PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet fever...?

mumofone
24-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Can anyone tell me what this is and what you've done when mindees have it?

AliceK
24-06-2015, 11:31 AM
It is very contagious and the infected child will need to be kept away from school / child care setting.

xx

hectors house
24-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Follow the exclusion advice from Health Authority and e-mail Ofsted informing them that a child in your setting has been diagnosed as it's on the "Notifiable illnesses" list.

Maza
24-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I had it years ago and to be honest the child would be too ill to be with you anyway.

mumofone
24-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys, it hasn't been confirmed that's wvT it is but should i inform ofsfed in the meantime anyway?

hectors house
24-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys, it hasn't been confirmed that's wvT it is but should i inform ofsfed in the meantime anyway?

Probably best to get it confirmed - I notified them once about a child with mumps but it turned out it wasn't.

mumofone
24-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Probably best to get it confirmed - I notified them once about a child with mumps but it turned out it wasn't.

Thanks hh, dyou know where I can get the list of notifiable illnesses? I can't recall seeing it...

Simona
24-06-2015, 07:24 PM

Ofsted do not need to be notified for illness where you will exclude children for the required time ...if we all did that Ofsted would be inundated with calls!
There are instances where you are required to notify the inspectorate...scarlet fever is not one of them.

If you google Public Health England you can download their guidance...and print it for your portfolio as it is only a few pages long.....scarlet fever is covered on page 5

mumofone
24-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Ofsted do not need to be notified for illness where you will exclude children for the required time ...if we all did that Ofsted would be inundated with calls! There are instances where you are required to notify the inspectorate...scarlet fever is not one of them. If you google Public Health England you can download their guidance...and print it for your portfolio as it is only a few pages long.....scarlet fever is covered on page 5

Thanks Simona :-) I'm wondering how you and hectors house have conflicting info?

natlou82
24-06-2015, 07:41 PM
I also believed that scarlet fever is on the notifiable diseases list. I follow HPA guidance and I have the info printed in my file - unless it's been taken off the list??

Simona
24-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks Simona :-) I'm wondering how you and hectors house have conflicting info?

Both scarlet fever and mumps require exclusion but are not notifiiable illnesses
Check Public Health Englad guidance and those illnesses that are notifiable will have an asterisk next to them

natlou82
24-06-2015, 07:51 PM
It's still on Gov.uk as a notifiable so personally I would still report. As you are receiving conflicting info on this mumofone I suggest you do your own research to make an informed choice on whether to report.

Simona
24-06-2015, 07:54 PM
More information here...scarlet fever is notified to GPs who will then recommend exclusion for 24 hours and notify local health protection teams
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/scarlet-fever-guidance-and-data

HPA has been replaced by PHE

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/322727/PHE_Interim_guidelines_for_scarlet_fever_outbreaks _in_schools_and_nurseriesFINAL2.pdf

mumofone
24-06-2015, 07:55 PM
It's still on Gov.uk as a notifiable so personally I would still report. As you are receiving conflicting info on this mumofone I suggest you do your own research to make an informed choice on whether to report.

Yep sorry guys, I haven't looked into this yet myself! :-)

mumofone
24-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Ofsted do not need to be notified for illness where you will exclude children for the required time ...if we all did that Ofsted would be inundated with calls!
There are instances where you are required to notify the inspectorate...scarlet fever is not one of them.

If you google Public Health England you can download their guidance...and print it for your portfolio as it is only a few pages long.....scarlet fever is covered on page 5

Whats the actual name of the document Simona? Thanks

mumofone
24-06-2015, 08:21 PM
I also believed that scarlet fever is on the notifiable diseases list. I follow HPA guidance and I have the info printed in my file - unless it's been taken off the list??

Its on there but doesnt mention notifying anyone (unless im missing something, quite probably!)

Simona
24-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Its on there but doesnt mention notifying anyone (unless im missing something, quite probably!)

Google PHE and read the various docs there which I have given you a link.....it does explain who does what.

natlou82
24-06-2015, 09:07 PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/353953/Guidance_on_infection_control_in_schools_11_Sept.p df

This is the document I use.

Simona
24-06-2015, 10:55 PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/353953/Guidance_on_infection_control_in_schools_11_Sept.p df

This is the document I use.

That's the one :thumbsup: