PDA

View Full Version : Planning and next steps

mumofone
23-06-2015, 08:11 PM
So apparently now we are not required to write down our planning but where does this leave "next steps" as they are planning. Do we still have to record them or do we just need to note observations now? Confused! (Yes I know, whats new!) :-)

moggy
23-06-2015, 09:11 PM
I think all this comes down to find what works for you...

If you can memorize where all your EYFS children are in their learning (and you could have 4, 5, 6+ on your books), what their next steps are and how you plan to support them then fabulous! No need to write it down. But how will you communicate all that to parents? If you can do that verbally in an effective way then great!

BUT...

The reality is we can not remember all that info (especially if asked at inspection) and we can not communicate these things to parents verbally.

SO...

It is useful to write things down (even if it is not a 'requirement' to write it down)

How/where/when you write it down is up to you: Diary? wall planner? folder? online? hand written? typed out? post-it notes? scrap book? weekly? monthly? termly? use the words 'next steps'/'PLOD'/'planning'/'play plans'...it is up to you. Read the EYFS- it says very little actually, not many specifics. Whatever works for you AND work for your parents is good.

Dept of Ed/Ofsted are not going to prescribe HOW we do things. They just look at whatever it is we do do and judge that. That ain't gonna change so we need to live with it and just find our own way, try not to compare systems with other people too much because what works for one of us might be a disaster for another of us. Have confidence in what you are doing, adapt and improve as you go along.

bunyip
23-06-2015, 09:36 PM
I think all this comes down to find what works for you...

If you can memorize where all your EYFS children are in their learning (and you could have 4, 5, 6+ on your books), what their next steps are and how you plan to support them then fabulous! No need to write it down. But how will you communicate all that to parents? If you can do that verbally in an effective way then great!

BUT...

The reality is we can not remember all that info (especially if asked at inspection) and we can not communicate these things to parents verbally.

SO...

It is useful to write things down (even if it is not a 'requirement' to write it down)

Me too, Moggy. This is an excellent summary of my situation.

One of my (lovely) clients has all sorts of psychological certificates and says I am a "visual thinker" so I'm the kind of person who finds it helpful to write down my thoughts, see things on paper, and review them from time to time in an orderly fashion. Gosh, but I have some smart mummies. :)

Mrs bunyip, who OTOH has no certificates and no problem with calling a spade an effing shovel, says I'm just a thick tw4t who can't remember to get up in the morning unless he has the words "Get up now!" written on a post-it note affixed to his Snoopy & Woodstock alarm clock. (You'd probably get on. :rolleyes:)

2 thinks worth thinking 'bout:-

1. I was brainwashed (sorry, I mean "trained") into the habit of having a "next steps" to accompany every single LJ observation entry. But the nursery with whom I've shared several victims (sorry, I mean "children") tend to run with only 1 or 2 "next steps" per child at any one time - 1 per aspect of L&D at most.

2. I find the term "next steps" a bit cliched and, like most trendy childcare terms, quickly becomes jaded and unhelpful. Where I used to write "next steps", I've recently begun to pepper the LJ's with alternative terms such as "challenge: .............." or "we'll try this..............." (yeah, OK, so I stole the idea from a friend but she don't mind, she suggested I try it, and I repaid the favour in a big way.) I've done reviews with a couple of families recently and both commented and took more interest in this than the old "next steps" thing. Another unpopular view (he says, donning the much-worn family flak-vest yet again) but I think we "professionals" tend to get a bit hooked on the 'industry standard' jargon without ever wondering if it means a d4mned thing to the people who matter.

mumofone
24-06-2015, 04:31 PM
I think all this comes down to find what works for you... If you can memorize where all your EYFS children are in their learning (and you could have 4, 5, 6+ on your books), what their next steps are and how you plan to support them then fabulous! No need to write it down. But how will you communicate all that to parents? If you can do that verbally in an effective way then great! BUT... The reality is we can not remember all that info (especially if asked at inspection) and we can not communicate these things to parents verbally. SO... It is useful to write things down (even if it is not a 'requirement' to write it down) How/where/when you write it down is up to you: Diary? wall planner? folder? online? hand written? typed out? post-it notes? scrap book? weekly? monthly? termly? use the words 'next steps'/'PLOD'/'planning'/'play plans'...it is up to you. Read the EYFS- it says very little actually, not many specifics. Whatever works for you AND work for your parents is good. Dept of Ed/Ofsted are not going to prescribe HOW we do things. They just look at whatever it is we do do and judge that. That ain't gonna change so we need to live with it and just find our own way, try not to compare systems with other people too much because what works for one of us might be a disaster for another of us. Have confidence in what you are doing, adapt and improve as you go along.

Thanks moggy, good point. Thank you

mumofone
24-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Me too, Moggy. This is an excellent summary of my situation. One of my (lovely) clients has all sorts of psychological certificates and says I am a "visual thinker" so I'm the kind of person who finds it helpful to write down my thoughts, see things on paper, and review them from time to time in an orderly fashion. Gosh, but I have some smart mummies. :) Mrs bunyip, who OTOH has no certificates and no problem with calling a spade an effing shovel, says I'm just a thick tw4t who can't remember to get up in the morning unless he has the words "Get up now!" written on a post-it note affixed to his Snoopy & Woodstock alarm clock. (You'd probably get on. :rolleyes:) 2 thinks worth thinking 'bout:- 1. I was brainwashed (sorry, I mean "trained") into the habit of having a "next steps" to accompany every single LJ observation entry. But the nursery with whom I've shared several victims (sorry, I mean "children") tend to run with only 1 or 2 "next steps" per child at any one time - 1 per aspect of L&D at most. 2. I find the term "next steps" a bit cliched and, like most trendy childcare terms, quickly becomes jaded and unhelpful. Where I used to write "next steps", I've recently begun to pepper the LJ's with alternative terms such as "challenge: .............." or "we'll try this..............." (yeah, OK, so I stole the idea from a friend but she don't mind, she suggested I try it, and I repaid the favour in a big way.) I've done reviews with a couple of families recently and both commented and took more interest in this than the old "next steps" thing. Another unpopular view (he says, donning the much-worn family flak-vest yet again) but I think we "professionals" tend to get a bit hooked on the 'industry standard' jargon without ever wondering if it means a d4mned thing to the people who matter.

Thanks bunyip, I think it may be as simple as the term "next steps" working for me so I'll try swapping it out for another term.

Simona
24-06-2015, 05:27 PM
So apparently now we are not required to write down our planning but where does this leave "next steps" as they are planning. Do we still have to record them or do we just need to note observations now? Confused! (Yes I know, whats new!) :-)

Do you have a link where you have read about planning not required?
I have just attended the London OBC and I must admit Ofsted did not talk at all about planning...the emphasis is on learning linked to CoEL, assessment and teaching...and 'starting points' that lead to outcomes!