PDA

View Full Version : Assistant advice asap please HELP

friendly
21-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Hello I have been shadowing a friend for a few months (shes a registerd childminder) and I have done my paediatric first aid and my crb check is done too .the childminders told me that I am a registerd assistant but keeps fobbing me off to put me through the books with her accountant and start me properly.theres another girl she has also doing the same as me the odd hour here and there nothing set in stone.
thing is my family foster and I don't want to be prosecuted for not having the relevant registration ect because it will reflect badly on my crb with me working with children and will come back as a offence with children .then that will leave me not being able to visit my family because of children in care.
also the other assistant with is works in the care home industry and she cant afford a mark on her crb either. can some one please advise me of wethere I can find proof to see if shes actually registerd us both or direct me to were we can find out please and many thanks x

hectors house
22-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Have you discussed with this childminder whether she intends to employ you to be her assistant - you would get sick pay, holiday pay and be entitled to a pension, or whether she intends for you to be self employed in which case you wouldn't get any pay if you didn't work. I think lots of childminding assistants are self employed. You also need to discuss with her your contract and the number of hours you will be working and what happens if the children are ill and you are not needed to work. Not sure what you meant about being prosecuted, you have your CRB (although this may need to be redone as a DBS and you may need to pay for the annual updates), I had a letter from Ofsted saying that my daughter was suitable to work with children and to be my assistant not sure if this is just for family members or whether your childminding friend will receive one from Ofsted for you.

Simona
22-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Hello I have been shadowing a friend for a few months (shes a registerd childminder) and I have done my paediatric first aid and my crb check is done too .the childminders told me that I am a registerd assistant but keeps fobbing me off to put me through the books with her accountant and start me properly.theres another girl she has also doing the same as me the odd hour here and there nothing set in stone.
thing is my family foster and I don't want to be prosecuted for not having the relevant registration ect because it will reflect badly on my crb with me working with children and will come back as a offence with children .then that will leave me not being able to visit my family because of children in care.
also the other assistant with is works in the care home industry and she cant afford a mark on her crb either. can some one please advise me of wethere I can find proof to see if shes actually registerd us both or direct me to were we can find out please and many thanks x

I would give the Inland Revenue a call to clarify 'self employment'
If you are self employed or freelance you could look for work wherever it comes from...if your cm asks you to work for her on a certain day but you are booked elsewhere then she would not be able to do anything about it.

Get the facts from HMRC so you know where you stand.
Co minders can be self employed but assistants are different.