PDA

View Full Version : Bump on head

Ellisha
26-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Please help! I just got a text off my 16 month old mindee's Dad saying they have just noticed he has a bump and scratch on his forehead and did he fall over while I had him today. I text back to say no, and that he hadn't got upset at any point in the day if there was any chance I had missed him falling - although I said it was unlikely I had missed it. The text came 2.5 hours after he left for the evening so I'm surprised they've only just noticed it if he did it with me. Should I fill in an accident form? Or incident form? Or any other kind of form? Do I need to get parents to sign anything - although not sure they will if they haven't seen him hurt himself while with them. I feel terrible so please help.

sarah707
26-06-2015, 08:50 PM
I have sent you a message x

Simona
27-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Please help! I just got a text off my 16 month old mindee's Dad saying they have just noticed he has a bump and scratch on his forehead and did he fall over while I had him today. I text back to say no, and that he hadn't got upset at any point in the day if there was any chance I had missed him falling - although I said it was unlikely I had missed it. The text came 2.5 hours after he left for the evening so I'm surprised they've only just noticed it if he did it with me. Should I fill in an accident form? Or incident form? Or any other kind of form? Do I need to get parents to sign anything - although not sure they will if they haven't seen him hurt himself while with them. I feel terrible so please help.

Issues like this are very individual to each provider and it is absolutely imperative that any such discussions with parents are 'recorded'.
I am sure this comes under 'safeguarding'...so make sure you are aware of the actions you need to take.

I also feel it is important to speak directly to parents in such matters...a text is not really acceptable from them...I would have asked them to call me and discuss while taking note of what they were saying.
Please contact your EY team and someone will give you guidance on what you need to do...also check the relevant guidance on what you need to do

Hope it gets resolved.

redtiger21
27-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Try not to panic first of all- 16 month olds do take lots of tumbles and get lots of bumps, scratches, marks and bruises in the obvious places, foreheads included (I'm sure you know all about the irregular sites for injuries, from your safeguarding training). What I would do is make a note of the reported injury on a body map, noting down the date and time that it was reported to you by parents, and noting down the fact that you did not witness the injury at your setting, nor did you get any evidence of the injury at your setting such as crying/seeing a mark on child, etc. Then note down that parents claim not to have witnessed an incident at home or in their care, so cause of injury is not known at this time. Please don't worry! :)