PDA

View Full Version : What are you best/must have/really really need resources

FussyElmo
25-06-2015, 09:52 AM
for encouraging communication for 2 year olds.

I really need to improve in this area of my resources

hectors house
25-06-2015, 10:08 AM
I sometimes have out my daughter's old karaoke machine and put on a Nursery Rhyme CD or CBeebies songs and the children like singing into the microphone.

I don't have any ready made story sacks but sometimes use my soft toys as props for favourite stories and then leave them out with the book for the children to look at and sometimes quote part of the stories when playing by themselves or with other mindees.

I also do a "Circle time" where the children self register and choose what they want to play with (from photo cards), help with calendar and weather chart and then we have a chat about what they have been doing or where they have been.

FloraDora
25-06-2015, 12:24 PM
I can't say that I have 'a'. Resource that I use to support communication, all do. Play is inexplicably linked with language development, I am the best resource, as my vocabulary and narrative when I play with the children supports their speaking, listening and understanding, I talk to them at an equal level, explain or become part of their imaginary world etc...
A variety of Books and stories enable a rich language to be explored, children to listen and talk about the story or pictures aids their understanding. Props to support the books often engage the child and give opportunities to re tell the story or use story language.
Conversation around the breakfast and lunch table is another key language rich, opportunity to listen time, DH and I have all our meals with the children and we chatter with them about our lives , our day, favourite activities, what we are doing next, food, routine etc...
Walking out and looking, listening and touching things in our environment.
Listening to music and songs, learning the songs and rhymes....listening carefully when playing instruments for different ️sounds or rhythms, loud and quiet - a good variety of musical instruments helps here...
A rich environment of general resources is all that's needed I think, so perhaps an audit of smallworld or science equipt ( for how, why talks) or books linked with current children's interests for opportunities to talk might be a starting point?

sarah707
25-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Our role play sessions are great for communication.

Little ones love one-to-one computer games as well. They each get time with an adult to play and chat.

I wrote this blog recently which might give some ideas - https://knutsfordchildminding.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/asking-open-ended-questions/.

We also have things like telephones, talking tins, voice recorder, too many books.... which I am sure you've got too :D

FussyElmo
26-06-2015, 05:53 AM
Too many resources.........................

Always swapping them around to try and keep things fresh.

Hectors House love the Karaoke machine idea that's what I want something a bit different but what the children will play with/use. Recently introduced walkie talkies into the house and they have become the most used resource by all the age groups.

Cheers Sarah will read your blog later :thumbsup:

hectors house
26-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Too many resources.........................

Always swapping them around to try and keep things fresh.

Hectors House love the Karaoke machine idea that's what I want something a bit different but what the children will play with/use. Recently introduced walkie talkies into the house and they have become the most used resource by all the age groups.

Cheers Sarah will read your blog later :thumbsup:

We did have walkie talkies but broken now, will have to see about replacing as they did love them.

Simona
26-06-2015, 12:02 PM
I can't say that I have 'a'. Resource that I use to support communication, all do. Play is inexplicably linked with language development, I am the best resource, as my vocabulary and narrative when I play with the children supports their speaking, listening and understanding, I talk to them at an equal level, explain or become part of their imaginary world etc...
A variety of Books and stories enable a rich language to be explored, children to listen and talk about the story or pictures aids their understanding. Props to support the books often engage the child and give opportunities to re tell the story or use story language.
Conversation around the breakfast and lunch table is another key language rich, opportunity to listen time, DH and I have all our meals with the children and we chatter with them about our lives , our day, favourite activities, what we are doing next, food, routine etc...
Walking out and looking, listening and touching things in our environment.
Listening to music and songs, learning the songs and rhymes....listening carefully when playing instruments for different ️sounds or rhythms, loud and quiet - a good variety of musical instruments helps here...
A rich environment of general resources is all that's needed I think, so perhaps an audit of smallworld or science equipt ( for how, why talks) or books linked with current children's interests for opportunities to talk might be a starting point?

That is just spot on Flora Dora!
Play and 'us' are the best resources when we encourage communication with these very young children especially as, at that age, they need time to express themselves without being rushed or us answering for them! :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
26-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Ok maybe I have asked the question wrong. Obviously the best resource is the adult.

But like HH and Sarah have offered their role play area/karaoke machine. I have found the walkie talkies an amazing asset.

What if you were to keep 1 resource or only could buy 1 more resource would it be. Or maybe something if you could recommend to every cm out there because you know it makes a difference.

A local cm suggested her big mirror. Another one suggested photographs but what she does is put them as a slideshow on the tv so the children can talk to each other about what they have done and where they have been

So what would yours be?

lollipop kid
26-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Ok maybe I have asked the question wrong. Obviously the best resource is the adult.

But like HH and Sarah have offered their role play area/karaoke machine. I have found the walkie talkies an amazing asset.

What if you were to keep 1 resource or only could buy 1 more resource would it be. Or maybe something if you could recommend to every cm out there because you know it makes a difference.

A local cm suggested her big mirror.

So what would yours be?

Mine would have to be my "story den" and my soft mats (both used indoors and out).

I got it in Aldi years ago, and it lives in its own bag behind a bookshelf in my quiet room. I put cushions and a box of books in it, and the children love it when it comes out. We call it the "den", and it can be used in the garden as well. (I put a big cover over it for shade in the garden.) They go in there (it can happily accommodate 3) and it's really hard to get them out. The communication taking place in there is magical. (I also take it to the "Meet the Childminder" events that my local authority sometimes puts on, and it's always a big draw, as I find that the visiting children can't wait to crawl in and leaf through the books inside, either.)

I position it on my ELC mats and they love it. (These are another thing I couldn't do without, as I put these down when I have pre-mobile, sitting babies. (I put a curved, beanbag pillow behind them and toys in front to stop them falling over.)

Mats:

New ELC Boys and Girls 12 Recreation Mats Toy From 3 years | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ELC-Boys-and-Girls-12-Recreation-Mats-Toy-From-3-years/221797985827?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3D3350350e117541d0842 9e3220eb973e2%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D30%2 6sd%3D321704467585)

Den:

Buy Tesco Dinosaur Play Tent from our Playtents & Houses range - Tesco (http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-dinosaur-play-tent/774-6314.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=774-6314)

(Mine is a bit like this one but just plain primary colours and possible some more mesh on the sides so they can see out.)

Lidl and Aldi have these a lot.

Hope it helps,

L

PS: Just thought of another one. Aldi are selling a mini-gazebo (sunshade) for £15 right now (25th June offer). It's just the right size for my rather small garden, and given that we're approaching that time of year when the sun is going to go mad, then I think this might come in very handy! I'm also planning to make use of it above my patio for covered play when it's raining. :D https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-25-june/product-detail/ps/p/gazebo-1/

I also picked up two of their solar-reflective child tents a week or so ago, which fold easily back into a little circular bag, but each one is big enough for two x car mad 3 year olds, a road rug and box of cars. (Tried and tested.) They also became their 'bedrooms' on the same day - the rug came out and in went lots of blankets, and they were telling each other stories for 'sleepy-time'. Bless!!

Hope it helps.

mumofone
19-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Mine would have to be my "story den" and my soft mats (both used indoors and out).

I got it in Aldi years ago, and it lives in its own bag behind a bookshelf in my quiet room. I put cushions and a box of books in it, and the children love it when it comes out. We call it the "den", and it can be used in the garden as well. (I put a big cover over it for shade in the garden.) They go in there (it can happily accommodate 3) and it's really hard to get them out. The communication taking place in there is magical. (I also take it to the "Meet the Childminder" events that my local authority sometimes puts on, and it's always a big draw, as I find that the visiting children can't wait to crawl in and leaf through the books inside, either.)

I position it on my ELC mats and they love it. (These are another thing I couldn't do without, as I put these down when I have pre-mobile, sitting babies. (I put a curved, beanbag pillow behind them and toys in front to stop them falling over.)

Mats:

New ELC Boys and Girls 12 Recreation Mats Toy From 3 years | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ELC-Boys-and-Girls-12-Recreation-Mats-Toy-From-3-years/221797985827?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3D3350350e117541d0842 9e3220eb973e2%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D30%2 6sd%3D321704467585)

Den:

Buy Tesco Dinosaur Play Tent from our Playtents & Houses range - Tesco (http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-dinosaur-play-tent/774-6314.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=774-6314)

(Mine is a bit like this one but just plain primary colours and possible some more mesh on the sides so they can see out.)

Lidl and Aldi have these a lot.

Hope it helps,

L

PS: Just thought of another one. Aldi are selling a mini-gazebo (sunshade) for £15 right now (25th June offer). It's just the right size for my rather small garden, and given that we're approaching that time of year when the sun is going to go mad, then I think this might come in very handy! I'm also planning to make use of it above my patio for covered play when it's raining. :D https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-25-june/product-detail/ps/p/gazebo-1/

I also picked up two of their solar-reflective child tents a week or so ago, which fold easily back into a little circular bag, but each one is big enough for two x car mad 3 year olds, a road rug and box of cars. (Tried and tested.) They also became their 'bedrooms' on the same day - the rug came out and in went lots of blankets, and they were telling each other stories for 'sleepy-time'. Bless!!

Hope it helps.

Just looking for feedback on this mini gazebo by ALDI, has anyone got one? Thanks :-)

lollipop kid
19-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Just looking for feedback on this mini gazebo by ALDI, has anyone got one? Thanks :-)

It was the perfect size, but was only good for one use. I found it hard to put up alone, and its plastic brackets are rubbish.

I'm now looking for an alternative myself.

LK

mumofone
19-07-2015, 10:11 AM
It was the perfect size, but was only good for one use. I found it hard to put up alone, and its plastic brackets are rubbish. I'm now looking for an alternative myself. LK

Thanks LK, if you find a good alternative please let me know! :-)