it in the report.

Fitrix
03-07-2015, 08:06 AM
I find playdoh an excellent activity for during inspection. It gives opportunity for loads of interaction / discussion with kids - colours/textures/shapes/what they are doing. You can tailor it pretty much to anything they've been covering recently - use different cutters ie transport/flowers/food/alphabet. You can make it sensory - add glitter/ sequins/glass beads. I had my inspection in autumn so made salt dough and put out autumn bits (beech mast/acorn caps/twigs etc) and the kids made autumnal people or in some cases a mess of dough with twigs and odd things poked into it. A good opportunity for me to show I was providing an activity to help their motor skills too. The possibilities are endless if you give it a little thought. And great for any age. Go for it!