PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessment-how often

welshgirl
04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Hello, hope you can help. I have completed a very lengthy form for Risk Assessment. How often should you do a Risk Assessment?

sarah707
04-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I date all my risk assessments to be reviewed annually and make notes if things change or happen which means I need to update them. I put the review date on teh bottom of the risk assessments and I make a note in my diary for when they need doing.

The eyfs requires that outings risk assessments are reviewed with each type of outing but it does not state whether the review needs to be recorded. No I can't make sense of that one either.

Hope this helps :D

Pipsqueak
04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Sarah can you help me out on this one (meant to have asked my DO this evening).

We are going on an organised trip by the Childrens centre on Thursday - under EYFS - would I have to have previously RA'd it or could I see if the CC has one?
I would RA it up to us getting on the coach and general RA for when we are there (id bands etc) but without previously visiting the place of these organised trips what else can I do

Cheers hun

sarah707
05-08-2008, 06:40 AM
I would do a general outing risk assessment for it ... include things like wearing wrist band / going in car (refer to car outing risk assessment) / checking the setting before letting children go off to play / making sure doors are secure etc...

Then when you are there ask if they've got something for your files.

At the moment, you're fine anyway because it's not 1st Sept, so it's useful to make this trip and put any retrospective stuff you spot into your assessment for next time you go.

In the future, it is good practice to visit places before taking children to check them out... hmmm :D

angeldelight
05-08-2008, 06:45 AM
In the future, it is good practice to visit places before taking children to check them out... hmmm :D

Yeah like we are all going to be able to do that !!

Angel xxx

Bushpig
05-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah like we are all going to be able to do that !!

Angel xxx

I agree... totally impractical. I review mine if there is a change... look at them now and again. Do one for new places.

Pipsqueak
05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I would do a general outing risk assessment for it ... include things like wearing wrist band / going in car (refer to car outing risk assessment) / checking the setting before letting children go off to play / making sure doors are secure etc...

Then when you are there ask if they've got something for your files.

At the moment, you're fine anyway because it's not 1st Sept, so it's useful to make this trip and put any retrospective stuff you spot into your assessment for next time you go.

Thanks sarah. The thing is this is a pay as you enter place (a hall/museum type thing), so........ (technically) I (we) are going to have to visit (and pay) to "check the place out" prior to taking the kids?:panic:
I know what you mean though and its a good idea to ask the place when you are there, might just go and ask the CC too.

welshgirl
05-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for your repy Sarah. You really are a wealth of knowledge on all things childminding. Is there somewhere on here for just general childminding chat/advice?

miffy
05-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your repy Sarah. You really are a wealth of knowledge on all things childminding. Is there somewhere on here for just general childminding chat/advice?

Yep - minding chat section :)

Miffy xx

buildingblocks
07-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah like we are all going to be able to do that !!Angel xxx

too flaming true

Last year we took two mindees to the Deep ona spur of hte moment thing sas hubby managed to get a day booked off at last minute to take us out for the day.

This cost us
30 mile trip one way
Bridge fee of £2.50/£2.70 one way
Entry fee for one adult about £8

So to go and check it out would have cost
petrol for a 60 mile trip + £5 + £16 just top check out for a Trip that might happen

Sorry but I used common sense for that trip and was constantly vigilant the whole time we were there adn were perfectly safe. The boys had a great day out compared to a normal day where we would have gone to the local dump of a park and played in the garden.

Nicki L
07-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Are there any risk assessments that we have to do and document, i dont have any written down!!!!! i have inspection next friday