PDA

View Full Version : Babies that dont nap for you?

mumofone
25-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have this? Any advice? What dyou do?

FussyElmo
25-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Does anyone have this? Any advice? What dyou do?

Do you mean they don't nap or that they struggle to settle for a sleep for you but will nap at home.

if its the baby wont nap then I go by the child's needs.

If its because of them not settling then its trial and area until you find the right way for the baby. Darkened room, using a pushchair, being rocked, babywearing

shortstuff
25-06-2015, 12:15 PM
have you asked the parents what the childs usual routine is for going down for a nap?

Sorry if that sounds basic but it might just be a very simple part of the routine you dont know about which would help.

shortstuff
25-06-2015, 12:18 PM
I should add that the reason I say this is because I too have suffered the age old problem of a parent who cuddles their child to sleep and didnt bother to tell me. Had i known I could have been prepared for it. I had the older sibling and met this particular child at 3 days old. But mum neglected to tell me about the need to be cuddled as this was the habit mum had created.

mumofone
25-06-2015, 12:33 PM
have you asked the parents what the childs usual routine is for going down for a nap? Sorry if that sounds basic but it might just be a very simple part of the routine you dont know about which would help.

Yep I've got their normal schedule with naps... :-)

moggy
25-06-2015, 12:52 PM
It can take a little while for a baby to settle into their usual routine with you.

Often a '2-hour nap after lunch' baby will wake after 45mins and not be able to get back to sleep again. But once they feel secure and settled they are able to get themselves back to sleep if they stir and soom enough they are having 2 hours solid.

Naps can also go differently with us because the whole day can be so different for them- more stimulating, busy, out and about, lots going on, in/out of buggy etc. It can take time- I tend to stick to the routine, put baby down to sleep following the routine and try to settle them. A point comes when I give up (if they are just crying and crying) and try again the next day! But I do persist with the routine and so far it has always worked over a few weeks.

What's happening with this baby?

mumofone
25-06-2015, 01:31 PM
It can take a little while for a baby to settle into their usual routine with you. Often a '2-hour nap after lunch' baby will wake after 45mins and not be able to get back to sleep again. But once they feel secure and settled they are able to get themselves back to sleep if they stir and soom enough they are having 2 hours solid. Naps can also go differently with us because the whole day can be so different for them- more stimulating, busy, out and about, lots going on, in/out of buggy etc. It can take time- I tend to stick to the routine, put baby down to sleep following the routine and try to settle them. A point comes when I give up (if they are just crying and crying) and try again the next day! But I do persist with the routine and so far it has always worked over a few weeks. What's happening with this baby?

Thanks moggy, they just don't go down to sleep for me. I don't blame them as I don't think my child would for anyone else to be honest! They're only with me one day a week so I don't think it's a huge problem for them me or the parents but I do feel a bit of a failure as a CM if I can't get them to nap. If they go over tired obviously the day is more trying for all concerned so that's my only issue.

Rubybubbles
25-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Really depends on the child! I have one who would fall asleep straight away if placed in the cot- tired or not!!

My other one doesn't sleep- 18 months old full of beans will only go in the pram and have 20 minutes. The other day they had 2 hours and I was checking on them all the time lol!!

For one day a week that's most likely the reason- not much routine can be made in 1 day! Mine rest on the sofa and read books if not sleeping just so I can also sit for a wee while!

natlou82
25-06-2015, 01:44 PM
I had this with one of mine, she was an excellent sleeper at home 3hrs ish but when she started with me (also 1 day a week back then) she would have 45 mins! It took time but eventually she slept the same as at home. When they only come once a week you have to be prepared for settling to take much longer, but it's definitely worth persevering, my once a week child is now full time! And is currently enjoying her nap lol!