PDA

View Full Version : Hard attracting work at the moment...

helendee
29-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Is anyone else currently in the same position as myself, I am receiving a fair amount of enquiries and therefore visits and at the time the parents Ooh and AAh and how lovely everything is but then I fail to hear any more from them or if I chase them up I am told that I was lovely but they have found something more convenient/ decided on a nursery, blah blah blah.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't lead me to believe that they were definitely interested in a place during their visit.

What am I doing wrong?

loocyloo
29-06-2015, 11:51 AM
I just think that's the way things are at the moment! I've had several enquiries that don't turn into anything!

good luck xx

Mouse
29-06-2015, 02:11 PM
I had a family come to see me a few months back. In emails before they came they told me they loved my profile, they loved the sound of me on the phone. When they were here they loved everything, everything was amazing, everything I did was wonderful...then I didn't ever hear from them again!!

I have to be honest, the child was a bit of a nightmare and I wasn't going to offer them a space anyway, but I still felt a bit miffed that they didn't even ask for one!!

Hang in there. Sooner or later you'll find the perfect family :thumbsup:

samb
29-06-2015, 02:50 PM
I had a family come to see me a few months back. In emails before they came they told me they loved my profile, they loved the sound of me on the phone. When they were here they loved everything, everything was amazing, everything I did was wonderful...then I didn't ever hear from them again!! I have to be honest, the child was a bit of a nightmare and I wasn't going to offer them a space anyway, but I still felt a bit miffed that they didn't even ask for one!! Hang in there. Sooner or later you'll find the perfect family :thumbsup:
I've had this recently too. And also 2 parents I wasn't sure of who never got back to me. Plus another 2 who came and wanted free settling sessions before a contract was signed. This isn't how I work and I offered for them to come back again for a visit before any decisions were made and again never heard back. Until this year every visit led to a contract for me so it is quite disheartening. I have decided to go down to working only 3 days a week from sept. I have an assistant and I will have enough work for me all day and for her part days for 3 days so luckily I have a couple of flexi families who were willing to swap so that I can cut down days but be busy on opening days. Probably won't be the case for long lol

Mouse
29-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Until this year every visit led to a contract for me so it is quite disheartening.

Same here. I have rarely had a family visit who didn't want a space. The family I saw were already using a nursery and had to travel quite a distance to get to me, so it made sense to stop where they were, or find someone closer. It still makes you question yourself though, even if you don't actually want the work!

samb
29-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Yes exactly right. 2 of the visitors I actually said to my assistant I didn't get a good feeling and would have to think of what to say if they rang and wanted to sign up. However I would have liked an acknowledgement along the lines of "thanks for seeing us but we have gone elsewhere" rather than waiting!

Simona
29-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Yes exactly right. 2 of the visitors I actually said to my assistant I didn't get a good feeling and would have to think of what to say if they rang and wanted to sign up. However I would have liked an acknowledgement along the lines of "thanks for seeing us but we have gone elsewhere" rather than waiting!

That is right...always tell prospective parents that you too need to consider their requirements and look at other enquiries from other parents!!!
There is so much choice out there at the moment....childcare market and all that jazz.......when the 30 hours kicks in the tune will change as childcare will be as precious as gold dust!

TinyTinker
30-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Sooo glad it's not just me! was starting to get a complex!

I have lost lots of mindees over the past few months due to maternity, work changes, moving away etc....but nobody is replacing them.

Like you I have had enquiries and people asking questions about my services, and even visits - but then they do the silent treatment on me - and I hear nothing - and am left assuming they went elsewhere!

I just wish people would get back in touch after an enquiry to tell you they have found something else or whatever - just out of common courtesy!

Simona
01-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Sooo glad it's not just me! was starting to get a complex!

I have lost lots of mindees over the past few months due to maternity, work changes, moving away etc....but nobody is replacing them.

Like you I have had enquiries and people asking questions about my services, and even visits - but then they do the silent treatment on me - and I hear nothing - and am left assuming they went elsewhere!

I just wish people would get back in touch after an enquiry to tell you they have found something else or whatever - just out of common courtesy!

Often parents won't come back...even if it would be a sign of respect to thank you for allowing them to visit your setting and giving your time.

One suggestion is to make sure you have their mobile and email and tell them you will be in touch to offer a second visit, if appropriate, and discuss care, if that is an option you have considered...that way they know you will respond to their initial enquiry!

I have often heard parents complain that providers do not get back to them...it is a 2 way system...put the ball in their court! :thumbsup:

samb
04-07-2015, 08:40 AM
That's a good idea simona- I think I will do that in future. I always have put it In their court to get in touch.