PDA

View Full Version : Splinter! What would you do?

mumofone
22-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Another day, another dilemma! My mindee got a splinter today in her leg off our wood coffee table (oops). She cried (bawled) her eyes out and refused to let me remove it, I got my "fun" first aid plasters and everything all ready to go but she was having none of it and wanted parent to take it out who was half an hour away. I literally couldn't get her to let me take it out so we waited for her to be picked up and she went home with dad with it in her leg for mum to take out at home.
So my questions are should I have dealt with this differently and do I really have to do an accident form for a splinter?

sing-low
22-06-2015, 07:20 PM
We were advised on our first aid course not to remove splinters as it's an invasive procedure and it would be easy to leave a bit in or make it worse. Especially if a LO is upset, I'd let parents deal with it. And yes, you do need an accident form.

moggy
22-06-2015, 07:22 PM
I would do an accident form for a splinter- parent needs to know splinter is there and how it happened and you need to show that you informed parents, that is what form is for. Also you can record the fuss the child made and your actions so parents know (in case of any questions like 'why didn't you...'! etc)

I would not be entering into a battle over a splinter- if child wants to wait for parents then fine. Plaster is on offer if they want it. This is assuming it is a minor splinter, not a big nasty one that might be made worse by not dealing with it. So I think you did fine.

FussyElmo
22-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Apparently duct tape is really good for removing splinters...........................

moggy
22-06-2015, 07:27 PM
First aid courses vary on this one- ours said to use common sense, if it is an easy one to take out and you feel confident then go ahead rather then leaving child in pain all day. If in doubt get advise from parent/minor injuries etc. There is no written 'rule' saying we should or shouldn't deal with splinters, as far as I know. I actually mention removal of minor splinters in my permissions form along with personal care tasks like trimming a split finger nail so I know I have it covered.

AliceK
22-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Apparently duct tape is really good for removing splinters...........................

Whats is it with duct tape?? Apparently it's good for everything, or so I keep on reading lol. Think I need to stock up on it :)

xx

mumofone
22-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys, I was just so glad it hPpened close to home time otherwise I don't know what I would have find

mumofone
22-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys, I was just so glad it hPpened close to home time otherwise I don't know what I would have find

Would have done

Maza
22-06-2015, 07:43 PM
On my first aid course they said to leave splinters in mindees because of the reasons mentioned by Sing low. They did say though that we could use common sense with OUR OWN child and remove it if we thought we could. If mindee was screaming that much then I would phone parents to collect. Yes, you need an accident form. It's easier for them to remove it in the bath when the skin is nice and soft.

FussyElmo
22-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Whats is it with duct tape?? Apparently it's good for everything, or so I keep on reading lol. Think I need to stock up on it :)

xx

At the very least it will stop them crying :ROFL1::ROFL1:

But in all seriousness put a piece of duct tape over the splinter and it will draw it to the surface - good for verruca's and warts too apparently but don't blame me if it doesn't work :D

loocyloo
22-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Lol ... my mum had a splinter that she couldn't get out and showed me at the weekend ( all red and I could see splinter deep in finger ) .. I put a dab of germoline on it and then a plaster ... and in the morning it had come out :-);-):-) ..my mum thought it was magic. X