PDA

View Full Version : Bookstart packs for pre-schoolers.

Mouse
27-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Most children get a Bookstart pack before they start school, either from nursery or playgroup.

I have got a funded child who hasn't been to either and will start school in September. She hasn't had a pack, so I emailed Bookstart, who gave me the email address of the local co-ordinator, who in turn sent a pack to the library for me to collect. Mindee and I wandered to the library yesterday to get it - she was so excited!

You get a story book and a parent's guide in a cardboard envelope that has got cut-out activities on it. It's not much, but better than nothing!

So, if you have any children about to go to school who haven't received a pack through pre-school or nursery, send Bookstart an email and ask about getting them through your setting :thumbsup:

Bookstart Treasure gift | Bookstart (http://www.bookstart.org.uk/bookstart-packs/bookstart-treasure-chest/)

shortstuff
27-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Fab thanks mouse. I will ask as I have 4 starting yr r

Maza
27-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Well done Mouse for chasing it up. They are fab aren't they? Our library and our local CC are really good at promoting them and approach every one they see to make sure as many children as possible receive them - which is great if the kids actually attend the library, not sure how many kids must miss out though if they are not out and about in the community - or if the local library or CC has been closed down. x

miffy
27-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Our LA is quite good and the pack gets delivered to the setting where all or most of the funded hours are taken.
It's great - the coordinator rings to check the details and make sure they haven't missed anyone and then the pack is delivered to your door a few days later.

Miffy xx

Mouse
27-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Our LA is quite good and the pack gets delivered to the setting where all or most of the funded hours are taken.
It's great - the coordinator rings to check the details and make sure they haven't missed anyone and then the pack is delivered to your door a few days later.

Miffy xx

That's good. I don't think our LA has actually realised that some children have all of their funded hours with childminders and don't attend a nursery or preschool.

k1rstie
27-06-2015, 09:36 PM
I once saw a child in a school nursery getting a pack in Polish.

hectors house
28-06-2015, 07:33 PM
I was lucky enough to visit the library storytime during Bookstart week and all the children had a small version of Rumble in the Jungle book given to them.

loocyloo
28-06-2015, 07:57 PM
I was lucky enough to visit the library storytime during Bookstart week and all the children had a small version of Rumble in the Jungle book given to them.

:-) me too, we also got masks to make and a pairs game to cut out and play :-)
Bookstart are a brilliant charity

catswhiskers
28-06-2015, 11:05 PM
I've found Bookstart a bit hit and miss in the past.

One minute you get lots of stuff thrown at you and then nothing.

When I queried about a Bookstart pack a few years ago was told I didn't qualify so gave up and now didn't think they still existed!

Sorry but I find I can provide a better start to school than some of their Bookstart packs.